Menu

About to spend alot of money, breadmaking decisions

DH and I are carefully considering getting a mixer to help with food costs to do more home baking.

I found this deal, is it really a deal? Also, does anyone have information on exactly why homemade bread and fresh ground flour is better for us. We know it is, but WHY?

Thanks.

http://www.urbanhomemaker.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=225&idproduct=2218

momee,

I just want to bring this up since I am a long time breadmaker. About a year ago I switched to making artisan bread in the oven on a baking stone. I make a big batch of dough once a week and use it all week long for bread and pizza. The tools required are a pizza stone, a pizza peel (I use http://www.superpeel.com) and a rubbermaid bin that fits in the refrigerator that I use to store my dough. This method is no-knead -- no mixer required. As busy as I am this method frees me from all the mixing, timing, etc. of traditional breadmaking, and the freeform loaves are lovely, as are my pizzas.

If you need specific information, see "Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day" available at amazon and everywhere else.

Dana

Hi There,

I have looked at the Urban Homemaker. I liked them since I first saw the site, bit supporting them now is especially important with her husband's early death. My mom has had a Magic Mill and a Bosch. (I'd get the biggest one!) She bought it about 25 years ago, and it's just now starting to die. She makes bread at least once a week. When you crack a wheat berry(kernel) the oils in it start to turn rancid, so bread from a store is always rancid..... So, it's actually kindan bad for you! Also, with fresh bread you can control the ingredients. I believe my mom uses "Safety Yeast" It's got a little bakers man on the front and is vacuumed packed, it doesn't have to be proofed. My mom makes bread for us, and it's wonderful! You can easily go through a whole loaf with some butter and honey!

Carrie:-)

I have six kids and we were going throuugh at least a loaf of storebought bread a week (dh also brings a sandwich to work every day). Back in June, I used some of my rebate money (remember the one that was going to jumpstart the economy?) to buy the new Bosch Universal Plus. This machine is wonderful! I can make upp to 7 loaves at once, but my oven only fits 6, so that is what I do. I also joined a food coop (United) and buy my flour in 25 lb bags since I didn't want to buy another appliance (a whispermill) until I knew that this bread thing was going to work. Anyway, I don't think I've bought a loaf of bread since June! I bake once or twice a week and store my bread in a chest freezer. I think I did my cost estimate around $1.80 to $2.00 a loaf, but I live in New England where food costs are very high. I think people who live out near the Great Plains pay quite a bit lesss for flour.

I use recipes from the King Arthur whole G"rain Cookbook, which I LOVE! They have a lot of great recipes (cookies, cakes, muffins, etc.) that I use as well.

jeri

Yes, Urban Homemaker has excellant prices. I believe I was in her home way back when she was getting started. My brother lived in Denver at the time and we were visiting him for Christmas one year and he said let's take a road trip, I want to check out this ladies bread mixers. She was very nice, but very busy woman!

Note: I bought my Bosch from a homeschooling Mom I know. She says the best deals are around Mother's Day..they do lots of add ons they don't do the rest of the year.

My Mom has had her Bosch for several close to three decades and it is still going strong. I heard she passed it onto someone else just recently.

A bosch mixer is not just a bread machine..it is a mixer and I use it as such. I mix of large batches of meatloaf, large batches of Banana bread..etc.

Hi Mommee,

I've been doing my own bread for a couple years now. I've recently started milling wheat for cream of wheat and eating more beans, for my health. If you go to http://www.breadbeckers.com you can find several articles on milling your own wheat. They are a wonderful business, and I've personally talked to Sue Becker over a health problem. I couldn't believe this busy mom who homeschools and has her own business took time out of her schedule to try and help me.

The articles here should help you with the why it's better for you. Basically it's all of the vitamins that are in the whole wheat when it's freshly milled. The fresh milled WW flour isn't like store bought whole wheat. It's not dry and gritty. I use a Nutrimill and you can really grind some fine flour with it.

All of that being said, there are several sites that I've seen that believe you should soak your grains for a maximum health benefit...and even mill your wheat fresh and let it sit around for awhile. There are just different opinions. Breadbeckers have an article arguing their side and it sounds pretty reasonable. I've known friends who have experienced better health from eating freshly milled whole wheat bread (warts disappearing from the vitamin E and lowered cholesterol levels).

Once you begin to do it, it's not that hard, especially with a good mixer and a good grinder. It will take a bit of time experimenting with diff. recipes. breadbeckers has a recipe book with a basic dough recipe that I use. I have a nutrimill with a kitchen aid to mix it, but once it dies I want a DLX. Oh, at breadbeckers they have a free cd you can order which goes into detail on why you should eat bread and other baked goods from fresh milled wheat.

PM me if you have any specific questions you think I could help with.

Alison in KY

Dana -

Does the artisan bread make good sandwich bread?

Thanks!

Lisa

Yes - I make a bunch of baguettes for sandwich bread instead of slicing a loaf. The loaves do come out good, it's just that they are round and you end up with oddly shaped pieces on the ends.

The baguettes are not just good - they are excellent. Especially when they are just out of the oven.

Dana,

How many loaves do you make a week? I just got the book in the mail and I'm trying to figure out how much to we'll go through.

Thanks!

I use the recipe shortcut: 6:3:3:13

which is

6 cups warm water

3 Tbsp Kosher salt

3 Tbsp yeast

13 C unbleached white flour

If I am going to be making pizza dough I add about 1/4 C olive oil and 1 Tbsp sugar before I mix in the flour. You can still make pizza and bread with (or without) these additions.

This makes several loaves and pizzas - I am not sure how many, but I make this much dough every week. We're a family of 5.

Dana

as to what prices they can offer, so all bosch dealers will have to offer the same price. The Urban Homemaker is an excellent dealer and offers lots of free advice and helps on her website and as someone else mentioned, her husband recently died, so know that by ordering from her, you are helping to support a widow and her family. The price for the bosch on her website is the Christmas special and is a great deal. I bought my Bosch this past Mother's Day and the current price is less than what I paid.

I love my bosch and recommend it to everyone. I am waiting for this week's bread to rise as I am writing this. We have homemade cinnamon rolls, pocket sandwiches, pizza crusts, and pita bread on a regular basis. We also have pancakes, muffins, cookies and waffles made with fresh whole wheat flour a lot. The grain mill and bosch have saved us money because with grain and some basic ingredients, I can make a large variety of whole grain bread based meals that are more filling than store bought counterparts, so I am cooking from scratch and it is more filling which means we eat less.

Joy

I love the information this site gives. I was just thinking today after yet again heading out to the bread store I should just start baking my own. WIth only 4 kids we go through 1-1.5 loaves of bread a day. My oldest is a major carboholic and would live off bread and cereal if I let him so he easily eats 1/2 a loaf in one sitting.

Thanks to all of you who've taken time to reply.

So, the Artisan bread doesn't need mixing? Hmmm. Have to check that out.

I am very touched by the Urban Homemaker's situation though and may end up buying the Bosch and mill just to help her. I think that's my biggest FEAR.

I make 100% whole wheat bread, 3 loaves at a time and I don't use a mixer (although I have a KitchenAid). I let my bread ferment a long time (I start it the morning of the 1st day and don't bake it until sometime the next). Because of the long fermentation (which makes the bread healthier) I don't need to knead much, about 3-5 minutes total, including the preliminary mixing, for 3 loaves of whole wheat.

BUT, those Bosch's sure look nice!