Menu

you guys helped me so much with getting started with IEW last year.  I was hoping that you could give me advice on what to do next.

this is for DS15 Profound Dyslexic,  writing phobic at the beginning of last year he struggled to write 3 sentences. WE got IEW  SWI B.  because of his great difficulties I read the text to him and he writes on the computer - he is proficient at typing.

DS has gotten quite good at doing the outlining. quite good. - he however cannot readily change the outlining to sentences or paragraphs. following advice from you guys we focused mostly on outlining to build those skills. we did all the pages of level B outlining - only once a few weeks changing the outlining to paragraphs ( A huge task for him that was really really difficult) we ran out of tasks so we also outlined all of these supplement books ; Radar, Rockets and Robotics , Medieval Writing,  fables myths and fairy tales and are progressing though the writing source pack.

We do outlining page every day. the days that we write paragraphs I need to get him on a good day . then he refuses to outline, just goes straight to rewriting- usually changing the text  to something humorous - strangely he finds it easier to change his font to code , write the whole thing out in code so he cannot see what he is writing then email it to me where I change it from code to text and see his paragraph.

Anyway my question is what should we do next? should we go on to SWI continuation course B or should we continue to do supplement books in a vain struggle to get him to do an outline then change the outline into a paragraph? Or should we move on to SWI C ?

Ds 15 has only  3 more years of being homeschooled. I highly doubt he will be going to university.  

Edited by Melissa in Australia

My son has dysgraphia and has struggled with what you are discussing - going from outline to paragraph.  We have just started doing an interesting sort of rewrite/dictation technique. Once he has written the essay with me from an outline, on the next day, he re-reads one paragraph from the essay and then with the outline in front of him, rewrites it. (He is not re-writing it to improve it, but rather to just be able to write it down without looking at it as if from dictation, but a whole paragraph at a time). If this is too hard, he can re-read it 2 or 3 times, then rewrite with the outline. And as he gets better, he can re-read it only on the day before, and then rewrite it.  Then, he can do 2 paragraphs at a time, then three.  The idea is that by the end of this, he can write his 10 paragraph essay from an outline without rereading his essay at all.  Then, my hope is that the next essay that we do this with, will take much less rewriting to master working from his outline. 

My plan this year is to have two separate writing sessions.  Session one is this rewriting process from the previous essay.  Then session two, is researching, reading, outlining, writing up the new essay.  Once the new essay is done, he switches to rewriting it while we start the new one. 

We started this process in December, and it went really really well, so are definitely continuing it this year. There is no quick fix, so I expect this process to take 45 minutes a day for Session one for three years. DS is on board.

Good Luck!

Ruth in NZ

Edited by lewelma
  • Like 2

@lewelma When he does the rewrite, you said he does one paragraph, then two, then three, etc. Is he rewriting the first paragraph again then adding one or is he starting with new paragraphs each time? (E.g. Day 1 of rewrites is paragraph 1, Day 2 of rewrites is paragraph 2, ... Day 7 might be paragraphs 7& 8....)

Day 1 - paragraph 1

Day 2 - paragraph 1 and 2

Day 3 - paragraph 1, 2, 3

Day 4 - paragraph 2, 3, 4

Day 5 - paragraph 3,4,5

etc

only 3 paragraphs at a time as he is not very fast. so 2 easy ones and 1 new one. But then we are going to do some longer days where he writes all 10 paragraphs.  Not super clear how we will build up to that yet as we have only done the above. But it is building up his confidence and skill for sure.

DS plans to go to university and is interested in public policy or physical geography.  So he really needs to be able to write.  He is keen, so we can do this. But slow and steady is the way. I have no expectations of a quick fix given the long slow slog to get to where we are now.  At age 11, he was still sounding out words like CAT in order to spell them, so we have come very very far.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/7/2019 at 10:00 AM, lewelma said:

Day 1 - paragraph 1

Day 2 - paragraph 1 and 2

Day 3 - paragraph 1, 2, 3

Day 4 - paragraph 2, 3, 4

Day 5 - paragraph 3,4,5

etc

only 3 paragraphs at a time as he is not very fast. so 2 easy ones and 1 new one. But then we are going to do some longer days where he writes all 10 paragraphs.  Not super clear how we will build up to that yet as we have only done the above. But it is building up his confidence and skill for sure.

DS plans to go to university and is interested in public policy or physical geography.  So he really needs to be able to write.  He is keen, so we can do this. But slow and steady is the way. I have no expectations of a quick fix given the long slow slog to get to where we are now.  At age 11, he was still sounding out words like CAT in order to spell them, so we have come very very far.  

sounds like a plan.

the key I think is the enthusiasm of the student. sounds like your child is enthusiastic. that really helps

• Like 1

I hope I'm not too late for you to see this. 

From SWI-B you would move on to SICC-A NOT SWI-C.  You only do the SWI courses once. Then the continuation courses in order if you wish (SICC-A, SICC-B, SICC-C). Or, as you mentioned, you can do the theme based. If you look in the catalog, there is a stair step diagram that shows this.

SICC-A picks up where the SWIs leave off and introduces more types of writing.  

If you ordered already, and you ordered from IEW directly, there is a 100% money back guarantee and they will pay return shipping so I would call them and see if they can fix the order. 

The other thing is that I would see if you can email/call Jill Pike with IEW. She has a child with dyslexia that she taught and I think she might have some good tips for you. She used to moderate the Yahoo group so it might be that she moderates the forum on the IEW website now. I found her very responsive to questions.

Re: the challenges that he is facing in taking the outline and putting it into sentence form. If it is a writing/scribing issue, have you considered scribing for him or using talk to text?  Is it that he gets the ideas but he can't get them on paper fast enough? Have you tried suggesting sentences from his outline to see if that helps him get it going? It sounds like he is doing his writing at the computer. I understand how that might be easier (especially if he is using talk to text), but is the blank screen intimidating possibly? If you sat with him and scribed, would he find that comforting, or frustrating?  

I hope you are able to get help from IEW. Hang in there OP! 

Edited by cintinative
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Thank you so much for replying. I have ordered, and the order is in the mail. I ordered from an Australian supplier so I don’t think I can return items under the returns policy of IEW.

I will take your advice and email IEW .

thank you 

I am so sorry! I would still do your best to get a hold of IEW. Maybe there is something they can do to help "make it work."  I hope things get better. It sounds like you have been working really hard with him.  Good job momma!

• Like 1