Menu

Beast Academy questions

lulalu

I gave ds the placement test today. The test said to be able to complete without help. Does that include help from Cuisinaire rods? He took the 2a test and the last question was a number puzzle and he used the rods to figure it out. Hs got the answer correct, but wouldn't have without the rods. 

Next question- is all the teaching for the lessons in the comic guide book? Or is there something that I teach from? 

This year we have used Miquon with Singapore. I am able to teach the lessons and concepts from Singapore, but want something to go along with Miquon that does the teaching/explaining. Singapore just seems to require too much of me at this stage right now. We are moving and I will be in language school soon, so I need something a little more laid out. I also gave the CLE placement test, but even during the test ds said it was boring and he loved Beast. He really likes puzzley math and I think he would enjoy a challenge. Although CLE is laid out so independent like which appeals to me in this season of life. 

Ds favorite school of all is Miquon he asks to do it all the time, even first thing in the morning. So we will be continuing with that. I just need something that reviews concepts and gives more practice with paper and pencil. He really gets the hands on concepts well with Miquon. 

1 hour ago, lulalu said:

I gave ds the placement test today. The test said to be able to complete without help. Does that include help from Cuisinaire rods? He took the 2a test and the last question was a number puzzle and he used the rods to figure it out. Hs got the answer correct, but wouldn't have without the rods.

I let my son complete the placement test with manipulatives he was used to using. I still placed in 2A. It was the right choice for him.

Next question- is all the teaching for the lessons in the comic guide book? Or is there something that I teach from? 

There is no teacher book, just the guide and the workbook. We read the guide together and then do some of the workbook. My son is a bit young, a newly 6yo, and while he understands the concepts just fine, he doesn't have the stamina to do a bunch of workbook pages at once so we have never done all the workbook pages for a lesson in a single sitting. Sometimes we re-read the guide before doing another page, sometimes not. Sometimes I have him skip problems if he has done several of the same type with no issue and go on to challenge problems. Then I will have him do a couple of the skipped problems as a review when we've moved on to another lesson. It works for us so far.

This year we have used Miquon with Singapore. I am able to teach the lessons and concepts from Singapore, but want something to go along with Miquon that does the teaching/explaining. Singapore just seems to require too much of me at this stage right now. We are moving and I will be in language school soon, so I need something a little more laid out. I also gave the CLE placement test, but even during the test ds said it was boring and he loved Beast. He really likes puzzley math and I think he would enjoy a challenge. Although CLE is laid out so independent like which appeals to me in this season of life. 

My ds is similar, so far BA has been a great fit for him. I'm really hoping it continues to be because it is so easy to implement and has fun and interesting problems to think about and solve. Just putting this out there, one of the reasons it works so well for my youngest ds is because he doesn't need a ton of practice and review for concepts to stick. Once he's got it, he's got it. He is bored silly with tons of review and as I described above, even the relatively small amount of practice and almost no built in review, he still gets it and wants to move on before he has done all the problems in the workbook. I'm fine with that and just use the skipped problems as sort of review problems just to make sure he still gets some practice and review but my other kids might not have been able to do well with a program with so little practice and review before moving on to the next concept. Oh and one last thing, I think an older child could probably do BA with just a parent available for help if needed. I expect my son will get to that point eventually but for now, I don't mind going through it with him.

• Like 1

I would consider “without help” to mean no people help and no electronic (calculator/type) help. I would freely allow manipulatives.

Yes, teaching is all in the guides. My daughter loves to read them on her own, but for any sections that were truly new information for her, we needed to read them carefully together. Otherwise, she read for the story and not for the math.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, lulalu said:

I've taken one child through Beast 3-5, one through 3-4 (will do 5 next year), and started a 3rd in 2 this year.  And for full openness a 4th student that did Beast 3 a and b before I decided it was a bad fit.

I didn't allow manipulatives during placement tests, tbh, but if he only needed rods on one problem I hardly think it counts.  If he needed them for every problem that might cause more of an issue.  

The teaching is in the comic, but honestly also in the answers!  Beast has, hands down, the BEST answer key so don't overlook it as a tool.

I find Beast to be pretty Independant as long as the child can read.  In the early years I read the comic, they do 1-3 workbook pages, then we do star problems (challenge) together. Then we keep doing 1-3 workbook pages a day until it's time for the next comic.  I only re-read the comic if they forget the concept.  Eventually, usually mid 4, they do it all alone unless they need help.

Miquon to Beast is a very natural progression and what I did with two of my kids.  For what it's worth this last boy completed orange and red before starting Beast 2, and then worked 2a and 2b alongside Miquon Blue.  I just let him choose which he preffers each day.  They are great compliments.  My other kids went all the way through Green before starting Beast, but 2 wasn't out back then so they went straight to 3.  Neither ended up finishing the Miquon series at all to be honest, though one did finish yellow.

• Like 1

Another question-

Does Beast have units in time, money, measuring and things like that? Or does that need to be added in? 

Miquon has some and ds learns math quick without needing much review, but Miquon doesn't seem to have a lot in these areas. 

Yes on measurement.  No on time and money.  That being said, I've never used a curriculum for either.  I introduce time using a clock, and money with a baggie full of bills and change.  I've tacked them onto Fridays, or hit them over the summer, or when we needed a break from something that wasn't clicking, depending on the kid.  Then they just read clocks and count money in life and I make sure when we hit decimals they make the connection to money.

From my memory Miquon does include time very gently in orange, and then again in more advanced ways in yellow, green, and purple.  And I know it has measurements throughout most of the books as well, but particularly a large unit in green.  Miquon doesn't teach money at all.  It's so hard to teach money with a workbook, tbh.  The coin pictures never look like the actual coin, and even I get confused.    

• Like 1

Agreeing with others. I see no reason to treat time and money as topics in a math class. Kids will either learn money by using it, or by understanding decimals. Reading a clock simply comes with practice reading a clock; I bought my kid a watch and showed her how it worked, then would tell her to remind me when it was time to do various fun things.