Menu

We are going to be wrapping up primary mathematics 5b at the end of the school year. My dd has done fine this with program. We only use the textbook/workbook, not all the other add one. I’m just not sure which direction to go for the next school year? I’m thinking of possibly doing level 6 (not thrilled with this option since there is not a hig), moving on to math mammoth 7, or possibly aops pre-algebra program and just going at her pace. Not if the latter would be too difficult? Any other options or advice on any of the above choices. 

I'm going through the same thing.  My DS has done really well with SM and is finishing up level 5.  But looking at level 6, in addition to having no HIG, it seems shorter than the others.  I think he would easily finish it before the new year.  I've looked at MIF but there is no workbook for level 6.  At this point, I I'm leaning towards MM 6.  His conceptual understanding is incredible, but I'd like him to have a thorough review of fractions before AOPS. 

Did you use Standards or US? I used US through level 5, and then I moved my son into MM for now. Topical because I didn't want to fiddle with placement--there is a suggestion progression on the MM site for doing topical, and then we've tweaked that to my son's strengths and weaknesses. We are using more than one MM topical book at a time. I plan to finish that series, and then move on to Dimensions Math 7 and 8. 

If had been coming from Standards, which I understand has more topics than the US edition, I might have just put him in DM 6 and kept going. He won't end up behind by doing more MM--he was ahead in Singapore by a year. 

DM doesn't have the most traditional teacher's guide either, if that is a concern. It does have worked solutions.

1 hour ago, kbutton said:

Did you use Standards or US? I used US through level 5, and then I moved my son into MM for now. Topical because I didn't want to fiddle with placement--there is a suggestion progression on the MM site for doing topical, and then we've tweaked that to my son's strengths and weaknesses. We are using more than one MM topical book at a time. I plan to finish that series, and then move on to Dimensions Math 7 and 8. 

If had been coming from Standards, which I understand has more topics than the US edition, I might have just put him in DM 6 and kept going. He won't end up behind by doing more MM--he was ahead in Singapore by a year. 

DM doesn't have the most traditional teacher's guide either, if that is a concern. It does have worked solutions.

She has been doing Standards Edition from the beginning. For some reason I haven’t like the look of DM. 

8 hours ago, kristin0713 said:

I'm going through the same thing.  My DS has done really well with SM and is finishing up level 5.  But looking at level 6, in addition to having no HIG, it seems shorter than the others.  I think he would easily finish it before the new year.  I've looked at MIF but there is no workbook for level 6.  At this point, I I'm leaning towards MM 6.  His conceptual understanding is incredible, but I'd like him to have a thorough review of fractions before AOPS. 

It’s hard deciding where to go next with math.

Just putting in a plug for Singapore 6A/B, as it has the focus of word problems to develop solid problem-solving skills. It could easily be used as a supplement if wanting to switch to something else as your main "spine", or if wanting to explore other math topics before moving into a Pre-Algebra or Algebra 1 program.

If you use the 3rd ed. US version, there is a student workbook for 6A and 6B, a teacher text for 6A and 6B, and an answer key (which is actually for 4A/B, 5A/B, and 6A/B). We used Singapore Primary back before there were any HIGs for any of the levels, and it really wasn't that difficult to go over the teacher text with the student and then let the student loose on the workbook. DS#1 is currently halfway through a Mechanical Engineering degree and doing very well with Differential Equations this semester, so I think it all worked out fine, in spite of not having HIGs available to us. 😉

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

I have used Singapore US ed. for three kiddos, and my youngest is currently in 5b. I always hem and haw about this, but then just end up doing SM 6 (or parts of it) and then moving on to Dimensions 7. I do not understand why the Singapore 7 and 8 are not used more frequently. They are fantastic, especially for kids for whom Singapore is working well. Both my older girls transitioned to either public or private high school math with no problem. 

So far, I've used Primary 6A/6B for two kids, and I plan to follow the same path with the third kid.   We used the textbook and workbook plus two add-ons (Intensive Practice and Challenging Word Problems).  FWIW, I think the IP and CWP books are what set Primary Math apart form other programs. 

I realize you are not using the add-ons, but you may want to take another look at them.  Have you checked out SingaporeMathLive.com?  The service provides parent videos and kid videos for Primary Math US Edition, along with videos for all word problems in the IP and CWP.  With this service, I haven't needed an HIG. 

On 4/2/2019 at 8:50 PM, Lori D. said:

Just putting in a plug for Singapore 6A/B, as it has the focus of word problems to develop solid problem-solving skills. It could easily be used as a supplement if wanting to switch to something else as your main "spine", or if wanting to explore other math topics before moving into a Pre-Algebra or Algebra 1 program.

If you use the 3rd ed. US version, there is a student workbook for 6A and 6B, a teacher text for 6A and 6B, and an answer key (which is actually for 4A/B, 5A/B, and 6A/B). We used Singapore Primary back before there were any HIGs for any of the levels, and it really wasn't that difficult to go over the teacher text with the student and then let the student loose on the workbook. DS#1 is currently halfway through a Mechanical Engineering degree and doing very well with Differential Equations this semester, so I think it all worked out fine, in spite of not having HIGs available to us. 😉

As I had mentioned earlier we’ve used the standards edition. I specifically chose the standards because the hig was so wonderful. I may end up just continuing with it for 6th. Not entirely sure yet.

13 hours ago, Taffy said:

So far, I've used Primary 6A/6B for two kids, and I plan to follow the same path with the third kid.   We used the textbook and workbook plus two add-ons (Intensive Practice and Challenging Word Problems).  FWIW, I think the IP and CWP books are what set Primary Math apart form other programs. 

I realize you are not using the add-ons, but you may want to take another look at them.  Have you checked out SingaporeMathLive.com?  The service provides parent videos and kid videos for Primary Math US Edition, along with videos for all word problems in the IP and CWP.  With this service, I haven't needed an HIG. 

I started out using them but after the lesson from the hig, the textbook, the workbook, then the extra books it was just causing a math burnout for all of us. My son is now using the same program and I don’t have regrets not using them. They may be a perfect fit for some, but it wasn’t for us. 

Edited by WahM

I’ve been back and forth on this issue so much. We’re finishing up Standards 5b. I really don’t want to pay more for less, which it what it feels like to buy the TM for 6. I also just don’t have a great feeling about DM. 

As I researched our options, I realized I needed to work backwards from hs. I haven’t taken a math class in decades, so I know I want help for hs. In the end I decided we’ll do Math without borders. To get us ready, MM 6 &7. It’s funny, my son could easily pass AOPS prealgebra test, but the MM6 end of year exam has a lot that we need to cover (haven’t finished 5b, so maybe we’ll cover more of it than I think). Anyway, I want to make sure my kids have a very solid foundation. I like the price of MM and the fact that it’s written to the student and still has lots of mental math. I’m also curious to see him transfer his knowledge to a different curriculum.

I loved Singapore, but I’m frustrated that the HIGs end and also that it’s unclear what to do after 5. I feel like the company sort of abandons their customers and all of us are scrambling to figure out the next step. That’s playing a role in us leaving after 5b. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MJmom said:

I’ve been back and forth on this issue so much. We’re finishing up Standards 5b. I really don’t want to pay more for less, which it what it feels like to buy the TM for 6. I also just don’t have a great feeling about DM. 

THIS  exactly!  My DS sounds like yours.  I'm mostly leaning towards MM as well. I totally agree that it feels like they just leave us hanging, right when it's getting to the point of needing to prepare the kids for higher level math. 

7 hours ago, kristin0713 said:

THIS  exactly!  My DS sounds like yours.  I'm mostly leaning towards MM as well. I totally agree that it feels like they just leave us hanging, right when it's getting to the point of needing to prepare the kids for higher level math. 

Agree with the both of you, which is why we’re thinking about moving on as well. The teacher’s guide is so much more than the higs. 

On 4/9/2019 at 7:47 AM, MJmom said:

I also just don’t have a great feeling about DM. ...

I loved Singapore, but I’m frustrated that the HIGs end and also that it’s unclear what to do after 5. I feel like the company sort of abandons their customers and all of us are scrambling to figure out the next step. That’s playing a role in us leaving after 5b. 

What about DM does not appeal to you?

I know some people think DM is too difficult, and I agree that it is rigorous. I have found that while 6A/B does not take a full year to finish, DM 7 and 8 take more than two years, so it works out well. DM is integrated, very much like the elementary math in its rigor and approach, and if you finish 8B you are into the equivalent of High School Alg 2. So I can see why some might want to move slower, or follow a more traditional B&M curriculum order (all valid points), but it doesn't seem accurate to say that Singapore just leaves you hanging.

I wasn't referring to the curriculum dropping in quality or being incomplete. The feeling of the company leaving me hanging was more about the next step. Should I complete standards 6 or switch to dm6. Should I wait until 7? They do not provide clear information and I've asked in their fb group to crickets. Also, math is not my great love and I haven't taken math in decades. I rely upon my hig, so it's a disappointment to not have it available, because I don't have the time or inclination to figure things out on my own or sort through a TM for appropriate plans. I like that SM is open and go. (It's the only part of my curriculum that isn't pieced together.) My friend has DM in a lower level and struggles to make a balanced work flow through her lessons. I don't know if that is particular her grade level, her teaching, or her children's needs, but it seems cumbersome to me.

I don't doubt the quality of DM. We have been very pleased with the excellent foundation SM gave us, but after wrestling with the questions I had for months (how many threads are there about what to do after standards 5?!), I just felt that I was trying harder to make it work than the company (from a customer service perspective: no hig, no outline of the next step to reassure me). I got excited when I looked at MM and I think it will be very telling to see how well my son's transfer their math knowledge into a new curriculum since we've never switched before. This will also enable me to not to have to directly teach (I hope) into hs math. I always planned to outsource (video, online or tutor) the upper levels. 

• Like 1

On 4/10/2019 at 8:44 AM, hepatica said:

What about DM does not appeal to you?

I know some people think DM is too difficult, and I agree that it is rigorous. I have found that while 6A/B does not take a full year to finish, DM 7 and 8 take more than two years, so it works out well. DM is integrated, very much like the elementary math in its rigor and approach, and if you finish 8B you are into the equivalent of High School Alg 2. So I can see why some might want to move slower, or follow a more traditional B&M curriculum order (all valid points), but it doesn't seem accurate to say that Singapore just leaves you hanging.

Thanks for that tidbit. I don't know anyone IRL using Singapore at all, and not that many people on here have discussed DM 7/8. We struggled a bit with DM 7 and 8 coming from PM US edition. But, my kiddo has some learning quirks that would've been a problem regardless.

This makes me feel better about my choice for kiddo #2 (stated earlier in the thread). 

• 3 months later...