Menu

Chemistry Suggestions? Real Science Odyssey Chemistry?

JessBurs

I am starting to casually look through my book/curriculum options for next year and my older DD will be hitting chemistry (3rd grade). My younger DD will be doing the coursework with us (she will be 1st/2nd grade).

What have you found to be the best ways to teach chemistry in elementary school? Science was not one of my strongest subjects (though I did fine, I do not feel as confident in my teaching abilities in chemistry as I do in say, history), so I am looking for something pretty self-explanatory. Both DDs also love hands-on activities in all subjects (our homeschool days are filled with projects), but I do not want to spend a fortune creating my own chemistry lab.

With all that in mind, do you have any chemistry curriculum/books suggestions for us? I have one IRL friend who suggested Real Science Odyssey Chemistry, which definitely looks intriguing, so if you have any experience with that I would love to hear your impressions of it as well.

TIA

RSO Chemistry is a great choice for what you describe. It is hands on but gathering the materials isn't too hard, especially if you take the list and get them before you begin your year. It is fun but also focuses on the scientific method and being an investigator. It is a solid program for 3rd. Your little one will have fun taking part in the experiments even if she doesn't fully grasp what is happening (she might!) When we did that year I also read from Real Science 4 Kids Chemistry book to flesh out concepts. It was a good mash up ?

Edited by nixpix5

We are using Ellen McHenry's The Elements for chemistry this fall. It has been a hit for all of my kids, 5th, 2nd, and K. We are supplementing with Theodore Gray's The Elements, which is a pretty photo book with an entry for each element. It's not a full-year course, but it could be a fun supplement for a yearlong course. 

• Like 1

We did RSo chemistry and it’s perfect for what you are looking for.  The only part the kids didn’t like was making the element books (tonnes of cut and stick) but otherwise it was fun.

I would say my younger two didn’t retain a lot.  My oldest did though.  I wouldn’t expect much from youngest as he was only 5 but I was a little disappointed about my then 8 year old.  Although she is not good with retention in anything so it’s possibly just her learning style.

• 2 weeks later...