Menu

Speach Bubble Books (Like Piggie and Elephant)

goldenecho

Does anyone know of any other good easy reader books with speech bubbles, like Piggie and Elephant?

Could be comic books...could be books that had a script with two parts (like a play).   The main thing is that the child I'm working with really likes the back and forth where I read some and she reads some. 

I'd LOVE to find leveled readers like this too!

7 hours ago, SusanC said:

Progressive Phonics had some you-read I-read components. It was a free resource that you printed, so you could check and see if there is anything that would be useful for you.

I love Progressive Phonics and it worked really well with my son, but the child I'm tutoring now  did not like those, unfortunately.     Getting to take turns was motivating for her...but it was the dialogue aspect and getting to play a part that I think was motivating to her specifically.   I'm thinking readers theater type things might work too. 

Edited by goldenecho
  • Like 1

We also have the Usborne Very First Reading series.  It was a handy supplement in the early stages when the amount they can decode is so limited.  In the first seven books, each page has some regular text intended for the grown up to read and some simpler, large print text for the child.

To give you an idea of level, the opening spread of book 1 "Pirate Pat" has the adult read, "The night was cold, the sky was black, the window rattled..." and the child reads "tap tap tap".

It ramps up pretty quickly though, and by book 8 "Moon Zoom" the child is reading all of it.  Sample first page: "The moon is bright tonight.  The attic fills with silver light.  Jack cannot sleep."  There are 15 leveled books in our box set.