Menu

SAT Lit Subject Test

Anyone with experience with the SAT Subject Test for Lit?

I have my ds signed up for it this year after AP Eng Lang. I know it should be after AP Eng Lit, but he takes that in Senior year and by then, the SAT Lit exam/score would be a moot point. He's adding it in case he needs an SAT II humanities score. He already has SAT Bio (SAT USH - but that wasn't so good), SAT Math, and SAT Physics (this year). I thought a solid humanities SAT score would come in handy.

Anyone with experience? Thanks!!

My Dd took it.  She did not study because Lit was one of her favorites and she took two other Subject exams that day, used Lit for a break in between.  She did do a timed exam out of a review book first so she knew how to pace herself.  I believe a good knowledge of literary terms was needed, if he needs review there should be sets on quizlet to practice with.

I needed a last minute SAT II and took Lit cold without any AP English at all and still did fairly well.  I think it’s easier to make educated guesses on a multiple choice humanities test, the right answer is always there, you might recognize some of the wrong answers, you aren’t just picking from a list of numbers like a math test.  So do some review and practice test taking skills, but I think a kid with AP Language is going to do okay.  

I think my dd is going to take the SAT Lit test in June.  She’ll do as others have suggested — take a practice test and if it seems like she is going to do well, she’ll take the subject test. She was going to take the SAT History one, and I had already signed her up, but she is getting a bit burnt out so she’s going to take Lit instead because she can probably do that without any prep.

ETA: My dd has done a lot of lit analysis and taken many years of Omnibus classes.

Edited by Mom0012
  • Like 1