Menu

Robotics for elementary age kids?

madteaparty

DS did FLL and did well but wasn’t into it. Now my girl is really into robots, and with the age gap I just don’t know what’s out there that’s good for kids this age anymore. I recall for DS, before FLL we got a bunch of “brand new!” Fundraiser type products none of which worked very well ?I imagine the market has solidified what with all the STEM frenzy. What’s decent for this age?

I have Edison robots and Sphero, and I've taught classes using Ozobot, BeeBots, and Dot and Dash.

My favorites for long-term learning are Edison.   They can be programmed right out of the box using bar codes printed off the website, or they can be programmed using a variety of apps, including one based on Scratch and one based on Python. They have great lesson plans on the website as well (meetedison.com). 

Sphere can be done using a tablet like a remote, and Java based programming.  I haven't done as much programming with that one.

Ozobots were okay.

BeeBots and Dot and Dash I thought were very limited and more for really young kids.

I also briefly did Lego WeDo, but not for long at all.  Also thought that was mainly for really young kids and older kids with a strong interest would get bored fast.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

DS8 did Supercharged Science robotics and it was quite good in teaching him how to build working machines and work with electricity.  He used the lessons in that to build more with LittleBits and Snap Circuits, and springboarded into using Scratch with an Usborne book.
Right now he's using 4-H's Junk Drawer Robotics program, but I think next year we're going to take his older brother's advice and get him something like Raspberry Pi or the other thing he keeps talking about that I can never remember.  I think I see robotics as two different skills together: being able to build something to make it do what you want, and being able to program it with a coding language.  There is not a whole lot for little kids that does both so you may have to pick one skill over the other at first until they're old enough to do both together.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm off to check out Edison!

My dd had been love/hate working EEME.co (not .com) projects for about the last year - 3rd/4th. They aren't robots, but they are cool electronics projects and the guy running the program has been really responsive. He also has a robot available, but I've been holding off. I think you buy the basic kit, and then you can get add-on modules for different functions. I don't remember if there is programming involved.

On 10/27/2018 at 11:07 AM, SusanC said:

I'm off to check out Edison!

My dd had been love/hate working EEME.co (not .com) projects for about the last year - 3rd/4th. They aren't robots, but they are cool electronics projects and the guy running the program has been really responsive. He also has a robot available, but I've been holding off. I think you buy the basic kit, and then you can get add-on modules for different functions. I don't remember if there is programming involved.

We used to get these for DS and then stopped when I accumulated a pile of unopened envelopes, which were keeping the dusty raspberry pi company.

so remind me, are they fairly beginner friendly? We haven’t even done stuff like snap circuits, I gave DS’s sets away.

I, too, have learned the hard way that I need to shut these subscriptions down when they start to accumulate, before I get buried in sunk cost!

I used to try to help with these, but now she watches by herself and i just encourage her to stop if she gets angry (but she usually continues anyway.) If you are watching along with her, you all are unlikely to have any problems. Every so often she can't get it to work and then I/we step through the circuit to see where something is in the wrong spot.

If you have the board and battery pack still, you could try one out. You could bill it as "pre-robotics"?

• 2 weeks later...

I teach EV3 Robotics to kids 9 to 13.  Younger than that they like the building but lack the logic for programming interesting projects 

We use the block programming that comes with the EV3 and are working towards competing in a local robotics competition.

I found prior to creating a club my kids did not have much interest in the EV3.  It is the camaraderie and weekly meetup of the team that helps their progress and enjoyment.