Menu

Dr. hive...Losing weight on steroids and anti inflammatory meds....anyone know about this?

Ottakee

I had a weird (but positive for me) side effect of losing weight whenever I took a steroid burst.  In the 5-8 days I was on them I would lose 5+ pounds.

Recently I started taking Aleve 2 pills twice a day and I am down 10 pounds.  I NEED to lose about 75 pounds so this is welcome...and is coupled with trying to eat a bit better, drink more water, and exercise.  Those things though aren't enough to account for the amount of weight loss and I was doing those before starting the Aleve.

Has anyone ever heard of anything like this?  I feel great, no other concerns.  I did have lichen planus about 10 years ago.

My PT wondered about an inflammatory disease.

I'm just guessing but with 75 pounds to lose, the 10 pounds lost could easily be mostly water weight, which can happen very quickly.  Any chance your eating better is lower in carbs?  It is very common to drop a bunch of water upon eating fewer carbs.

Usually i think people gain on steroids—but if you have a reverse situation going and it’s the right direction that’s wonderful!

my guess would be that steroids are uppers often and anti inflammatories would tend to make you feel better— and that the feeling better and burst of upperness is increasing your activity or metabolism or something along those lines 

2 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

What are your bloodsugars on steroids?  Mine go sky high. And a sign of diabetes can be losing weight. 

As far as inflammation itself goes, the leas inflammation for me, the less swelling (ie water retention in my cells). 

No idea as they were only a low dose for 5-7 days and my fasting blood sugars done every 6-12 months are perfect.  

4 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I do this. For me, it is water weight (even up to 15 lbs). I also feel fantastic on steroids.

Neither of those things is normal for a normal person, but both are pretty common in the autoimmune world.

I don't have anything autoimmune diagnosed but was wondering if there was something to look into before I see the doctor again.  I am still losing on the NSAID at an OTC dose.  I only took the steroids for a few days.

5 hours ago, Pegasus said:

I'm just guessing but with 75 pounds to lose, the 10 pounds lost could easily be mostly water weight, which can happen very quickly.  Any chance your eating better is lower in carbs?  It is very common to drop a bunch of water upon eating fewer carbs.

NOPE.  Donut at work, McDonalds for supper.  Sadly I am not eating much differently at all.  I am working on that but this week with the last week of school has been hectic....yet I am still losing.

4 hours ago, Pen said:

Usually i think people gain on steroids—but if you have a reverse situation going and it’s the right direction that’s wonderful!

my guess would be that steroids are uppers often and anti inflammatories would tend to make you feel better— and that the feeling better and burst of upperness is increasing your activity or metabolism or something along those lines 

Really, other than drinking a bit more water my activity level is the same, eating is close to the same, etc.  I would love to say, yes, I stopped drinking all of the pop and I refused the donut at work, and didn't get McDonalds for supper but that isn't the truth.

18 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

Really, other than drinking a bit more water my activity level is the same, eating is close to the same, etc.  I would love to say, yes, I stopped drinking all of the pop and I refused the donut at work, and didn't get McDonalds for supper but that isn't the truth.

If that is what you are eating, and your weight loss is recent, I would really really wonder if your bloodsugars are still good.  If they are, then I guess just be glad for this weight loss miracle?  I have to lose a bit more than you and for long term, changing your eating habits is going to be necessary and not just for weight loss, in my opinion.