Menu

ebay selling - payment?

gardenmom5

is there an expectation by some buyers that you will send them an invoice and then they'll pay?  I know some sellers have said "wait for me to send an invoice". is there an advantage for the seller with an invoice?

I had one over the weekend... finally sent an invoice, then I got paid.  he has a high rating.   but another one today, no payment.  I'll send an invoice tomorrow along with the "I am ready to ship your item as soon as I receive payment." . . . . considering the person was in a bidding war with someone . . you'd think they'd have follow through.

I haven't ever had this problem.  But I realized that I choose the "Require Immediate Payment with Buy It Now" setting when creating the listing.
I, too, pay immediately when I'm the Buyer. 
But maybe these people are frequent Ebay Buyers & don't follow up unless reminded.
All I can say is that I'm constantly learning how to improve my Ebay Seller experience. ?

About half the people who buy things from me seem to pay before I even have a chance to send an invoice.  So clearly, they're not expecting an invoice!  But if they don't pay almost immediately, then I generally send out an invoice sometime on the day that it's sold.  If after two days they still haven't paid, I send the invoice again as a reminder.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, J-rap said:

About half the people who buy things from me seem to pay before I even have a chance to send an invoice.  So clearly, they're not expecting an invoice!  But if they don't pay almost immediately, then I generally send out an invoice sometime on the day that it's sold.  If after two days they still haven't paid, I send the invoice again as a reminder.

This is what I do.

A few years ago I purchased something and waited for the invoice because the shipping charge did not show up on my side.  I wasn't sure how much I needed to pay until I received the invoice. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Junie said:

This is what I do.

A few years ago I purchased something and waited for the invoice because the shipping charge did not show up on my side.  I wasn't sure how much I needed to pay until I received the invoice. 

I forgot about that!  Sometimes the shipping details aren't always clear up front so the invoice might be needed to know the exact cost.  For example, I recently sold two separate items to the same buyer.  I had to adjust the shipping since both items were going in the same box.

• Like 1

I had a flat fee for shipping.

I sent an invoice - we'll see.   the previous guy, was really fast once I sent the invoice.   last winter, I had one who was so late in paying - that ebay relisted it.  apparently there was something at her end, becasue the new auction was going, when she paid.   but I got my money - so I sent her the boots.  she was really excited to get them too.

I usually do a flat fee too.  I really haven't found a particular pattern with buyers though.  Everyone is different.  I've been selling more items in the past few months since I'm getting our home ready to sell!  About 1/12 people bid, end up being the top bidder, and then never pay at all.  That's super frustrating.  I do have some settings in place that are supposed to help with that, but you can't completely avoid it.