Menu

Dr. Hive veterinarian...help please! UPDATE in 1st post

lexi

My dog started suddenly throwing up yesterday. She threw up multiple times and never ate anything all day. This morning she is still not herself. She is very lethargic and didn’t want to eat. I scrambled her an egg and that’s all she has wanted to eat. So far she’s kept it down. 

I could not figure out what was wrong with her until my husband mentioned he found a freshness packet on the floor. We think she ate part of it. 

It was a packet from inside a package of bacon bits. I had another package so I opened the packet and saw that it contains black powder. I’m thinking it’s iron dust. 

The vet is closed today so I’m calling other vets to try to get help. 

So, while I try to find one with an opening today, I need to know what to do. How bad is this? Does she need to be seen? Or should I just monitor her and feed her a bland diet for a few days? 

I don’t know what to do about her. I had no idea she had eaten that packet or I would have called the vet yesterday. My husband only mentioned it this morning. 

Oh and my dog is a tiny 7 pound Pomeranian. 

Update: I was able to get her an appointment with a local vet. I’ll leave in one hour. He agreed that it would be best to get her seen. 

Latest Update: everything checked out at the vet. Her numbers are ok and her x-ray was clear. He thinks that she’ll be ok since she threw up so many times. She has eaten today and kept it down. She is also drinking water. And she’s perked up quite a bit this afternoon. So we’re supposed to watch her over the weekend and see how she does. She really scared me!

Edited by lexi
  • Like 1

You could call a veterinary poison control hotline yourself.  They are generally very responsive and helpful.  There is a fee ($65 for the number below). This can quickly sort out if you have an emergency or if the substance is benign. 

Here is a link to the website for the number below: https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control

This is the ASPCA's poison control hotline number:  (888) 426-4435

Edited by Kebo

I would definitely talk to a vet asap because ingesting iron can be extremely toxic, especially to a small dog. Three of our dogs chewed open a Hot Hands hand warmer packet that had fallen out of someone's pocket and there was iron dust all over the floor. We weren't even sure if they had actually ingested any of the iron, but our vet made them throw up as a precaution. He said it was fortunate our dogs are big (60-100lbs) because it is a much worse scenario when a small dog ingests iron.

• Like 1

It sure won't hurt to call poison control and get their opinion, but if she were mine I'd want to have a vet check her out and I'd probably push for blood work to make sure everything.'s okay. Such a tiny dog--it really doesn't take much of something nasty to mess them up. And she may benefit from a Cerenia injection or something similar to help settle her tummy. Is she drinking, staying adequately hydrated?

Just now, Pawz4me said:

It sure won't hurt to call poison control and get their opinion, but if she were mine I'd want to have a vet check her out and I'd probably push for blood work to make sure everything.'s okay. Such a tiny dog--it really doesn't take much of something nasty to mess them up. And she may benefit from a Cerenia injection or something similar to help settle her tummy. Is she drinking, staying adequately hydrated?

I’m going to have the vet do a CBC. 

She is drinking a little. How can I get her to drink more?

• Like 1