Menu

My brain seems incompatible with iTunes music organization systems. Sigh.

Monica_in_Switzerland

I don't know why this is so difficult for me.  LOL.  

In my playlists, I have folders, and in those folders I have folders.  And in those folders, I have playlists, but each playlist only contains one album.  So maybe I can get rid of one level of hierarchy?  

So, example:

Homeschool Folder contains:

German

-Folder for Book A

- Playlist for Book A (one  album/physical CD)

- Folder for Book B

- Playlist for Book B (one album/physical CD)

History Folder contains:

- SOTW1 Folder

- Playlist for SOTW1 (1 album of all the CDs)

... and so on for all the SOTW books, as well as various other history audiobooks I have, such as Jim Weiss stuff.  

It just seems insane.  But having the sub playlists means I don't have just a huge list of tracks that come from all sorts of different CDs.  

I just can't wrap my brain around a better way to do this.  I've been frustrated by this for YEARS... I feel like an old fogey, and normally I have no issues with tech, but iTunes is just beyond me.  

Any iTunes organizers out there want to share their system???  Especially for non-music tracks.  

Could each thing just be their own playlist? 

For example (all playlists, no folders):

German - Book A

German - Book B

History - SOTW 1

History - SOTW 2

History - other

So instead of folders to keep like things together, having the same word at the beginning would keep them together since iTunes alphabetizes them.

1 minute ago, JIN MOUSA said:

Could each thing just be their own playlist? 

For example (all playlists, no folders):

German - Book A

German - Book B

History - SOTW 1

History - SOTW 2

History - other

So instead of folders to keep like things together, having the same word at the beginning would keep them together since iTunes alphabetizes them.

This is an interesting idea...  It still annoys me that I have to transfer albums to playlists, which feels redundant.  I did just discover I could look at the collection by genre, so at least there is a way to get just my audiobooks and not my music mixed in randomly...  Sigh.  I think what is annoying me is that in a physical space, I would never even store music CDs next to audiobook CDs.  So iTunes lumping them all together in "Albums" view seems dumb.  I am considering using two totally seperate systems, like maybe uploading all my audiobooks to Google Play so that iTunes is just music.  But... annoying.  

32 minutes ago, Rachel said:

ITunes is not intuitive for me either, good luck!

It's been about 4 years since I've been able to use iTunes easily. When they introduced the cloud and wireless syncing, my brain just didn't follow at all.

OP: Hope you can figure it out, it sounds like you've got a lot of important school stuff in there! My iTunes is mostly 90s music 🤫

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

This is an interesting idea...  It still annoys me that I have to transfer albums to playlists, which feels redundant.  I did just discover I could look at the collection by genre, so at least there is a way to get just my audiobooks and not my music mixed in randomly...  Sigh.  I think what is annoying me is that in a physical space, I would never even store music CDs next to audiobook CDs.  So iTunes lumping them all together in "Albums" view seems dumb.  I am considering using two totally seperate systems, like maybe uploading all my audiobooks to Google Play so that iTunes is just music.  But... annoying.  

Hmm - what about, in addition to other playlists, one for All Music and one for All Audiobooks?

Also, I'm not sure where you normally use iTunes (computer, phone, or tablet), but on the computer app, you can change the view of a playlist [top menu > View > View As > (options)], and it only applies to that playlist and it remembers what you've chosen when you quit the app. So having an All Music playlist (viewed as albums) and an All Audiobooks playlist (viewed as albums) may help visually separate the two distinct categories. 

(Can you tell I'm in problem-solving mode?)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

If you right-click on the album cover and choose “get info”, you can change the type from music to audiobook. This way iTunes will keep them separate. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, ondreeuh said:

If you right-click on the album cover and choose “get info”, you can change the type from music to audiobook. This way iTunes will keep them separate. 

I did discover this and have been messing with it for an hour or so... This may end up being my solution workaround.  I listen on a tablet, so I don't think I have the option of view as albums within a playlist... wish I did!!!  That would eliminate so many headaches.  I'll poke around on the tablet anyway to see if it's possible. 

• Like 1