Menu

Life and the 1st week of school...

Heathermomster

It seems like since we started homeschooling, something highly distracting always happens that must be dealt with.  Usually the distraction is end of summer sickness or house repair.

Yesterday afternoon, the family and I were sitting still at a red light when the driver of a huge Lincoln town car drifted into our lane while taking a left turn.  The driver swiped the left side of our car and never stopped.  We were on the receiving end of a hit and run.  We called the police, filed the report, and now have to get the left side of my SUV repainted.  Ordinarily, it’s green but now it’s green with scratches and a nice dob of white paint running down the side.  We start school tomorrow.

We were stunned and relieved. The crunchy noises were interesting.  I’m just glad my family wasn’t injured.  My DD was able to open her door to get out and her side curtain air bag didn’t deploy.  The police officer who took the report reckons an elderly woman struck us.

I don't think I've ever had a school year (starting my 14th yr soon) that didn't have at least one - if not more - distractions that took time away from schooling. Pregnancy, babies, major illness (one of ours or extended family member), necessary travel for wedding, death, college visits, etc. The only things that we haven't had are job changes & moving.

I just plan some extra padding into every year so my weeks of school are greater than the weeks I need to cover non-math subjects. (Math is never-ending in our house.) I'm relieved to have the flexibility of honeschooling.

Glad everyone is ok on your end & I hope getting your vehicle fixed isn't a big deal. (I was on the receiving end of one of those incidents right out of college. A huge industrial truck backed up over the hood of my car at a stop light and then drove away. I'm not sure I've ever quite gotten over the feeling of panic. It certainly still impacts my actions at red lights.) Don't discount the emotional impact of being on the receiving end of a hit & run.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RootAnn said:

I don't think I've ever had a school year (starting my 14th yr soon) that didn't have at least one - if not more - distractions that took time away from schooling. Pregnancy, babies, major illness (one of ours or extended family member), necessary travel for wedding, death, college visits, etc. The only things that we haven't had are job changes & moving.

I just plan some extra padding into every year so my weeks of school are greater than the weeks I need to cover non-math subjects. (Math is never-ending in our house.) I'm relieved to have the flexibility of honeschooling.

Glad everyone is ok on your end & I hope getting your vehicle fixed isn't a big deal. (I was on the receiving end of one of those incidents right out of college. A huge industrial truck backed up over the hood of my car at a stop light and then drove away. I'm not sure I've ever quite gotten over the feeling of panic. It certainly still impacts my actions at red lights.) Don't discount the emotional impact of being on the receiving end of a hit & run.

I think you are right.  We tried not to get upset yesterday because it was an accident and no one was physically injured.  This morning, I'm irritated that someone would just drive off.  It takes 48 hours for the police to file the report.  My rear bumper and all the body panels up to and including the rear passenger door where my DD sits, will need to be replaced and/or repainted.   

• Sad 1

Yes! We usually start school by now, but I'm in the middle of painting the living room (something I started and put off all summer). Plus, oldest DD has had a ton of doctor appointment this summer - hopefully those will taper off after this week and we can return to normalish. 

OP - glad your family wasn't harmed! How scary. 

• Like 2