Menu

AOPS alternative

WahM

Is there an alternative to AOPS pre-algebra. My daughter is strong in math, but doesn’t necessarily love it. I’m not sure the discovery method would work well for her. We’ve always used Singapore Mathematics Standard Edition, so I’d prefer to keep that same rigor for pre-algebra. I’m just not sure what program we should use.   

If you like the AOPS pre algebra text, but don't want the full discovery method, the AOPS site has free videos that teach the material.  You could watch it first rather than working through the problems.  The videos are excellent and entertaining.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EmilyGF said:

I've been having my daughter work through some of the New Elementary Mathematics supplemental workbook and it seems very solid. That series might be a good alternative.

Emily

I haven’t really looked at this program yet. I will check it out. Thanks.

16 minutes ago, Izzybizzy said:

If you like the AOPS pre algebra text, but don't want the full discovery method, the AOPS site has free videos that teach the material.  You could watch it first rather than working through the problems.  The videos are excellent and entertaining.

Oh, that’s a great idea! Thank you.

I know lots of people on these boards love AoPS, and my oldest DS did too, but is there a reason why you think you *should* use AoPS? Just because it's considered the most rigorous, doesn't always mean it's the best for every situation or every strong math student. Jacobs is a good solid choice, and we love Video Text here, although that probably doesn't have the rigor you're looking for.

I would personally never use AoPS for any student who doesn't love math ... just looking at the books and thinking about using the discovery method makes my other kids shudder LOL And the time and effort my oldest DS spent on math with AoPS would make my other kids shrivel up and die. But he's a computer science guy and loved it and thrived on it and did it for fun.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Momto6inIN said:

I know lots of people on these boards love AoPS, and my oldest DS did too, but is there a reason why you think you *should* use AoPS? Just because it's considered the most rigorous, doesn't always mean it's the best for every situation or every strong math student. Jacobs is a good solid choice, and we love Video Text here, although that probably doesn't have the rigor you're looking for.

I would personally never use AoPS for any student who doesn't love math ... just looking at the books and thinking about using the discovery method makes my other kids shudder LOL And the time and effort my oldest DS spent on math with AoPS would make my other kids shrivel up and die. But he's a computer science guy and loved it and thrived on it and did it for fun.

Agree! My ds who is a physics geek and double majored in physics and math and is now in grad school for theoretical cosmology, AoPS was the perfect fit.  He loves to dwell in theorizing and thinking in terms of puzzles coming together to make sense. It is who he is and what he breathes. I have other kids who have been just as good in math where AoPS would have made them shrivel up in dread. Just bc they could in no way means they should!! Too much energy and effort for equal results does not make sense for them. Straightforward teaching with strong application is all the have wanted and needed.

My current rising sr would much rather spend her time solving computer programming challenges than theorizing about math. (Though she does spend hours breaking puzzle codes.)

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Momto6inIN said:

I agree and never said I think we “should” use it, hence, the point of my post asking for alternative options that are rigorous but not the discovery method. I would like to stay with a rigorous program because she seems to be leaning strongly towards a science based career and she does like math, just doesn’t love it or want to spend her free time on it. 

35 minutes ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

Agree! My ds who is a physics geek and double majored in physics and math and is now in grad school for theoretical cosmology, AoPS was the perfect fit.  He loves to dwell in theorizing and thinking in terms of puzzles coming together to make sense. It is who he is and what he breathes. I have other kids who have been just as good in math where AoPS would have made them shrivel up in dread. Just bc they could in no way means they should!! Too much energy and effort for equal results does not make sense for them. Straightforward teaching with strong application is all the have wanted and needed.

My current rising sr would much rather spend her time solving computer programming challenges than theorizing about math. (Though she does spend hours breaking puzzle codes.)

Agree, which is why I created the post asking for alternatives.

I don't really have any "rigorous" pre-alg suggestions.  My kids use MUS's algebra and geo texts in a single yr as pre-alg and pre-geo and move on to Foerster's for alg 1. Dolciani is supposed to be thorough and good. Jacobs alg begins with pre-alg and some people just go straight into that.

1 hour ago, WahM said:

I agree and never said I think we “should” use it, hence, the point of my post asking for alternative options that are rigorous but not the discovery method. I would like to stay with a rigorous program because she seems to be leaning strongly towards a science based career and she does like math, just doesn’t love it or want to spend her free time on it. 

Sorry to misunderstand, I read "alternatives" and interpreted that to mean "this is what I feel like is the standard that I should use but what else is there". 

Like I said in my pp, Jacobs is a solid choice. We love Video Text and my oldest DS says it prepared him well with a solid conceptual foundation for AoPS in later high school and then STEM at uni,  but some here don't consider it rigorous enough.

My "mathy" kid felt just "meh" about the chapters in AoPS pre-algebra he did but he has LOVED Elements of Mathematics. He's finishing up the last EMF algebra course and then will be doing AoPS Intermediate Algebra at the (semi)local branch of AoPS Academy that is opening up in the fall. The AoPS Academy screener was impressed by the syllabus for EMF and by DS' problem-solving skills in the screening interview.

8 hours ago, JennyD said:

I am reading this thread with interest.  My middle son has struggled with BA 5 and I would love to change gears and do something else for prealgebra, hopefully ultimately making our way back to AoPS once he' s a bit more mature.

Unlike what other posters share, our experience with AoPS is that the only thing that mattered was a solid basic math background. My ds didn't take his first AoPS math course until 8th grade. He only used Horizons for elementary, MUS for pre-alg/pre-geo, Foerster's alg 1&2, and Chalkdust for geo. He took AoPS intermediate with zero issues. He badgered his younger sister until she agreed to take AoPS alg 1 bc he loved AoPS so much. She had no problems with the math, but she strongly disliked the approach.  (Again, her background was Horizons for elementary school.) 

• Like 1