Menu

Online Mandarin class?

Ds14 was taking an online Mandarin class from CLRC, but the teacher did not come back for the spring semester and it was cancelled. He would like to continue with Mandarin, but I am not qualified (at all!) to help him with it. We do not have anything like a Saturday school where I live, so I need to find something online. I have him on Duolingo and Chinese with Mike so that he doesn't lose progress made. I would welcome more ideas on treading water as well as class ideas.

You might want to look at the 1 on 1 tutoring with Better Chinese's Discovering Chinese curricula path if you are looking for something that is designed to take your student to SAT2 proficiency. I'm suggesting this as it looks like you might be looking for a high school credit worthy class.

https://www.live.betterchinese.com/

Edited by calbear

• 1 month later...

On Outschool.com there are a couple of good Mandarin teachers: Xiaoling Hong (https://outschool.com/teachers/Xiaoling-Hong#usWYh7px2U) and Ms. Peng (https://outschool.com/teachers/Chumei-Peng#usWYh7px2U). Ms. Peng also does private tutoring and small groups off of Outschool (she is my teacher) as well. My 8yo has had both of them. They are both good, have different approaches, and teach older students. It was a little much for my 8yo, but I use them in small doses for her, and Ms. Peng was perfect for ME. My daughter does live one on one classes with Lingobus, but I don't remember what age they go up to.

Oh, I almost forgot: Bon Voyage World Language School has live Mandarin classes as well. Students can get course credit as well. https://bonvoyagefrance.com/world-languages-academy/chinese/

• Like 2

On 3/2/2019 at 2:36 PM, Meriwether said:

Ds14 was taking an online Mandarin class from CLRC, but the teacher did not come back for the spring semester and it was cancelled. He would like to continue with Mandarin, but I am not qualified (at all!) to help him with it. We do not have anything like a Saturday school where I live, so I need to find something online. I have him on Duolingo and Chinese with Mike so that he doesn't lose progress made. I would welcome more ideas on treading water as well as class ideas.

May I ask who the teacher was?  I’m thinking it was Todd Godwin.  I’m just wondering because my dd is/was planning on taking Japanese with him in the fall.

Edited by Mom0012

On 4/19/2019 at 7:15 PM, Mom0012 said:

May I ask who the teacher was?  I’m thinking it was Todd Godwin.  I’m just wondering because my dd is/was planning on taking Japanese with him in the fall.

I wonder if this is the same Todd Godwin that used to teach on Outschool. My older took Japanese with him. He seemed quite thorough, but after several parent complaints about yelling, insulting, and otherwise bad behavior towards the students, he left the platform (or was kicked off, don't know). What platform is he on now?

On 4/21/2019 at 1:19 PM, RootAnn said:

It looks like Todd is still teaching Japanese at CLRC unless they haven't updated the teacher description yet?

Yes, I did see that. It just makes me wonder if he had committed to teach Mandarin the full year last year and then didn’t follow through.  My dd really wants to take Japanese, but she also has a million other things she wants to do.  Right now, I have all the classes she wants to take on a big white board and we keep staring at it, trying to figure out what to drop or how she is going to fit it all in.  If it’s him (his bio says he also teaches Chinese), I’m worried it might also happen with her class next year.  So, I was just hoping to understand a bit more about what happened with the Mandarin class.  Maybe it wasn’t even him teaching it.  In which case, I’m worrying about nothing.  As usual.😊

• Like 1

On 4/21/2019 at 12:13 PM, Renai said:

I wonder if this is the same Todd Godwin that used to teach on Outschool. My older took Japanese with him. He seemed quite thorough, but after several parent complaints about yelling, insulting, and otherwise bad behavior towards the students, he left the platform (or was kicked off, don't know). What platform is he on now?

I really doubt this is the same guy based on the reviews I’ve read of him in the past.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mom0012 said:

I really doubt this is the same guy based on the reviews I’ve read of him in the past.

Same here, we had him for Arabic and French and private lessons over the summer a few years ago, and he has always been encouraging though rigorous. When I sat in with DD, I never heard yelling or other bad behavior. His Mandarin is quite good actually. CLRC would not continue to hire him if there were complaints about him.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, crazyforlatin said:

Same here, we had him for Arabic and French and private lessons over the summer a few years ago, and he has always been encouraging though rigorous. When I sat in with DD, I never heard yelling or other bad behavior. His Mandarin is quite good actually. CLRC would not continue to hire him if there were complaints about him.

I feel badly that I even mentioned his name.  I should have thought that through a bit more before doing so.  I was just hoping the OP was going to say that no, it wasn’t him, or yes, it was, but there was a perfectly understandable reason he didn’t return for the spring semester.  And that’s what I’m going to assume unless I hear otherwise because it sounds like he has a long and positive record with CLRC and I think my dd is going to love his class.

5 hours ago, Mom0012 said:

5 hours ago, crazyforlatin said:

Oh, shoot! I know who it is. Mr. G, right? That used to be on Currclick Live. He was there for years, and has a great reputation! You guys mentioning all the different languages he teaches helped. The other teacher I mentioned only taught Japanese and was on Outschool a very short time (less than a year).

20 hours ago, Mom0012 said:

I feel badly that I even mentioned his name.  I should have thought that through a bit more before doing so.  I was just hoping the OP was going to say that no, it wasn’t him, or yes, it was, but there was a perfectly understandable reason he didn’t return for the spring semester.  And that’s what I’m going to assume unless I hear otherwise because it sounds like he has a long and positive record with CLRC and I think my dd is going to love his class.

Ds's teacher was a lady. She didn't say why she wasn't able to teach the spring semester, but it wasn't because she was inappropriate at all. Her husband teaches at a college, I believe, and would watch their young kids while she taught. It is possible his spring semester didn't allow for that.

• Like 2