Menu

Car revs and lurches forward

Janeway

I really am struggling with this. My 2010 Toyota Sienna has been revving and lurching forward while driving. It does not do it often. It can go a couple days with it not happening and then it will happen just once. I generally had to have been driving it a while when it does happen. I am going at low speeds. But it might happen at higher speeds. I am generally going at lower speeds as I drive A LOT around town. I am in the car most days from 2:40 until after 5pm. Today, around 5:30pm, as I was heading home, after near 3 hrs in the car, going about 30-40 mph, it revved and lurched forward again. It did not happen yesterday. My husband and I were out for several hours on Saturday and it happened once then, just once. I took it to a mechanic a couple weeks ago and they ran tests for hours and came up with nothing wrong at all. The minivan has almost 200K miles on it.  Someone at the car repair place suggested since they found nothing else wrong, the transmission is likely going on. But the guy who said that, I am thinking he maybe was not one of the mechanics, but not sure. My husband says it is probably time to replace the minivan. I dread dread dread buying another car. Referencing the other post, I am the one squeezing that last drop out of the tooth paste tube and then biting the end of the tooth paste tube to get even yet another drop. And I always add water to my shampoo bottles at the end to make it last longer. 

Has anyone ever had these problems before? Any advice from anyone?

Edited by Janeway

I think it has something to do with too much air getting into the engine.  Mine started to do this once in the parking lot at the shop where my brother works (it was still in park).  One of the other techs hadn't hooked a hose back up correctly.  Hose, gasket failure, intake manifold.  Something like that, I'm not the car person in the family, just the (very grateful) older sister of one.