Menu

I am so conflicted! You all need to help me!!!

SereneHome

For some unknown reason I LOVE subscription boxes.  Well, actually I love the idea of subscription boxes.  The surprise of it all!  Not having to do shopping but things just appearing on your door step.

But here is my problem.  1 - I am super cheap and almost never think that they are worth the $$ and 2  - I have "slight" control tendencies, so while I love the idea of surprise boxes, spending money on "unknown" doesn't sit well with me.

I was looking into book box subscription but just can't seem to decide on anything. 

Anyone done any they really love and thought was very much worth it?  Or should I just forget the idea altogether?

21 minutes ago, texasmom33 said:

I have liked StitchFix in spurts. But usually they get no more than two boxes in a row with anything right, or else something unravels or a zipper breaks and I have to send it back,  and then I swear off of them for 9 months and then wash, rinse, repeat. I have enjoyed surprise box bottles of wine because I am not picky about wine.

But honestly for the most part, if I'm paying for the box, I AM too picky for boxes and I agree with you that they are usually overpriced. To your question,  I'd lean towards skipping unless you just really really really want a surprise box. I would rather just order what I want off of Amazon. I think a book box would drive me insane because I'm picky about books. But some people will read anything. That would be the question I'd ask myself. If I get a box of books and hate 50% of them am I going to be annoyed, or am I going to think, well it was a learning experience? 

That's EXACTLY why I am so hesitant to order any boxes....I will be super annoyed AND feel like I didn't spend my money wisely

The boxes I have ordered have filled a niche in our lives.  I don't like collecting a lot of *stuff* or having a thousand cardboard and plastic pieces.  But, we have done Little Passports, and that was okay (kid really liked it, I worked my butt off to add more activities and experiences each month around it, so, maybe he just enjoyed my work? ? )  And we've done One Third Stories, which is a slow language learning kit in either French or Spanish. We definitely liked that.  It came with an activity book, story book, flashcards, and download link to the audio book.  Each month they'd cycle through some of the previous vocabulary in the story and add new.  The company is run by a pair of friends and every contact I had with them was fantastic.

But.......this year he's using an actual French program and I had to make the decision to spend $25/mo on that or much less on the program up front.  We still like the books, though.

There's another on Cratejoy that I considered for me.  They send you a book and wrapped packages each month.  The tags on each of the packages say something like "Open on page 143", and when you do, they are a physical representation of that part of the book.  I've done similar with my kids where I plan activities and gifts by the chapter as they go through something like My Side Of The Mountain, and I thought it was kinda cool that they do that for adults.

• Like 2

I'm thinking of getting a couple of subscription boxes for my adult children this year.   I'd love to know if there's a list of different types of boxes out there.   I have kids that would love the make-up/skincare ones or the snack ones.  I'm looking at one from Japan that has both options:

https://nomakenolife.com/gift/

One of my youtubers unpacked one and I thought it looked interesting.

I have the exact same issues, so i haven't done a subscription box. 

An alternative though is a beauty box from Target (if you're interested in skincare or haircare products). I usually can't find them in store, but they are avaliable online. They're only $7 and usually include a $x off a $y beauty purchase (something easily reached at Target). Plus the contents of the box are listed. There seems to be a new one every couple of months. 

I do Stitch Fix on a quarterly basis and I’ve kept everything, and I wear the clothes a lot. I think they have done a good job on me. Yes, they are a bit more expensive than I would really want to pay, but... a) I hate shopping; b) I am a terrible shopper, I don’t know what I like and i’m Afraid to try new things; c) I don’t get out much, so when I do shop for clothes I get them from Walmart or Costco and I get a little tired of that. I tend to “look cheap”. So, I don’t do it for the “surprise element”, but because I really need a personal shopper.