Menu

Italian Wedding Cookies... What did I do wrong? (Pics included)

MrsRobinson

I made these today for the first time ever and I don't think they turned out correctly. I tried one and it immediately crumbled in my mouth before I even bit into it. 

If I put any pressure on them, they fall apart. I have more dough that I haven't rolled and baked yet, so if anyone knows what I did wrong, maybe I can save the rest of the dough?

1221181653.jpg

1221181655a.jpg

3 cups all-purpose flour sifted

1 1/2 cups finely ground blanched almonds

3/4cups confectioners’ sugar plus 1 cup for rolling

3/4 teaspoon salt

1 1/2cups unsalted butter room temperature

5teaspoons vanilla extract

1teaspoon almond extract 

Here's the amounts the recipe gave if that helps. I'm so annoyed. Especially after the ration vanilla thread! Lol! This used FIVE TEASPOONS of it!!! 😰

The recipe looks right though I use closer to 1 cup of ground nuts. Maybe the greater amount made them crumbly.  We also shape them as cresents. Try a tray of cresents and see if the shape changes anything.  Every country has their own name for this cookie. It is my favorite.  We are making them tomorrow. 

• Thanks 1

Possibly too much flour (makes the dough too dry) -- and/or not enough butter as binder. 
Did you make them too large? They crumble easily if not kept small.
My mother-in-law also says if you don't leave enough space around them, they don't cook right (so space for heat distribution, not for spreading).
Also, bake until turning golden to golden brown on the bottoms, but still light (possibly just a hint of tan) on the tops. (Your photo looks a bit under-cooked.)

My mother-in-law's recipe (which has worked great for over 50 year):
1 cup butter
1/2 cup powdered sugar (sifted)
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. almond extract
2 cups flour
1 cup ground nuts (we use pecans)
1/4 tsp. salt

Cream butter, sugar and vanilla. blend in nuts and flour. After about 1-1/2 cups of flour, blend in the rest of the flour with your hands to prevent putting in too much. Chill dough at least 1 hour before shaping (but may need to let it sit to warm up a little bit if left in the fridge too long). Bake at 350˚ for 12-15 minutes*, depending on your oven. Roll in additional sifted powdered sugar while still just slightly warm, and do it a second time when cooler.

* = her original recipe says 425˚ for 10-12 min. but on the recipe card she wrote out for me, she even says that is WAY too hot and to try 350˚, which works great in our oven, which tends to cook a little hot. (But that original recipe oven temperature does indicate that you might need a hotter oven for a shorter bake, coupled with small cookie ball size).

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yep, Scarlett, they do! The 2nd batch baked for 12 minutes at 350 and they were great! Dh was home by then and he tried one from each batch and said the 2nd batch was much better. 

I feel silly not realizing they were underdone but I've never made these before and I don't recall ever eating one either, so I wasn't sure what I was going for with color or texture. 😲 

Hive to the rescue! Thanks guys! Too dark to take another picture but I might have to post a picture tomorrow when all the cookies are done! 😉

Edited by MrsRobinson
Used cooked when I should've said baked.
  • Like 8