Menu

Latin Suggestions?

Good morning!

My daughter will be a senior next year and would like to finish up with a year of latin.  She has had an introduction and has done three years of French.  She is fairly adept at languages, and loves all things classical.  One of the reasons she wants to do some more latin is because she is narrowing down her goals and is pretty sure classical studies will be a minor or major for her.  An introductory program would probably be best, but not something like Getting Started with Latin.  She has done that and is capable of quite a bit more.  Is there anything like a college intro level program?  Maybe a Memoria Press program? I haven't looked at Latin is a long time, so I'm in the dark about what's out there.  She has also done a year of Greek, which she loved.

A program or books studied at home are much preferred over online resources (unless its something like a Teaching Textbooks style program).  She does not want to take the class outside of home as she works a lot and it would be hard to schedule.  

All help gratefully appreciated, and thank you so much!  I can't believe this is my last legit year to read these boards. I've been here since 2003, and could not have done this without SWB and  everyone else!

Thanks again,

Penny

If she wants a grammar program, I'd suggest Wheelocks as there are a lot of free resources out there.

If she wants more of an immersion approach, there are other options but I am not as familiar with them. Most of the time, you know which one you learn better with.

• Like 5

Quick Question...

Does she need the workbook?  If so does it have the answers included in it?  I read upthread that I can email the publisher for the answer key - is that for the book or the workbook?

I appreciate your suggestion for this program, and the online resource (which I am wondering if maybe that takes the place of the workbook?  If so, does *that* have answers?) - it looks just right!

Thanks again - 

Penny

Edited by Peso
More questions!

We didn’t.  Answers to exercises are in the back of the book.  Dd just wrote in a notebook.

I can’t remember how the online worked but it graded or gave Dd the answers.

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 1

FYI, if you did decide to go with the workbook, you can email them and they will send you a link to download the answers.

If she has trouble, I bought the Udemy course on Wheelocks (there are actually three courses that cover the whole book). For $9.99/course, it was very reasonable (about $30 for the whole book) and he goes over some of the answers to the exercises, etc.  The instructor's name is Ben Lugosch.  If the Udemy course is more than this right now, wait, because they often have sales and the price will go down, I promise.  😃

• Like 3

Oh that's good to know - still pondering the workbook.  I'll probably decide after we see the book.  I like the idea of the Udemy course, so I really appreciate your idea.  And the advice about the price!

Cheers,  Penny

• Like 1