Menu

podcast episodes about strategies for CAP/highly distracted

I'm looking for podcast episodes with some strategies for CAP (mild) and highly distractible 4/5th graders. I love listening to podcasts and since DS is totally different in learning style from her brothers I need a fresh approach. I'd like to start from basics and instill solid study skills and get her to be more independent.

Thanks for any suggestions.

• Like 1

Oh dear, I hope you get replies. I can't do podcasts for anything, as I don't follow audio stuff very well, lol. Just as a thought, you might look for Ted Talks or videos that you could turn on and listen to and maybe look not only for the auditory processing but also for EF (executive function) and time management strategies. Sometimes professors who write books also have Ted Talks. Halloway would be a big name in ADHD and there are others. Maybe the people from 360Thinking have something. Or just like google for ted talks on executive function or ADHD strategies or writing disabilities or whatever.

Also you could make a post on what she's struggling to be independent in and solicit ideas. I need to have a thread on how to get my butt in gear with organizing/planning. I'm kind of not where I want to be, with too much in my head and not enough on paper and idiot proof...

I just googled “ADHD” (bc honestly those will

be good strategies most likely) and I saw that Dr Ross Greene has a podcast.  

I also saw a podcast called “Parenting ADHD with the ADHD Momma.”

I haven’t listened but they would be ones I would start with.  

Good luck 🙂

• Like 1

• Members
  • 913 posts

ADDitude has awesome podcasts!!! Most are about ADHD but a lot have related things as well, like ADHD + reading problems, etc. I think many of them would relate to CAPD. 

https://www.additudemag.com/tag/podcasts/

excellent source, there seems to be a lot of episodes on executive functioning, seems like more older kids but I'lll listen and get some ideas

• Like 1

So the ADD podcasts have been fantastic. episode 139 is great about teaching ef skills and I'm wondering for your tweens (DD is 9) how do you get them "to buy into the strategies" I was telling DD the reimagining strategy and she was like " I don't want to do that know, I don't need anything for class, etc"

Definitely this strategy and the analog clock with the time timer or just magnetic markers may work, I have to see which is more efficient. Page protectors on weekly schedules will also be a good strategy, but she's not even recognizing that she needs to change her strategy/habits.

• Like 2

Okay, my son is in public school and he had “executive function supports” as part of an IEP for 2 years.

These supports you think would help her — many kids need major scaffolding to learn to use supports.  Independent use can be the last step.  

If she has the skills already and it is just motivation, you have options from — offering an incentive for using supports, to requiring her, etc.

But it’s really possible she doesn’t have the skills.

Then you could start with high support or even doing it for her or with her, and then slowly move things to her but require it, and then — at the end is “hey it’s up to you” for an independent level. 

But you also *dont* know the answers of what will really click with her.  You have good ideas to try. “Lets try it and by the way it’s not very threatening because someone will help you or do it for you starting out” can be a non-threatening way to start out.

There is a huge range for what kids need and take to for executive functioning, you can see what she likes and what works.  She may not need as much help or she may need a lot.  

But base your expectations off of other kids who have more challenges with executive functioning, because kids without them will probably be doing a lot better.  

It is quite a contrast with my daughter, in my home.  But they are all doing their best.  

It is a hard balance too because holding to expectations is good too, it’s just hard to know what is an appropriate expectation.  But there can be a balance because kids still may not “want” to do what is appropriate for them, but if expectations are not in the right place it will never go well.  

So we had a long talk at the airport and DD really got it and got excited about the planner trying that. So step one is to do that and I recall now that I used to do twice a day planner check ins at that time with the kids, so we'll start with that and just get her used to looking at it. She also warmed to the idea of having checklists for evening routines.