Menu

Bridgewater College and a Pre-Dental Path

Rebecca

It is very small and in a beautiful rural setting. I have a friend who's dd went there for one year. Is the scholarship a full ride?

Honestly, based on their entrance stats and SAT type requirements,  I wouldn't pick it for a highly academic program or pre-prof program. But that is just me. 

Thank you. Any and all information appreciated. We will be there soon and again at the end of next month.

Yes, he has the full ride.

It is the lowest ranked school on his list, but honestly, if he can achieve his career goals, it doesn't really matter

..right now it is the best financial option.

Was hoping there might be some experience in the collective hive...

I was wondering if the honors program would help with the direct mentoring, etc.

Thank you, Chris!

I haven’t heard of the school, but have you checked out how they do with placement into professional health programs such as dentistry, pharmacy, medicine, physical therapy, etc.? Those stats will likely tell you something about how well they academically prepare pre-health students and how good their advising/mentoring is.

• Like 1

How do I check the stats?

I did research dental placement, etc but all I was able to determine were GPA requirements and DAT score needed per dental school. They(Bridgewater) do not have an agreement with a dental school like some other schools he is considering.

Thank you for your help!

Some schools will advertise these stats in their information for prospective students. If not, then I would ask directly when you visit. Some schools have special pre-health advisors or at least faculty members in the sciences who specialize in advising students on these paths. Your son should to talk to them when visiting.

Another thing about pre-med stats — for smaller schools especially, I would want a rough idea of how many students got into med school vs just a percentage.  At some of the schools we have looked at, it was advertised that ___% of their students were admitted to med school, “ ____ % better than the national average”.  It dawned on us that meant just a few students in total.  Also, from what I understand, some schools base the percentage of admittance only on the students they endorse for medical school applications. They don’t include all the other kids that wanted to go but didn’t get their endorsement.   That’s something I was just reading recently.  There is so much information out there, but it is very time-consuming and difficult to weed through it all.

• Like 1

I know several people who went there and loved it (I grew up in Harrisonburg), but all are in humanities/education. Be aware-Bridgewater is TINY. It’s not far to Harrisonburg, but if you do not have a car,you will be stuck with very few options. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mom0012 said:

Another thing about pre-med stats — for smaller schools especially, I would want a rough idea of how many students got into med school vs just a percentage.  At some of the schools we have looked at, it was advertised that ___% of their students were admitted to med school, “ ____ % better than the national average”.  It dawned on us that meant just a few students in total.  Also, from what I understand, some schools base the percentage of admittance only on the students they endorse for medical school applications. They don’t include all the other kids that wanted to go but didn’t get their endorsement.   That’s something I was just reading recently.  There is so much information out there, but it is very time-consuming and difficult to weed through it all.

I agree. Talking directly to advisor and professors is best. Most professors are going to give you the straight story. We certainly found this to be true during our college visits.

Just wanted to follow-up on this thread.

Thank you for all the information.

I did contact the college itself and received some solid information confirming that their program does prepare students to go on to dental school and also medical school. They do have a pre-health professional group  with a pre-med advisor (who responded to my questions).

In addition, I contacted the University of Maryland  School of Dentistry admissions as that is our state of residence- and Bridgewater recommends that students follow the dental prereqs for their state of residence. I spoke with an admissions officer and she stated that they are looking for DAT score, GPA, research, and internships. They are not looking at the ranking of the undergraduate institution.

My son is waiting on three colleges for regular decision who meet 100% financial need. 

But- we are really looking forward to visiting Bridgewater this month!!

-Rebecca