Menu

Help in planning PE credit

I am looking for a video series that my girls (grade 9 &12) can use to complete a PE credit this year.  We will get a Y membership and they will likely take a Yoga class 2x/week.  But, although we live super close, I know we can not do much more than that there.  Well, MAYBE an open gym time once a week.  We also have harsh winters.  If I don't have something structured at home, they won't meet the 50 min/day requirement.

I plan on using the 7 minute Workouthttps://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/09/the-scientific-7-minute-workout/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0  But that only takes 7 minutes. LOL  I plan on doing Total Health with dd(gr9) in 10th, just like dd(gr12).  So, I want all physical activity.(I think...unless learning sport rules and such can be counted?)

I am looking for a video(series, maybe?)  I looked on Youtube and I found one geared to teen girls, but as I watched, I noticed she talks a LOT about weight and shape.(ugh) We try to focus on positive body image.  I don't even own a scale.  We are all average size/thin.  But, I am so sensitive to that message!

Any suggestions?

And I know I can count everday things like housecleaning, pulling weeds, etc.  But, I probably would forget to do that after a few weeks.  

Thanks!

Edited by rjand6more

What I do is give a half credit for the year. Do you think you'd meet the hourlyrequirements if you used the whole year's class hours, but listed it as a one semester class. 

Not that extra stuff isn't good too. But that way my kids get credit for time spent, but I don't sweat trying to make sure it's a full year's worth. 

• Like 1

My upcoming 9th grader likes an old bellydancing video I have:  https://www.amazon.com/Bellydance-Fitness-Beginners-Arms-Thighs/dp/B00005N8AL/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=belly+dancing+fitness&qid=1564003058&s=gateway&sr=8-3  Personally, I like to check videos out of the library for workouts; that way I don't get bored since I can only have them for 2 weeks.

Some ideas that aren't a video:

Do you have a Wii? My girls like the Wii games of Just Dance, Wii Sports Resort, Wii Fit, and Zumba.

Hand weight routine from a book? I have the book Strong Women Stay Young, but there are several books aimed at women. 

5 minutes ago, 2_girls_mommy said:

What I do is give a half credit for the year. Do you think you'd meet the hourlyrequirements if you used the whole year's class hours, but listed it as a one semester class. 

Not that extra stuff isn't good too. But that way my kids get credit for time spent, but I don't sweat trying to make sure it's a full year's worth. 

Our state norm is a full credit for PE( 1 year).  And when my DS23 went to college, the ONLY thing they questioned on my fully HS transcript was PE.

Since DD17 is graduating this year(she wanted to wait fulfill her credit with her sister) we have to get it done.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, beckyjo said:

My upcoming 9th grader likes an old bellydancing video I have:  https://www.amazon.com/Bellydance-Fitness-Beginners-Arms-Thighs/dp/B00005N8AL/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=belly+dancing+fitness&qid=1564003058&s=gateway&sr=8-3  Personally, I like to check videos out of the library for workouts; that way I don't get bored since I can only have them for 2 weeks.

Some ideas that aren't a video:

Do you have a Wii? My girls like the Wii games of Just Dance, Wii Sports Resort, Wii Fit, and Zumba.

Hand weight routine from a book? I have the book Strong Women Stay Young, but there are several books aimed at women. 

Bellydancing.  That's unique! I was hoping for something we could stream, but I hadn't thought about the library.  Thanks!

We don't have a Wii.  I like the weight routine idea.  

2 hours ago, MerryAtHope said:

Make sure to count any extra time spent in the summer--swimming, boating, hiking, summer sports etc... towards your PE credit. That can help to make up for the winter when it's harder to get out. Count shoveling in the winter. Walking all year long. 

I am just not good at that!  Unless it is scheduled time I don't even THINK to record it.

• Like 1

A couple of my dc have enjoyed P90X3 videos.  The 3 at the end is important - they are 30 minute videos.  P90X has hour-long workouts for most of the videos, but you get the same benefits with P90X3 in less time (at least according to my dc).  There's also P90, which is a lot less intense - I tried it, and it was a lot more my speed, although my old knees still complained.

These are a bit pricey, but you might be able to find them in the library or cheap on eBay.

9 hours ago, klmama said:

A couple of my dc have enjoyed P90X3 videos.  The 3 at the end is important - they are 30 minute videos.  P90X has hour-long workouts for most of the videos, but you get the same benefits with P90X3 in less time (at least according to my dc).  There's also P90, which is a lot less intense - I tried it, and it was a lot more my speed, although my old knees still complained.

These are a bit pricey, but you might be able to find them in the library or cheap on eBay.

Thank you!  I will check them out!

19 hours ago, rjand6more said:

I am just not good at that!  Unless it is scheduled time I don't even THINK to record it.

Nothing says you have to record it at the time they do it. Sit down once a week or even once a month and jot down a list of activities that you do remember and approximate times. Could save you a lot of hours later on. 

Or, they're in high school--have them keep a log of their hours.