Menu

Starting homeschooling in 7th grade, preliminary testing needed?

I decided to start homeschooling my 12 yo son this coming Fall. The last grade he attended in public school was 6th grade last year.

I am reading Well Trained Mind and learning a lot about what I should teach and how (LOVING the book!), however one doubt I have is whether my son will be ready to study at the 7th grade level described in the book.

I have no idea what he has been taught in school last year (and previous years for that matter) (part of the reason why I am excited about HS is that from this point on I will be in charge) and as a consequence I am not sure if he will be ready to start with the program described in the book for 7th grade. Note: it's entirely possible he will be fine, I just don't know and have no specific reason to believe he is behind. He was doing well in school.

What do you suggest to do? Should I try to test him before starting or just start and adjust in case I see he has some problems? And in case some preliminary testing is needed, how should I go about it? I have no idea how to test a kid of this age on all the subjects/skills that are necessary.

Thanks!

Welcome!!

Very quickly (have to get us going this AM):

A few thoughts:

1. I'd strongly suggest purchasing and listening to Susan Wise Bauer's audio workshop/lectures, which you can purchase at Peace Hill Press.  I try to listen to these each summer, and many folks report that it is much much easier to implement WTM after having SWB walk one through the details.  At the least:
    1. A Plan for Teaching Writing: Focus on the Middle Grades
    2. Great Books: History as Literature
    3. and somewhat optional -- Science in the Classical Curriculum -- not, to me, as essential or as on-target as the above two
    4. here is the page with all the audio workshops: you can see if any other seem especially applicable. 
  2. If you wish to test, and you or your partner have a bachelor's degree, you can administer standardized tests such as the IOWA (used by many private schools) through vendors like BJU Homeschool.  Other members will probably be more help on specific tests. 
  3. I'd strongly suggest planning to start your homeschool year one subject at a time, and add more as you go.  For example: decide on a math program to work with based on what the child was doing before and, perhaps, help from this forum.  Realize that middle-school-math often requires adjusting as you go along.  Begin the math program and then supplement (with, for example, review of basic skills or perhaps extension work) if needed/desired.  Give it a week or two and then add in the Language Arts stuff you've decided to use.  Another week or two and start history.  Same for science, and logic.  Then you can incorporate art & music.  Or start with art & music and then add in other stuff, it doesn't really matter, but you will be learning how to work with your child productively and happily.  Well, mostly productively and happily. 

Congratulations on deciding to homeschool!  The time you spend it on it will be worthwhile, for certain, and pay off.

• Like 2

Thanks so much for your responses!

I will definitely look into the audio workshops. I also like the idea of going slow at the beginning and ramp it up as we get more accustomed to it.

The WTM does look intimidating and I'll do my best to go slow at the beginning.

I like the idea of starting with Math and just run the tests we are going to find in the book.

I did not decide on any material yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

... I honestly wouldn't do a standardized test as this point, unless it's something your state requires or you think he's really behind and want a baseline. But it won't really help you with much as far as subject grade placement. What you need to know is where he is on each subject as far as your chosen publisher is concerned, and that's going to vary for each one because scope and sequences differ, sometimes greatly so, between publishers. 

I would start with math. Do you know what program you will be using? The individual publisher's placement tests per subject will be more meaningful for getting underway. Don't feel tied to having him be "on level" to where you force a "7th" grade course. Go with where the publisher's placement test put you for each subject. ...

This is very wise! I was just coming back to mention explicitly that you don't need to do testing before you start.  AEthelthryth is so correct that in terms of teaching the child, materials from the publishers will be much more helpful. 

1 hour ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Honestly, coming from public school, I would not try to shoe horn in WTM philosophy as a first year homeschooler, especially at this age. The methodology is most likely shockingly different as are the expectations laid forth in WTM compared to his experience in public school. Instead I'd look at : What is he interested in? What engages him? I would start bare minimum and build because there's going to most likely be some trial and error. Find a math. Find an LA. Go to the library. Explore science topics and history topics. Read good books. Do some read alouds. Then as you find your groove, honestly that's when I would start trying to introduce some of the methods of WTM (if after getting started you still decide to do so). It will avoid the *shock* factor that would be there if you suddenly plunged whole heartedly into WTM type structure. People pick and choose from it, but I don't know that anyone here is whole hog. 

This beginning plan is a great one.  Just doing lots of reading will be incredibly beneficial. 

I would add that, while dumping the child into WTM whole-hog at the the 7th grade level would be ill-advised, I've always found it useful to keep the end goals in mind; to figure out about where we are relative to those; and to move forward. 

The high school plan for WTM is very compelling (and can be done at an intensity appropriate to the child -- you may want or need to make adjustments beyond those in the book, but the general philosophy is usable if it appeals to you and lines up with your values/goals).  The challenge at hand is to figure out where your child is right now and then help him progress forward.  The goal isn't so much to reach a particular level as it is to enrich the child as he learns and to expand his capacities. 

The most distinctive elements about the WTM methodology seem, to me, to be encapsulated in the language arts, the history, and the logic (for the science, people do many things and I find the thing one wants to include for a "classical" education before high school is simply high quality books --  nonfiction and biographies at the child's level, which are usually not hard to add to any program that doesn't have them already).   If you read the WTM book up through high school sections, and then review the book periodically over the next year, and you listen to the audio resources for writing (especially!), literature and history, you can begin to teach your child the methods beginning wherever he is and moving forward at his pace. 

(don't freak out!  I have no idea how my child is going to handle the Iliad in 9th, for example.  I think he could read it but will try to skim.  Sigh.)

I find the audio lectures are absolutely the best resource for placing a child at the appropriate level and designing a plan to move the child forward.  Can't recommend them highly enough.  Glad to see you'll look at them! 

Also: the "Starting in the Middle" chapter of the book (not sure if that's the actual title) is super. 

And: there isn't any need to fret about not being "at high school level" two years from now, if you are engaging the process and moving forward.  Folks here can & will help you keep your child growing & challenged without being overwhelmed and in a grade-appropriate way.  You should expect to make many adjustments as you go and know that it will often feel much messier than the book makes it seem.  

However, after several years of engaging, adjusting, dealing with real life (death in the family, chronic illness in a child), engaging & adjusting again, I can see the fruits of this classical education.  My children absolutely don't "enjoy" school -- they'd rather being playing outside, building with Legos, doing Pokemon or reading their own favorite books -- but they do enjoy learning new things; they are interested in so much; they are kind and broad-minded (usually!); they have learned to think well; and they are great people to just be with.  From what I've seen this is a common outcome of working toward a WTM-ish education.  Thank goodness!!!!!

Edited by serendipitous journey
  • Like 1

We started when oldest was in 8th grade and I looked at the end goal (roughly what do I want his high school transcript to look like) and then tried to figure out what we needed to focus on in 8th grade to prepare him for that high school work. For him he needed specifically to learn how to write a formal essay before high school and some more thorough grammar instruction, but what he needed most was T.I.M.E. to develop his own interests. Coming from public school he had most of his "free time" chosen for him doing homework and extracurriculars. When we started hs'ing he had more time to figure out what he was passionate about and what type of subjects motivated him. That helped us craft a high school experience that suited him as an individual. For him it was science and math and computers - definitely not reading obscure Greek plays and learning Latin and many of the other humanities focused ideas from the WTM 😂

I'd echo what others have said - start with math and do the placement tests for that curriculum and then get your son's input on what other subjects interest him to read about and learn. By the end of 7th grade with a year of hs'ing under your belt you'll have a pretty good idea of where his skill level is with regards to writing and grammar and vocabulary and whatnot and you'll probably feel more confident about assessing what else he needs to get him ready for where you want him to be in high school.

I should say: I'm very glad WTM exists as a framework and am sooooooo thankful for the inspiration and confidence it has given me to homeschool rigorously! I love that book! But I do not follow it 😉

• Like 2

Welcome to homeschooling and to the Hive! NYC is amazing. What an interesting place to home educate! Agreeing with the pp, just ease in and don't try to implement WTM as written. Use it for ideas and inspiration and framework. Definitely do listen to SWB's talks!!

Start with the three R's. Get math, writing and literature into place, one at a time.

Then let your student enjoy being a homeschooler! Help him to follow his interests and let history, science, art, music, languages etc. be creative, not textbook driven, and fun. Make sure he has exercise and social activities woven into his days. 

Just know that it will be a year of discovery, wrong turns, adjusting, and exploring. It's fine. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 2

I have been on this board for some time as I was trying to "afterschool my kids.  I am finally going to start homeschooling my kids who will be in 5th and 7th grade. I think public schools usually do at least an adequate job of teaching math, science, and reading. I really don't think most public schools teach writing, vocabulary, grammar, or history well. 

So coming out of public school, picking a math curriculum shouldn't be too hard. What math curriculum was your son doing (ex. My math, envision, engage NY)? What math path/track was he on? And if he is going back to public high school will they allow him to accelate without a fight? My son was in the honors track but in our school district no one is allowed to take algebra before 9th grade. Instead students take accelerated 8th grade math then in 9th grade Integrated Math I Honors (a combination of alg. 1 and geometry). So I could have had my son take Alg. 1 this fall but might slow down things so he can spend more time on grammar, writing, vocabulary, Spanish, and history. 

I would quickly pick a math curriculum, then start learning about grammar and writing options.

18 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

Welcome to homeschooling and to the Hive! NYC is amazing. What an interesting place to home educate! Agreeing with the pp, just ease in and don't try to implement WTM as written. Use it for ideas and inspiration and framework. Definitely do listen to SWB's talks!!

Thanks for the encouragement! Yes, homeschooling in NYC should be fun. This also excites me. I already found a few co-ops and interesting programs. We are also lucky enough to live in a lively neighborhood with lots of kids and friends. This makes me a bit less anxious about socialization.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nart said:

I have been on this board for some time as I was trying to "afterschool my kids.  I am finally going to start homeschooling my kids who will be in 5th and 7th grade. I think public schools usually do at least an adequate job of teaching math, science, and reading. I really don't think most public schools teach writing, vocabulary, grammar, or history well. 

This is my same impression. Writing is an essential skill which requires a lot of practice. I think the school environment just does provide the right framework for students to practice and focus enough.

I am not too worried about whether schools will accept my son once we switch to HS. I suspect we will move to HS for good. I also have two more kids which are still in school. I am planning to progressively move all of them out as they become more independent.

Welcome, Enrico!

We started homeschooling when my daughter was entering seventh grade. I too had read the WTM; I'd describe our homeschooling as WTM inspired and eclectic. Since I didn't know how long we'd homeschool (we offered our daughter the choice each year), we ended up doing a three year chronological sweep through world history. We were also on a very tight budget so used primarily library materials. If you have any interest in seeing what we did for history, let me know.

Incidentally, my daughter chose to homeschool throughout highschool.

Regards,

Kareni

13 minutes ago, Kareni said:

Welcome, Enrico!

We started homeschooling when my daughter was entering seventh grade. I too had read the WTM; I'd describe our homeschooling as WTM inspired and eclectic. Since I didn't know how long we'd homeschool (we offered our daughter the choice each year), we ended up doing a three year chronological sweep through world history. We were also on a very tight budget so used primarily library materials. If you have any interest in seeing what we did for history, let me know.

Incidentally, my daughter chose to homeschool throughout highschool.

Regards,

Kareni

Thanks so much Kareni, it's very useful to hear what others have done in similar situations.

I'd love learn more about your approach to history and also learn more about how to get advantage of library material.

In NYC we have quite a few really good libraries. One is actually very close to our apartment.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Enrico said:

Thanks so much Kareni, it's very useful to hear what others have done in similar situations.

You'll find many generous people here who are happy to share what has worked for them.

In NYC we have quite a few really good libraries. One is actually very close to our apartment.

You are very fortunate!

I'd love learn more about your approach to history and also learn more about how to get advantage of library material.

Okay, here goes.

Here is what I handed to my daughter in 7th grade.  I will list the resources we used in the next post.

"History and Reading

The plan:

To study history chronologically from prehistory to about AD500.

The means:

We'll use Hillyer and Huey's two books Young People's Story of the Ancient World as well as numerous other books and resources.

Typically each week there will be a list of required reading.  There will generally be a novel to be read pertaining to the time period.  There may also be some myths and legends to be read.  There will also be non-fiction books or selections to be read and perhaps a website to visit or a video to view.

You will need to locate any places mentioned on the map, in a historical atlas and on the globe (if we obtain one).  Each week you will make two pages for your Book of the Centuries.  These pages should be work you can be proud of!  They should be well planned, edited and neat.  They can be in your best cursive or done on the computer.  All art work should be done with care.  The pages should pertain to the time period being studied.  Each page should be titled.  Pages might cover such topics as:

A people

A great man or woman (a ruler, artist, explorer, scientist)

An artifact (tools, buildings, type of writing)

A religion

An event

A discovery or invention

A war or battle

The daily life of a people

A map (route of an explorer, location of a people) 

An imaginary encounter between two historical personae

???

You might find information on these topics at home or you may need to do additional research at the library or online. 

Maps should include a legend (which may be printed) in addition to the title.

In addition to your two pages, you should also note five to ten important dates in your Book of the Centuries."

Regards,

Kareni

My daughter used the following materials in 7th grade which covered the time period up to 500AD. Yes, she did read all of these books; however, she was and is a voracious reader.  We are also quite liberal, so some of these materials might not work for others..

My husband watched all the videos with my daughter (some such as I, Claudius contain adult material). It was a great way for him to also be involved, and it built great memories for them both.

Selections from The Kingfisher Illustrated History of the World by Charlotte Evans et al.

The Young People's Story of Our Heritage: The Ancient World, Pre-history to 500BC by V. M. Hillyer and E. G. Huey

The Young People's Story of Our Heritage: The Ancient World, 500BC to 500AD by V. M. Hillyer and E. G. Huey

A Bone from a Dry Sea by Peter Dickinson

Cave of the Moving Shadows by Thomas Milstead

Spirit on the Wall by Ann O'Neal Garcia

Mara, Daughter of the Nile by Eloise Jarvis McGraw

Pharaoh's Daughter by Julius Lester

Video:  David Macaulay's World of Ancient Engineering:   Pyramid

Black Ships before Troy by Rosemary Sutcliff

Dateline: Troy by Paul Fleischman

Inside the Walls of Troy by Clemence McClaren 

The Curse of King Tut by Patricia Netzley

The Golden Fleece by Padraic Colum

Escape from Egypt by Sonia Levitin

Troy by Adele Geras   

The Wanderings of Odysseus by Rosemary Sutcliff

The Cat of Bubastes by G. A. Henty

City of Gold and Other Stories from the Old Testament by Peter Dickinson

Gods and Goddesses by John Malam

The Riddle of the Rosetta Stone by James Cross Giblin

Selections from  Cultural Atlas for Young People:  Ancient Greece by Anton Powell

Selections from Then and Now by Stefania and Dominic Perring

Selections from Usborne Book of Famous Lives

Selections from  Heroines by Rebecca Hazell

Selections from A Picturesque Tale of Progress, Volume 2 by Olive Beaupre Miller

The Story of the World, History for the Classical Child: Ancient Times by Susan W. Bauer

Niko: Sculptor's Apprentice by Isabelle Lawrence

How Would You Survive as an Ancient Greek? by Fiona Macdonald

Calliope Magazine: Taharqo

Calliope Magazine: Ancient Celts

Alexander the Great by Peter Chrisp

Video: Alexander the Great (The History Makers)

Men of Athens by Olivia Coolidge

Selections from Mathematicians are People, Too by Luetta and Wilbert Reimer

Science in Ancient Greece by Kathlyn Gay

Selections from A Day in Old Athens by William S. Davis

Your Travel Guide to Ancient Greece by Nancy Day

The Librarian who Measured the Earth by Kathryn Lasky

The Emperor's Silent Army by Jane O'Connor

Selections from Ancient Japan by J. E. Kidder

Hannibal's Elephants by Alfred Powers

The Story of the Romans by H. A. Guerber

Galen: My Life in Imperial Rome by Marissa Moss

Caesar's Gallic War by Olivia Coolidge

Selections from Ancient Inventions by Peter James and Nick Thorpe

Video:  Anthony and Cleopatra (Royal Shakespeare Company, 1974)

Videos:  I, Claudius (Volumes 1-7)

Augustus Caesar's World by Genevieve Foster

City by David Macaulay

The Wadjet Eye by Jill Rubalcaba

Video:  David Macaulay's World of Ancient Engineering:   Roman City

Song for a Dark Queen by Rosemary Sutcliff

Detectives in Togas by Henry Winterfield

Video:  Ancient Mysteries:  Pompeii, Buried Alive

The Capricorn Bracelet by Rosemary Sutcliff

The Eagle of the Ninth by Rosemary Sutcliff

Selections from Wonders of Ancient Chinese Science by Robert Silverberg

The White Stag by Kate Seredy

Saint George and the Dragon by Margaret Hodges

Selections from The Dark Ages by Tony Gregory

Lady Ch'iao Kuo:  Warrior of the South by Laurence Yep

The Dancing Bear by Peter Dickinson

Video:  Africa (Ancient Civilizations for Children)

The Cartoon History of the Universe II, From the Springtime of China to the Fall of Rome by Larry Gonick

Regards,

Kareni