Menu

Options for 3 yr history cycle for middle school

Trilliumlady

Not sure if this should be here or in the other forum.....

We are finishing SOTW 4 this year.  DD will be in 6th next year, with SOTW looking pretty light for her (and she’s listened to it first time around).  I’m considering finding a middle school level 3 year curriculum for her to go through (semi-independently?) for 6-8.  I’m good with another go around of world history, but if one of the years was a US history that’s fine too.  What are my options?  

I moved mine into K12's The Human Odyssey. For our own reasons, I aligned it with SotW and spread it out over 4 years with some additional readings, but you could do it straight through. On the side, my middle schoolers do the two U.S. History Detective books from Critical Thinking.

• Like 2

We use both Human Odyssey and History of US during 5th -8th. We use the first couple of volumes of Human Odyssey for 5th and 6th and cover roughly up to the exploration of the Americas. Then in 7th and 8th we switch to History of US. But the 3rd volume of HO is really good too.

They are both really good series (not just a dry textbook) and both series include primary sources.

We are currently doing this: tearing through SOTW (all volumes) along with related literature selections (about a chapter per day).  I'm about to slow that down slightly and work in the Drama of American History series by Collier.   And when we've finished all that... I'd like to do a biographies year.  We'll just move from person to person.  I have a few books of "5o Famous People" and so on, then we'll also read some longer-length full biographies.  

Just to shake things up, here are a few ideas that are NOT a 3-year history study, lol. You can enjoy "filling in" gaps of things you haven't covered previously, and then do a second 4-year chronological history study in high school.

6th grade ideas:
- biography focus -- famous people and events from around the world and throughout history
- U.S. History (living books) + Geography (Beautiful Feet Geography + map pack & the 4 Holling C. Holling books!)
- Geography: Western Hemisphere focus (Abeka: grade 6 Soc. Studies + living books)
- Social Studies mix of "units" (ex: state history/culture/geography; US states & capitals/nations & capitals;  US presidents study; Civics & voting; current events; etc.)

7th grade ideas:
- U.S. History/Geography (Notgrass: America the Beautiful)
- World Geography (Ellen McHenry: Mapping the World With Art)
- World Cultures/Geography & Comparative Religions study -- Western & Islands study (Europe, N. & S. America, Caribbean, Oceania) + Eastern Hemisphere in 8th grade

8th grade ideas:
- history/biography approach to a subject (Story of Science -- Joy Hakim's biography-focused science)
- U.S. History (Joy Hakim's series, or, Sonlight core 100 -- which uses Hakim's series + historical fiction)
- World Cultures/Geography & Comparative Religions study -- Eastern Hemisphere focus (Asia, India, Africa) + Western Hemisphere in 7th grade
- Social Studies topic of high interest to student -- Worldviews, Philosophy, Psychology, Philosophy Archeology, Current Events...

• Like 1