Menu

Ice fishing

Supposing a kid were really into fishing during good weather, and wanted to give ice fishing a try,  but wasn't really sure they wanted to commit... And we don't really want to drop a ton of money only to find out it's not their thing after all... What are the most basic essentials you really need to go ice fishing? Obviously, something to break up the ice (and scoop it out as it reforms) and a seat of some sort (overturned bucket, maybe?) and stronger line. What else?

I agree with SusanC.  Try to find someone who ice fishes to take him (and you or your dh) along to show him the ropes.  He'll have the ice auger and any other necessary equipment so you and your ds can see how it's done.  Be sure to ask what to bring to sit on, as he'll likely not have extras.  Maybe someone your dh works with or someone at your church or homeschool group would be willing to help?  Possibly a neighbor?  

• Like 2

The rod setup is totally different (at least in my part of the world). My DH grew up with a board (like, 1x6x12?) with v’s cut into each end (think like a ribbon) to wind the line around. And around here you need a shelter of some kind to keep the wind out. And I think a regular camping chair would be a ton more comfy than a bucket.

ETA: and definitely an auger. Because if the ice is thin enough that you don’t need an auger, than you shouldn’t be standing on it, putting holes into it.

Edited by arctic_bunny
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, 4KookieKids said:

Thank you. We don’t know anyone who ice  fishes, but maybe I can cast my net a little wider locally by advertising at the bigger homeschool groups that we are not members of. 🙂 

If ice fishing is a local activity you might also ask local scout groups - they often have parents or members who do that kind of thing. If the homeschool groups or scout groups don't work out you could ask the area wildlife management agency(ies)? If even that doesn't work, I guess there is always YouTube.

• Like 1

I think it's very wise to find an opportunity to go with someone else before purchasing any equipment yourself. Also, have your ds list the specific things he really enjoys about the fishing he does now. Then determine whether there is any overlap with ice fishing. For example, my favourite parts about fishing is being in a boat and looking down into the water. That doesn't happen at all in ice fishing, hence my huge disappointment in ice fishing. It was incredibly boring and uncomfortable just standing around freezing.