lgliser

I'd love to hear if you all think this is good enough:

Math: Saxon 8/7 

Spelling: finish the last half of All About Spelling 7

Grammar: last half of Grammar For the Well Trained Mind

Writing: Writing and Rhetoric books 7 and 8

History: Veritas Press Self Paced History 1815 to Present

Spanish: Last half of Getting Started with Spanish

Science: Finish Science in the Ancient World... then what?

So those are the for sure things. Then I'm thinking about:

Reading Detective

Fallacy Detective, then Thinking Toolbox

God's Crime Scene for Kids or any of those... but they're for ages 8-12 and mine are going on 13 so maybe that would be a little young for them?

Anyway, do I have a strong line-up? What could I add or what do you think about my optionals? One thing I'm sad to say I've been weak in is reading and discussing a lot of literature. 

LA
   Literature = Reading Detective (learn about lit. elements) + ____________ (lit. for reading/discussing)???
   Writing = Writing and Rhetoric books 7 and 8
   Grammar = Grammar For the Well Trained Mind
   Spelling = All About Spelling 7
   Vocabulary (optional) ____________ ??
Math = Saxon 8/7 
Science = Science in the Ancient World + ____________??
Social Studies: History = Veritas Press Self Paced History 1815 to Present
For. Lang.: Spanish = Getting Started with Spanish
Fine Arts (optional) ____________?
Logic = Fallacy Detective, Thinking Toolbox
PE 
(optional) ____________?
Elective(s) 
(optional) ____________?

The only things I would suggest are:
- Literature -- either a lit. program (e.g., Lightning Lit 7, Mosdos, Memoria Press, or...?), or a line up of good books, with possibly a few lit. guides to go with a few of them

- Typing -- if your student is not already proficient at touch typing, this is a great time to nail that down

Possible Science ideas: Exploration Education, Mr. Q Science, Nancy Larson Science 5, Noeo Science level 3, ACS Adventures in Chemistry, Rainbow Science year 1

Totally optional, but you might look at some way to include PE and develop a good life habit of some regular physical exercise -- waling/running/biking/skating; take lessons in martial arts, dance etc, ; join a swim team or sports team; or... ??

Also totally optional, but you might look in to involvement in some sort of Fine Arts -- theater, dance, art (drawing or painting) ,musical instrument, choir, pottery, woodworking, jewelry making, print making, filmmaking, photography.... etc.

And the middle school years are a great time for pursuing a passion/personal interest or developing an interest in an activity through scheduling regular time for exploration -- Coding, Cake Decorating, Baking, Sewing, Electronic Kits/Soldering, Robotics,  etc.

Looking good! BEST of luck with 7th grade planning and have a great 7th grade year! Warmest regards, Lori D.

9 hours ago, Lori D. said:

The only things I would suggest are:
- Literature -- either a lit. program (e.g., Lightning Lit 7, Mosdos, Memoria Press, or...?), or a line up of good books, with possibly a few lit. guides to go with a few of them

- Typing -- if your student is not already proficient at touch typing, this is a great time to nail that down

Possible Science ideas: Exploration Education, Mr. Q Science, Nancy Larson Science 5, Noeo Science level 3, ACS Adventures in Chemistry, Rainbow Science year 1

Totally optional, but you might look at some way to include PE and develop a good life habit of some regular physical exercise -- waling/running/biking/skating; take lessons in martial arts, dance etc, ; join a swim team or sports team; or... ??

Also totally optional, but you might look in to involvement in some sort of Fine Arts -- theater, dance, art (drawing or painting) ,musical instrument, choir, pottery, woodworking, jewelry making, print making, filmmaking, photography.... etc.

And the middle school years are a great time for pursuing a passion/personal interest or developing an interest in an activity through scheduling regular time for exploration -- Coding, Cake Decorating, Baking, Sewing, Electronic Kits/Soldering, Robotics,  etc.

Thank you!

I feel like we definitely have PE covered with all the sports they do. They are all also involved in music in at least one way. I might look into other ways to pursue things like sewing, cooking, etc...

Thanks for the lit ideas! 

• Like 2

One thing I noticed when my oldest 3 were going through middle school was that they all seemed to have a few years where it seemed like they "weren't doing enough" and were often at loose ends. A friend of mine's husband wanted briefly to put their son in public school because he "just wasn't busy enough" so I don't think it was just my kids who experienced this. But I'm glad we persevered and that we didn't try to add too much additional academics at that point because those 7th-9th grade years are all when they all found "their thing" - something to be passionately interested in - programming, music and video composition, creative writing. If I had added in more "school" stuff like I was tempted to, they wouldn't have had the free time to figure that out and dig into it in a self motivated way.

Just a thought I have every time I see someone asking if their middle schooler is doing enough ... please disregard if it doesn't apply to you 🙂

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Momto6inIN said:

One thing I noticed when my oldest 3 were going through middle school was that they all seemed to have a few years where it seemed like they "weren't doing enough" and were often at loose ends. A friend of mine's husband wanted briefly to put their son in public school because he "just wasn't busy enough" so I don't think it was just my kids who experienced this. But I'm glad we persevered and that we didn't try to add too much additional academics at that point because those 7th-9th grade years are all when they all found "their thing" - something to be passionately interested in - programming, music and video composition, creative writing. If I had added in more "school" stuff like I was tempted to, they wouldn't have had the free time to figure that out and dig into it in a self motivated way.

Just a thought I have every time I see someone asking if their middle schooler is doing enough ... please disregard if it doesn't apply to you 🙂

I'm glad you said that! It absolutely applies to me!

• Like 2

This is super similar to my middle schoolers' year.  The only thing we add is a required reading list (I read too so we can discuss but it's very informal).  

I'm finding that I can't pile on as much as I expected to when they were in the grammar years.  Partly puberty makes learning hard.  Partly they are both so busy with their own (worthwhile) interests.  So I appreciate Momto6's comment.

• Like 2

On 7/2/2019 at 8:47 PM, Momto6inIN said:

This is where I'm at right now. My middle schoolers (ages 14 and 12) are blowing me away by the people they are becoming and the interests they are developing. As someone coming from a Charlotte Mason background, I feel like I've spread a feast that exposed them to all sorts of things, but that they have grabbed onto things that I didn't expect and are blossoming in them. Without time schedule in to pursue these things, they might not have gotten into them. 

I think you also can't pile on as much because the work is so much deeper in middle school. I'm seeing that as I learn Hebrew, the amount of work I have to do between lessons is going up a lot as I get better. I can read current events and write (short) essays, which is a lot harder than conjugating a list of verbs. The same things happen as kids have deeper books. Also, I found that my older kids started doing their own research on reading that interested them. So I'd check their "history" on the computer and find they had been reading on Wikipedia about the corruption scandal that happened with regard to making Central Park in NYC or looking up articles about the Aral Sea and the failure to properly share water. If the schedule had been too packed, that wouldn't have happened. But this is the learning I long for - the learning that is passion-driver and developing a lifelong learning pattern.

Emily

• Like 1