Menu

New Puppy we are considering! Need list to buy and questions! UPDATE !!! SEPT 4, May 3 - PICTURES!!!

sheryl

2 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

It could be fruity pebbles and I'd still say wait a week. One week of anything, even if you think it is junkfood, isn't going to make a huge difference, and switching while the dog is already under stress, and getting different water, could equal a puppy with diarrhea. And then she won't know if the new dog food is the problem, or the stress of the new home or new treats or new water source or what. Very hard to figure out if the food is not agreeing with the dog or something else. Not to mention that the last thing she needs is to be trying to potty train a puppy with diarrhea. And of course, with a young puppy you really can't just wait and see with diarrhea - you do need to get to the vet to rule out parasites, parvo, etc. 

So, basically, a bunch of potential issues that could be avoided by waiting a week. And again, the puppy has been eating this all along, one more week isn't going to make or break this dog's life long nutritional status. Kind of like how people adoption a child from another place are not supposed to switch the diet right away, even if it is terrible. Too many changes at once isn't good. 

We disagree. A transitioned crossover would not be at all stressful and that food is terrible. 

Bill

• Like 1

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Pen said:

But not just calories.  If just calories they could be fed something high in calories (but nutritionally useless or detrimental) and it could seem like a good buy, but be bad for the dog.

like cheap human fast food joints typically 

The curious thing is that while human junk food is loaded with extra fat, cheap dog food--with a species that thrives on fat--never is.

Obviously a consumer should evaluate a formal globally--to the best of his or her ability with current labeling laws--but then, to factor the true cost, one needs to adjust for calories per dollar spent on the food. As you first suggested.

Bill

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

We disagree. A transitioned crossover would not be at all stressful and that food is terrible. 

Bill

Having dealt with hundreds of puppies working in veterinary clinics for two decades, I can say that even just a change in water source, from one municipality to another, can be enough to give a young puppy diarrhea. A new home on it's own can give a puppy diarrhea. New treats can give a puppy diarrhea. New food absolutely can do that, most especially when combined with the other things. A week or so later, when puppy has acclimated to the new home and water, and you see that puppy is doing well, switching gradually over a week or two won't be stressful. Too many new things at once absolutely can be, and then it's very difficult to tell what is causing the issue, with so many possibilities. 

• Like 3

Just now, Ktgrok said:

Having dealt with hundreds of puppies working in veterinary clinics for two decades, I can say that even just a change in water source, from one municipality to another, can be enough to give a young puppy diarrhea. A new home on it's own can give a puppy diarrhea. New treats can give a puppy diarrhea. New food absolutely can do that, most especially when combined with the other things. A week or so later, when puppy has acclimated to the new home and water, and you see that puppy is doing well, switching gradually over a week or two won't be stressful. Too many new things at once absolutely can be, and then it's very difficult to tell what is causing the issue, with so many possibilities. 

And feeding really crappy food can give a puppy diarrhea. I'd get off the RC ASAP.

You'd stay on fruit pebbles. We don't have a meeting of the minds on this issue.

I hope you stay safe from the hurricane.

Bill

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spy Car said:

And feeding really crappy food can give a puppy diarrhea. I'd get off the RC ASAP.

You'd stay on fruit pebbles. We don't have a meeting of the minds on this issue.

I hope you stay safe from the hurricane.

Bill

True, but the puppy is already on this food, and not having diarrhea ( I assume, or the breeder would have told her/not sell it). And yes, it is my medical opinion from decades of experience with hundreds of puppies that switching food, no matter what the food the dog is used to, is a bad idea for the first week or so. Once you are sure puppy has no tummy troubles, then switch. 

And thank you. I'm inland enough I should just lose power, maybe a fence or trees, but the coast may get hammered. My parents are on a barrier island and my aunt has had her house devastated twice in the last few years from hurricanes. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Ktgrok said:

True, but the puppy is already on this food, and not having diarrhea ( I assume, or the breeder would have told her/not sell it). And yes, it is my medical opinion from decades of experience with hundreds of puppies that switching food, no matter what the food the dog is used to, is a bad idea for the first week or so. Once you are sure puppy has no tummy troubles, then switch. 

And thank you. I'm inland enough I should just lose power, maybe a fence or trees, but the coast may get hammered. My parents are on a barrier island and my aunt has had her house devastated twice in the last few years from hurricanes. 

Best thoughts for you and your family.

I've never experienced that sort of thing. Earthquakes don't phase me. Hurricanes? I dunno.

Bill

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pen said:

I agree.  

All that gluten.  

Many People aren’t good with tons of gluten and can’t digest it, even if they are not celiac, and it has other autoimmunity problems associated with it besides celiac.  dogs as more nearly carnivores aren’t likely to do at all well with that.

Our vet thinks grains in general give dogs joint problems (and possibly other problems) and Labs are already frequently susceptible to dysplasia and older age arthritis.   There are now issues about grain-free and cardiac problems 

but

I wouldn’t keep a dog of mine on RC.  I hope whatever exact formula you got for puppy is better than the Labrador formula.  

And so very many sad stories of sick or dead pets on that link I gave you...   so, for me it would be just:  no.   Personally, knowing what I now know , I’d try to Transition off it as fast as possible, even if some RC wasn’t all used up, unless the formula you have for puppy is lots better seeming. 

I do think better food tends to help with better long term health.  

Would you explain that?  Well, we don't even have her yet but I'm going to switch her asap.  She's had RC for 10 weeks and she will be fine b/c overall that's a short amount of time.  I need to buy another food brand and start soon.  

OK, Katie and Bill, you've both brought up good points.   Katie, yes, be careful!  We'll get some rain here in Charlotte from the hurricane.  Bill, earthquakes?  Yikes!

In reality, I just barely bought all the essentials for puppy.  It's 12:30 am and I'm off to bed b/c we'll be with puppy in about 12 hours!  I have not had a puppy in 16 years and that just dawned on me that maybe this was not a good idea.   I'm 16 years older, yada, yada.  Sept will be hard on me as I'll assume most responsibility for this furball.  Dh works outside the home ft and dd is at cc pt.  DD WILL help!  Well, I need time to actually go out and get the food after deciding which one.  Pictures will come in a few days or so! 🙂

Sending prayers your way for an easy puppy.  

Look forward to pics!  Is she named? 

Not sure if this would help you, but for last puppy I moved myself and puppy to sleep in living room which in our house gave quickest access to outside until puppy was past middle of the night need for trips out to potty. 

Katie, I hope all will be well for you and family and all in hurricane path!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, sheryl said:

Would you explain that?  Well, we don't even have her yet but I'm going to switch her asap.  She's had RC for 10 weeks and she will be fine b/c overall that's a short amount of time.  I need to buy another food brand and start soon.  

We have had a few threads on the DCM cardiomyopathy correlation with grain free foods / low taurine issue.   For example:   (Hey that dog looks familiar!) 

And  lots of articles online about it such as:  https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/truth-grain-free-dog-foods-dcm/

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, sheryl said:

Since there are very obvious issues feeding dogs grains (any carbohydrates, really) pet food companies responded by marketing "grain free" foods that mostly replaced carbohydrates from grain with other sources of starch and often added new forms of plant protein including peas and other legumes.

Now there is a concern that some of these other sources are causing heart disease in dogs. Somewhat rare, but hitting some vulnerable breeds in significantly high numbers to cause concern. The issue appear to be linked with interference with taurine synthesis and peas/legumes are the leading culprits with some eyes on potatoes and other ingredients IMS. More questions than hard answers at this point.

The potential problem with alternate carbohydrate sources is causing a backlash that ignores why people were fleeing grain inclusive rations in the first place. Dogs are simply not designed to eat the extreme amounts of carbohydrates in modern kibble diets.

Bill

• Like 2

Bill, in an earlier post you mentioned you don't include your dog's name on a collar.  Why?  Is it to not afford the opportunity to a stranger to call/dogsnatch your pup?  I can see that.  Is there another reason?  See, I don't like having my address on a color for the world to see.  Usually in the past we've chosen dog name and phone number.  HOWEVER, somewhere I heard that people put their phone number with secondary information to their vet clinic name/number.  Do you have your dog microchipped?

7 minutes ago, sheryl said:

Bill, in an earlier post you mentioned you don't include your dog's name on a collar.  Why?  Is it to not afford the opportunity to a stranger to call/dogsnatch your pup?  I can see that.  Is there another reason?  See, I don't like having my address on a color for the world to see.  Usually in the past we've chosen dog name and phone number.  HOWEVER, somewhere I heard that people put their phone number with secondary information to their vet clinic name/number.  Do you have your dog microchipped?

Correct. Adding a name only makes it easier for someone to nab the dog. I use phone numbers (x3) plus my email address. No physical address.

Dog is microchipped.

Bill

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

Correct. Adding a name only makes it easier for someone to nab the dog. I use phone numbers (x3) plus my email address. No physical address.

Dog is microchipped.

Bill

Great. I'm going to order a collar from GDS as you suggested.  The center ring.  Thanks for the info. above - helpful!   Is there a better color than not that you'd recommend?

Off to get ready and pick up puppy.  Will check back in here later today or tomorrow!  

Right now puppy just needs a little puppy size collar, I’d think. 

In our circumstances we have been putting name on collar...  it’s hard to predict what would happen, but at distance at which phone number is easily visible, Dog is likely already with a human hand on the collar.  

As much as someone might steal him, perhaps in some other emergency someone knowing his name could help him get to safety.

• Like 2

And I am of the 'always put your address" on the collar person. Because several times I've been able to just walk a dog home, or have one walked back to my house. But that is colored by the yearly hurricane scares where phone coverage goes out sometimes for days at a time. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, sheryl said:

Great. I'm going to order a collar from GDS as you suggested.  The center ring.  Thanks for the info. above - helpful!   Is there a better color than not that you'd recommend?

Off to get ready and pick up puppy.  Will check back in here later today or tomorrow!  

Follow you bliss on the color...but I'm partial to blaze orange or blaze orange/reflective for gundogs.

Bill

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

And I am of the 'always put your address" on the collar person. Because several times I've been able to just walk a dog home, or have one walked back to my house. But that is colored by the yearly hurricane scares where phone coverage goes out sometimes for days at a time. 

On one collar--a reinforced plastic one--I was able to get two brass plates. One has 3 phone numbers and my email. The other has AKC microchip number.

One could put physical address instead. I'm not opposed to that. In a hurricane zone, I'd be easy to convince.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Pen said:

Right now puppy just needs a little puppy size collar, I’d think. 

In our circumstances we have been putting name on collar...  it’s hard to predict what would happen, but at distance at which phone number is easily visible, Dog is likely already with a human hand on the collar.  

As much as someone might steal him, perhaps in some other emergency someone knowing his name could help him get to safety.

Yea, not sure they make center ring collars for 9 week olds. This is a rec. for maturing dogs.

A simple nylon buckled collar for a pup is fine. He'll grow out of it fast. Just resist quick release. Too risky that it breaks loose.

Bill

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sheryl said:

Have you read old posts on bite inhibition training?

Good luck at pick up!

Bill

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Spy Car said:

Have you read old posts on bite inhibition training?

Good luck at pick up!

Bill

WE HAVE OUR PUPPY HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!    I'll upload pics in a day or so.   She's peed on the carpet twice.  ?  And, that's taking her out about 8 times in a 5 hour window of time.  I picked up water bowl at 7:20 pm.  I think she'll be a good dog.  She seems to already know her name.  Talk soon!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

I haven’t been doing that, but I like that idea for future.  

Reminds me of another useful command: “Go home.”   I think most of our neighborhood dogs understand “go home” and the times that a dog hasn’t, it has been an actual case of either a lost dog or a deliberately abandoned dog.  

Some dogs also have their family last name on their collar which can help if that name is recognized to steer them in correct direction and add pointing to, “Go home.” 

@Ktgrok hope your storm prep and dd are going okay, latest seems it’s going north more toward my SE family ...   but seems like every time I check it’s shifted

@sheryl I Hope puppy is home and settling in well, and you are enjoying wonderful puppy snuggles, and puppy smell, and kisses! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sheryl said:

WE HAVE OUR PUPPY HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!    I'll upload pics in a day or so.   She's peed on the carpet twice.  ?  And, that's taking her out about 8 times in a 5 hour window of time.  I picked up water bowl at 7:20 pm.  I think she'll be a good dog.  She seems to already know her name.  Talk soon!  

20 min tops at this age.

Congrats!

Bill

• Like 4

7 hours ago, sheryl said:

1 hour ago, Spy Car said:

20 min tops at this age.

Congrats!

Bill

I agree with Bill -- you aren't taking her out anywhere near enough, especially since it's her first day! People drop their jaw at the advice, but Bill's absolutely right--every 20 minutes or so is what you should be shooting for.

With the exception of prior to medical procedures I am not a fan or believer of restricting water intake, ever. I've never found it the least bit necessary.

• Like 4

Your dog is microchipped, right? If not, get it microchipped. If so, or after you've done so, make sure your dog is listed in as many free databases as possible. You have to list your dog in a database for the microchip to do any good.

Edited by Tanaqui
Put wrong name like a doofus
  • Like 1

Happy Labor Day!  Shiloh has slept through both nights without soiling her crate!  I got up at 3:30 the first night and last night 4:30.  But, that is staying up later than usual b/c it's LD weekend and taking her out first thing in the morning.  Also though, it's withholding water at 7 pm which I think was someone's advice here.  This thread is so long I'd have to hunt down the pp - but thank you pp (you get the credit).  Our breeder said the same thing.  She has soiled inside and we're still trying to tweak that.  She goes more often outside than accidents inside.  Plus. I don't see pee "every" time.  Is she "marking"?  

Tanaqui, there were 2 sisters available and breeder and I were trying to determine the "best" fit for us.  Matching personalities.  So, we didn't know which one we were getting until we got there Saturday afternoon and we all agreed.  Breeder sent micro chip with us for vet to insert.  She goes in for her next series of vacs this Thursday.   

Pen and anyone, I would appreciate your prayers especially this week for this puppy!  THANKS!  

Bill/Katie, She has a smaller size collar but it's still hearty.  It fits 14" - 20" or something like that.    I'm still undecided about address on tag.  Like Bill, I'd rather not.  I really don't like to disclose personal information to world anymore than is necessary.  She'll be micro chipped so I don't understand the point other than convenience.  However, since y'all are saying that there will be an entire record correlating this puppy to us then when someone would find her, they simply call the vet and vet would contact us on where to pick her up.  NOT PLANNING ON HER GETTING LOST!  Hence the reason for putting the name of the vet on the tag instead of our address.  Right?  Does the micro chip number go on the tag too?

Pictures won't be until sometime in the next few days.  DH and DD went hiking so I'm home alone with Shiloh.  They have the good camera and won't be back until evening.  So pics taken T or W and uploaded here somewhere in the next couple days or so.  🙂 

I think what goes on collar depends on circumstances.  What type of emergency (that might separate dog from you) if any,  is most likely.      Hurricane? Fire? Car accident?   One doesn’t want something like that to happen of course, but think what would help dog most if it did.  

When I see lost or wandering dogs, a prominent collar stitched phone number that I can see at a distance, maybe even photograph  with smartphone these days, is helpful to be able to call and tell human where I saw dog.  

I don’t have a chip reader and I’m likely to have my own dog(s) with me when I see wandering dogs, so something very easy to see at distance and use to contact an owner is biggest help.

A chip  is only helpful if the dog gets somewhere that has a reader that can find and read the chip.    You may be located where that would be easy and likely.  Where we are it would be a 45 or so minute drive for someone to take a dog to place with chip reader.

If your dog will always be in a city/suburb with vets with chip readers located every few blocks that’s a different scenario than if you might take her on trips to places where nearest vet and chip reader might be a long ways away. 

For us personally, statistically a vehicle accident with dog in it is probably more likely than other separation causing “disasters”.  (Though people walking dogs who race off after deer is most common reason I am aware of for temporary lost dogs locally. )  A dog who gets thrown from a vehicle in an accident may be scared and may hide where it gets seen by ... who knows ... maybe two 7 year olds who are playing. 

So I think of what the theoretical 7 year olds might be able to do or remember if they see a collar of what looks like a lost scared dog.  

We have dog name and our home phone number prominent in hope that someone nice would find dog in such a situation, maybe be able to get him (her) to follow the finder(s) to safety and call us and get dog returned to us.  

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1

Agreeing with Pen. Info depends on your circumstances.

For me multiple phone #s and my email are prime. Others may disagree.

I mentioned our main utility collar has two plates. The second one says Microchipped and has the number.  That info is there less for thinking that's how we'd reunite than as a reminder to anyone temped to keep the dog that he is chipped. KWIM?

Bill

• Like 1

Right.   Pen, what I'm saying (and I might be wrong b/c our first 2 labs were NOT microchipped) is that instead of personal address, include (as Bill stated) microchip number and telephone numbers.  The number can be read to the microchip database, can it not?  Also, one of the numbers on the tag would be the vet.  To me it's win/win w/o disclosing address.  One of the plates on Bill's dog has the microchip number.  That has all the info (full disclosure) of family name, address, phone number, vet, etc that the microhip comp would have.  

Bill, I like your approach.

Curious, no!  It would NOT be contacting the vet and THEN microchip.  The puppy will be microchipped this week upon decision of new vet for microchip and next series of vacs due THURS.  The microchip will already be functioning.  Our first lab wandered a time or two.  This was years ago.  I would get in car, windows down and yell her name.  We connected each time!  But, nowadays I don't want to have to rely on that. 

3 minutes ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

Just to clarify.

He is microchipped.  I just would rather not wait for someone to check the microchip when I could get him back faster.

Sure but you need to weigh all factors.  I've never been one to disclose personal info to strangers.   And, I'm glad it was 15 min for you.  But, that might not always be the case. Maybe it would be hours.  In that case, the microchip could indeed win the race.  🙂

7 minutes ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

Sorry, I meant checking for the microchip.  My dog is microchipped.  But I see that as a last choice, either because the dog is separated from his collar or because of something like a hurricane where phones are out.  

Same. And microchip numbers are LONG so you have to read out that whole number while holding on to a squirmy dog that isn't yours and dialing a 1-800 number. 

• Like 1

OK, well, I would take the dog back to my house if on leash/collar and the distance is very close to us.  Otherwise, I'd probably be on a walk and have phone from backup in which case I'd call dh and dd to come help.  If that fails, you do the best you can do.  Does anyone know if it works like an ss number?   Many times they ask for the last 4 digits.

29 minutes ago, sheryl said:

OK, well, I would take the dog back to my house if on leash/collar and the distance is very close to us.  Otherwise, I'd probably be on a walk and have phone from backup in which case I'd call dh and dd to come help.  If that fails, you do the best you can do.  Does anyone know if it works like an ss number?   Many times they ask for the last 4 digits.

You need the whole number, I've called many times. Then they give you the phone number of the owner, from what I remember, and you call the owner. Not sure if they would give the address over the phone to a random person calling in. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sheryl said:

Right.   Pen, what I'm saying (and I might be wrong b/c our first 2 labs were NOT microchipped) is that instead of personal address, include (as Bill stated) microchip number and telephone numbers.  The number can be read to the microchip database, can it not?  Also, one of the numbers on the tag would be the vet.  To me it's win/win w/o disclosing address.  One of the plates on Bill's dog has the microchip number.  That has all the info (full disclosure) of family name, address, phone number, vet, etc that the microhip comp would have.  

I live in rural Oregon.  Frankly I have no idea.

If I ever find a dog with such an ID it will be a first for me. 

Driving along with window down yelling Dogname and telling everyone encountered the description of missing dog is still a major part of finding missing dogs.  Currently for example someone is looking for a dachshund that took off after a deer a few days ago.  Which we know from being flagged down while driving and being told dog description. 

Recently a thing online called Nextdoor  has been used too. A lot.  And some sort of autocall system; I got a robo call once—sort of like a canine amber alert.     As well as the old standby of putting up flyers with pictures.

I think a big clear easy to see phone number of owner (or a contact if family traveling) has been clearly very useful in getting lost dogs home, whether they’re local area dogs or dogs who chased after a deer and got lost while on vacation with family.  

We only recently got cellphone service in our area, and I’ve not encountered an unknown lost dog since we’ve had that in this area.  It doesn’t cover everywhere well.  Some areas in walking / hiking areas are still mobile phone dead zones.  

In past when I’ve called I only once had the dog itself by me where it was a totally unknown dog.  mostly I was remembering a phone number long enough to get home and call from a landline.  

Local numbers all had Only 2 possible  three digit starts, so for local dogs until recently one only had to really concentrate on the last 4 digits.   10 digits very hard unless something to write on could be found.    And I can’t see any possible way I could remember past 10 digits.  So only if lost dog was friendly and followed me home or if I had cellphone with me would that work.  

The dogs who most need help are scared.  They don’t readily follow one home.  And (especially since my Ds was badly bit by a dog a few years back) I’d not try to take an unknown scared dog by the collar. 

For example, a few years ago I found a dog who had gotten lost at another side of a forest area about 20 miles away, and apparently walked out our side 3 days later. He was very scared.  But he had easy to read phone number and I was able to call owner (who were looking and posting signs in wrong area) to come get him. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Pen said:

I’ve never lost nor found a dog during a Power and phone outage , but seems like in that event an address would help too. 

Yea, I think that is particular to hurricane areas. We tend to have fences go down during the storm, and sometimes people don't realize that until they let the dog out to potty and it escapes. Also, lots of dogs are afraid of storms and more likely to dig/burrow out and we almost always lose phone service during and for a day after a hurricane. In other areas a phone number is probably fine, if someone will answer right away. 

• Like 1

I'm actually about to write my phone number and address on my newest dog's belly, in permanent marker, as she tends to bolt still and hates storms. She does NOT reliably come when called yet, (turns out she was very used to being chased and LOVES that game...she's very sad I don't chase her) so if she gets out it will be a big issue, and collars can come off. 

• Like 3

Pen and Katie,

Wow, Pen, OR is just now going to 10 digit?  Some people from our church moved back to OR 2 years ago.  Really liked them!  We haven't kept in touch but they are lovely people!  ND is big here. It seems everyone posts a lost dog or cat EVERY.DAY!   Honestly, pet after pet after pet!!!  We for sure will put our phone numbers (incl vet) and email as Bill does.  But, I'm debating address.  Need to be convinced this is necessary.

Katie, I'm assuming you are Gulf side?  If not, hope you're making plans to escape.  Where is your closest family outside of FL?  Yes, marker on belly.  It seems I've heard that before.  

Would someone explain to me why my idea wouldn't work?  I don't understand why it wouldn't.  Is the microchip company/database 24/7?   Pen, you're saying you don't know the behavior of the dog and if  you go for tag, it could bite you?   Well, that's a good point.  Now I understand someone/you are talking about stitched font size on collar.  All things to consider.  We did have our address (I think) on tags for our first 2. 

47 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

I'm actually about to write my phone number and address on my newest dog's belly, in permanent marker, as she tends to bolt still and hates storms. She does NOT reliably come when called yet, (turns out she was very used to being chased and LOVES that game...she's very sad I don't chase her) so if she gets out it will be a big issue, and collars can come off. 

How about also  on that floppy ear where might be visible without getting her upside down? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sheryl said:

Pen and Katie,

Wow, Pen, OR is just now going to 10 digit? 

No. I mean all the phones in our area were like though not actually 541-874-xxxx.    Only the last 4 digits differed.   And also for a long time you could get a good idea of nearby location from number and would just need to think , oh this is a Boring (close by place name) dog.  And know that would be 541-663-xxxx

9 minutes ago, sheryl said:

Some people from our church moved back to OR 2 years ago.  Really liked them!  We haven't kept in touch but they are lovely people!  ND is big here. It seems everyone posts a lost dog or cat EVERY.DAY!   Honestly, pet after pet after pet!!!  We for sure will put our phone numbers (incl vet) and email as Bill does.  But, I'm debating address.  Need to be convinced this is necessary.

Katie, I'm assuming you are Gulf side?  If not, hope you're making plans to escape.  Where is your closest family outside of FL?  Yes, marker on belly.  It seems I've heard that before.  

Would someone explain to me why my idea wouldn't work?  I don't understand why it wouldn't.  Is the microchip company/database 24/7?   Pen, you're saying you don't know the behavior of the dog and if  you go for tag, it could bite you?   Well, that's a good point.  Now I understand someone/you are talking about stitched font size on collar.  All things to consider.  We did have our address (I think) on tags for our first 2. 

No idea what an unknown dog would do.  Maybe an obvious Lab would be less likely to give me pause than some breeds.  But a traumatized dog might be more likely to bite.  

Further in some situations I have been in, I have my hands full with my own dogs, perhaps with a young child as well.  Catching a wandering dog isn’t top priority.  But if there an easy phone number to see at distance I’ll do what I can.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, sheryl said:

Would someone explain to me why my idea wouldn't work?  I don't understand why it wouldn't.  

I'm inland, near Orlando. so I'm fine. My parents are the ones on the coast, on Merritt Island (near cape Canaveral). 

The only issue is that instead of me finding a dog and seeing, "Oh, this dog belongs three houses down, I'll ring their bell and give them their dog" I'm now standing on the sidewalk/street calling a 1-800 number and then taking to a customer service rep and reading off a long number from a microchip tag and then once they look it up I have to figure out a way to write down the information they are relaying to me, which may or may not include address (not sure on that). It's just making it harder for someone to get the dog back to you. The more hassle it is the less likely someone is to bother. 

26 minutes ago, Pen said:

How about also  on that floppy ear where might be visible without getting her upside down? 

She actually rolls over and shows her belly to everyone - she's a belly rub whore, lol. So it would be VERY visible, lol. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

I'm inland, near Orlando. so I'm fine. My parents are the ones on the coast, on Merritt Island (near cape Canaveral). 

The only issue is that instead of me finding a dog and seeing, "Oh, this dog belongs three houses down, I'll ring their bell and give them their dog" I'm now standing on the sidewalk/street calling a 1-800 number and then taking to a customer service rep and reading off a long number from a microchip tag and then once they look it up I have to figure out a way to write down the information they are relaying to me, which may or may not include address (not sure on that). It's just making it harder for someone to get the dog back to you. The more hassle it is the less likely someone is to bother. 

Yeah.  This!   Make it easy for a well meaning finder in case Dog is found.  

What easy would be might differ, but I kind of doubt call to microchip place is going to be easy.   Or even to seem as easy for someone trying to figure it out—which could be a little kid.  

Still, OP, you have the chip, why not pretend you have found the dog and are making the call....  see how it goes... . What info does the microchip place give you , do they readily answer?  Labor Day evening seems like a great time to test it out.  

36 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

She actually rolls over and shows her belly to everyone - she's a belly rub whore, lol. So it would be VERY visible, lol. 

LOL!  This is Sandy or was it a different name? 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Pen said:

Yeah.  This!   Make it easy for a well meaning finder in case Dog is found.  

What easy would be might differ, but I kind of doubt call to microchip place is going to be easy.   Or even to seem as easy for someone trying to figure it out—which could be a little kid.  

Still, OP, you have the chip, why not pretend you have found the dog and are making the call....  see how it goes... . What info does the microchip place give you , do they readily answer?  Labor Day evening seems like a great time to test it out.  

LOL!  This is Sandy or was it a different name? 

Yup, Sandy! Officially - Sandy Strudel the Superdoodle 🙂

• Like 2

I just see what the "point" of having a microchip is (unless it's backup) if it's not accessed by others for the intended (?) use of dog identification (which goes beyond name to owner's name etc to be returned home).  I asked on ND and they said pet name + 2 numbers.  

Pen, we have the physical product for the microchip to be inserted.  The groomer gave it to us to have the vet do that.  We take Shiloh in on Thursday for her next series of vacs and will microchip her then.  

Katie,  you're still close to the beach!  Orlando is inland but still you're only an hour away.  I have a cousin and his family who live in Bradenton.   If it stays on the same path you and he may be protected out of the high wind zone.   In Charlotte, we're 4 hours inland and will not see hurricane force winds but the backlash would result in diminished winds that are still powerful enough to destroy.  Such was the case with H Hugo in Sept 1989.  We were spared as we were living in MI at the time and relocated to Charlotte July 1991.