Menu

Float Therapy?

AbcdeDooDah

It wouldn't do my PTSD any good, I can tell you. And I have or have had three different types. (The way I categorise them, because they feel different. According to the DSM, I don't have any PTSD at all. Ha. Shows what they know.)

Maybe it would for people whose PTSD works differently to mine. *shrug*

Is this the therapy where they make sure the water temperature and air temperature and body temperature are exactly the same?  The ones I've heard about, they also block out sounds and light.  You are supposed to not be able to feel it or hear it or see it in any way, or at least as much as possible.  Is that what you're talking about?  So kind of a "non" sensory experience.

6 minutes ago, J-rap said:

Is this the therapy where they make sure the water temperature and air temperature and body temperature are exactly the same?  The ones I've heard about, they also block out sounds and light.  You are supposed to not be able to feel it or hear it or see it in any way, or at least as much as possible.  Is that what you're talking about?  So kind of a "non" sensory experience.

I was not sure either if you were talking about the sensory deprivation pools or something else. Can you give us more info?

1 hour ago, J-rap said:

Oh,yes. Sorry. These are pods filled with epsom salt where you float. It can be complete sensory deprivation. 

5 hours ago, AbcdeDooDah said:

Oh,yes. Sorry. These are pods filled with epsom salt where you float. It can be complete sensory deprivation. 

I've heard of similar type things, but don't have experience.  It does sound relaxing!

My dd tried cryotherapy once for her chronic pain.  That's when they put you in a freezing cold chamber for three minutes...  like -250 degrees!  She thought it temporarily helped (as in for a few hours), but would really need to do it regularly to see more consistent benefits, and she decided against it.

(Float therapy sounds a lot better, to me!)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J-rap said:

I've heard of similar type things, but don't have experience.  It does sound relaxing!

My dd tried cryotherapy once for her chronic pain.  That's when they put you in a freezing cold chamber for three minutes...  like -250 degrees!  She thought it temporarily helped (as in for a few hours), but would really need to do it regularly to see more consistent benefits, and she decided against it.

(Float therapy sounds a lot better, to me!)

Three minutes? That sounds... deadly... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Petrichor said:

Three minutes? That sounds... deadly... 

I know.  It's very controlled though, and I guess it's believed to reduce inflammation in some cases.  (I just looked up the temps, and it said they usually range between -148 F and -220 F.)