Menu

Dr Fuhrman's Eat to Live Diet help ...

mathnerd

I did not want to derail the other thread, so wanted to start a separate thread to discuss this diet.

I am already a vegetarian and eat dairy occasionally. I use EVOO or Avocado oil in my cooking in the belief that it is a healthy addition to my diet. I see that Dr Fuhrman recommends no oil and no salt at all. I am looking for recipes and resources for meals that strictly follow Dr Fuhrman's diet. I have ordered his book on amazon and have started reading about it online. I would like to get recommendations from those of you who have succeeded highly with it.

My goal would be to get rid of my mental fog, increasing my fitness level and losing 5-10 pounds. Many of my family members got diabetes at my age and I need to be vigilant in preventing it. 

Thank you for your help in advance!

Some websites or books that follow (or mostly follow) the no oil rules (you can omit salt if they do add salt)...

Hello Nutrarian

Engine 2

Forks Over Knives

Sustainable Diet

McDougall

Straight Up Food

I can provide links later, if needed, but googling should get you to their sites.

I haven't super-strictly followed ETL, but in the past couple of months I have significantly reduced the amount of fat in my diet (&, in general, have bettered my overall diet). I was a 'bad' vegetarian for years & years (too many processed & prepackaged foods, take-out, etc.) & my cholesterol levels are to the point it seems like I eat about 47 cheeseburgers a day. I'm seriously altering my diet to see if that has an impact (in addition to cholesterol meds). I have dropped weight & will be getting a blood draw soon to see what my current numbers are.

• Like 4

I think that Dr Fuhrman says to only include nuts and seeds as sources of fat. He also specifies how much of them to eat every day. So, the diet has no oils in oil form, but you should eat sources of plant based oils... 

i make salad dressing using oil - hence my original question- it turns out that the sources mentioned above have recipes for no oil salad dressing (some used raw nuts)

Edited by mathnerd

24 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

When y’all say no oils - do you mean literally, zero oils? Aren’t there good, plant based oils that actually provide essential fatty acids?

Don't mean to derail - I’m genuinely curious. 

This article pretty much explains my reasoning (after reading lots and lots about ways to reduce my cholesterol levels):

https://www.karissasvegankitchen.com/oil-free-vegan-diet-beneficial-or-extreme/

I am not completely oil free but am getting closer and closer. I have eliminated much of the oil I used to use at home.

Dr. Greger How Not to Die is similar (his cookbook is mentioned above).  People often recommend sautéing veg in a bit of water or broth instead of oil.  I would think a lot of recipes can be modified by just leaving out fat and salt (or subbing).  For baking I sub applesauce for oil, etc.  

Have you searched recipes using Whole Foods plant based?  I think it’s hard to find healthiest recipes online, but modifying can get them close.  I’m still trying to transition so not a lot of tips from me 🙂

Edited by displace

One of my easiest ways to do a no-oil dressing is to add chunks of avocado to my salad along with pepitas.  I squeeze lime on top, add cracked pepper and maybe a pinch of sea salt, and it's a very satisfying meal when all said and done.  You can puree the avocado if you want something creamier or as a base for a different flavor dressing.

Had my follow-up dr. appt.

I haven't implemented Eat to Live (& similar whole foods/plant-based eating) 100%, but I have gone more that way in the past 3 months. I'd say I follow it about 75-85% of the time. I have lost 10 pounds. I'm still considered in the range of pre-diabetic, but the numbers are better than last time. I'm close to the "normal" range now.

In addition, the eating changes & the cholesterol meds have resulted in my cholesterol dropping over 200 points in 3 months. (I'm still in shock over that one. Waiting to see the actual paper printout that comes in the mail to verify in case the voice mail from the dr. was wrong, but.. whoa! I'm in the "normal" cholesterol range now & I'm not even on the edge of being high.)

Edited by Stacia
  • Like 4