Menu

Anyone down under planning for next year yet?

Ausmumof3

Am I the only one planning next year already?  As the kids are complaining about certain particular curriculum (looking at you spelling workout!)  I’m looking for alternatives and putting stuff in place

So far for grade 7 boys I have

IEW level b

Ellen McHenrys excavating English

possibly math mammoth grade 7 or I might still order Singapore

i don’t own yet but will definitely be doing Story of the World 3 with supplementary extra reading

We didn’t get to Rso Astronomy yet so that will go into next year.

I have typing tutor

I need something for Italian, and something for grammar.  I may use the 3rd grammar galaxy book even though it’s well below his level because he needs more grammar practice.

will be grade 5 girl

I’m thinking to of combining them in the IEW level b and just dumbing down the expectations a bit for her.  She’s pretty good at structure and style of writing though spelling and punctuation is another story.

either math mammoth 5 or Singapore.  Not totally sure.  

SOTW 3

picta dicta natural world latin

RSO earth and space 1 

We need something for grammar and spelling

Ds will be grade 2

Not sure on math - considering beast academy just because I’m so bored of Singapore and this kid could handle a challenge

apples and pears level b

do I need a writing program at this level?  I don’t have anything

Sonlight grade 2 readers

sotw 3

RSO earth and space 1

need something for Italian

what am I missing? (Other than capital letters - I’m lazy typing on my phone!)

logic? Critical thinking.  We kept missing this and only made it halfway through building critical thinking skills 1.  Should I keep going with this or jump to the next level?  I guess I should be starting it with dd as well.

• Like 2

I have been planning and ordering

so far this is what  I  have planned

ds15 profoundly dyslexic

IEW B    continuation       

AAS  we are about 1 /3 through book 6 and will continue and hope to finish book 7 by the end of next year      

Grammar for the well trained mind 

Vocab from classical roots  

Logic Possibly     balance benders form Critical thinking

Saxon math we hope to finish algebra ½ this year then start algebra 1 next year    

Science- Apologia Human Body  

History Usborne Internet linked history

Some sort of computer programming course or coding

Literature list – some will be abridged because of his Profound Dyslexia

Don Quixote

Gulliver’s Travels

Robinson Crusoe

Legend of Sleepy Hollow

Adventures of Tom Sawyer

20000 Leagues under the sea

Around the World in 80 Days

The Sign of the Beaver

Dickens Collection

Germ Hunter

Race you Henry Ford

He also has just been offered a job one day a week for the rest of this year then possibly 3 days a week next year. We are embracing this opportunity as he is pretty resistant to academics and has become a bit of a recluse.

• Like 2

Twins currently 7 but will be 8 beginning of next year- very delayed with multiple conditions including ID – very possibly FASD

This list is huge – but we have to move so  slowly through curriculum that I need multiple books at the same level so when they finish one book they can move sideways into another book of the same level- so they think they are advancing.

The list is very similar to what we are currently doing

Reading and phonics

AAR finish 1 and start 2

Fitzroy readers

Jolly Phonics- just the workbooks for reinforcement

Books from Usborne reading library

Abeka Phonics _ just so one  twin  can do something simple independently  while the other twin reads to me

Literature with narration

– I will record the narration and they will illustrate it

List will include

Don Quixote

Gulliver’s travels

The Pied Piper of Hamelin

Grimm’s Fairy Tales

East of the Sun and West of the Moon

Plus the Yellow box of Usborne Reading Collection

Some Sciencey type fact

Spelling

Introduce AAS – not sure how this will go as one twin cannot recall his alphabet – even though he can read. (Strange I know but this is one possible indicator of FASD)

Grammar

First Language Lessons book 2

Writing and Penmanship

Finish penmanship and continue on with copywork from Homeschool Downunder

Writing With Ease 1

WriteShop B ( because they need busywork)

Math

Continue Saxon Math then start Saxon 2 sometime in the middle of next year.  ( same twins cannot remember his numbers. He can use numbers, count , add exc. But cannot recall what each number looks like)

History

SOTW 3

Science

– Still planning science for next year – this is their strong area, but I need very visual lap book style for the one twin to grasp it.

Music

We have just started Enrichment Studies and it will continue for most of next year

Art

Still planning this

49 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Twins currently 7 but will be 8 beginning of next year- very delayed with multiple conditions including ID – very possibly FASD

This list is huge – but we have to move so  slowly through curriculum that I need multiple books at the same level so when they finish one book they can move sideways into another book of the same level- so they think they are advancing.

The list is very similar to what we are currently doing

Reading and phonics

AAR finish 1 and start 2

Fitzroy readers

Jolly Phonics- just the workbooks for reinforcement

Books from Usborne reading library

Abeka Phonics _ just so one  twin  can do something simple independently  while the other twin reads to me

Literature with narration

– I will record the narration and they will illustrate it

List will include

Don Quixote

Gulliver’s travels

The Pied Piper of Hamelin

Grimm’s Fairy Tales

East of the Sun and West of the Moon

Plus the Yellow box of Usborne Reading Collection

Some Sciencey type fact

Spelling

Introduce AAS – not sure how this will go as one twin cannot recall his alphabet – even though he can read. (Strange I know but this is one possible indicator of FASD)

Grammar

First Language Lessons book 2

Writing and Penmanship

Finish penmanship and continue on with copywork from Homeschool Downunder

Writing With Ease 1

WriteShop B ( because they need busywork)

Math

Continue Saxon Math then start Saxon 2 sometime in the middle of next year.  ( same twins cannot remember his numbers. He can use numbers, count , add exc. But cannot recall what each number looks like)

History

SOTW 3

Science

– Still planning science for next year – this is their strong area, but I need very visual lap book style for the one twin to grasp it.

Music

We have just started Enrichment Studies and it will continue for most of next year

Art

Still planning this

Wow that’s looking very thorough.

what is vocab from classic roots like?  I’m considering using it instead of spelling for my oldest.  His spelling is not terrible but I’m not quite ready to let him give up any kind of word and word structure study.

thats looking like a pretty solid literature list for the twins!  Do you have some good abridged versions or can you do the full thing?  Either way it sounds impressive.

The literature list for twins will be mostly drawn from the Usborne reader series. I find the abridged books with illustrations on every page a great introduction to the great books.

They will mostly be beyond the twins reading level so I will read them aloud. Their concentration is not up to listening to the full thing yet. Though they do great with audio books in the car

vocab from the classical roots is not something that ds15 is keen on at all. We do it orally together. I like it. I think you can see sample pages online. I am away from my computer for a few days and don’t know how to post a link. Schoolspecialty.com has sample pages

• Like 1

We're just about finished SOTW2! After how many years? I tell you, that's going to feel like an achievement!

Otherwise, we're continuing on with the same things, as best we can, and trying to add in more woodwork projects where possible. She's decided to do her carpentry apprenticeship at Parliament House, so she's going to have to have some skills to impress them with. I reckon they must get a lot of applicants.

1 hour ago, Rosie_0801 said:

We're just about finished SOTW2! After how many years? I tell you, that's going to feel like an achievement!

Otherwise, we're continuing on with the same things, as best we can, and trying to add in more woodwork projects where possible. She's decided to do her carpentry apprenticeship at Parliament House, so she's going to have to have some skills to impress them with. I reckon they must get a lot of applicants.

Way to go!  We’re still on 2 so you’re ahead of us!  We breezed through 1 but there’s so much good stuff I don’t mind taking longer and doing more activities and extra reading.  We’re only going to get two history cycles in anyway other than maybe youngest.

im still on the hunt for some good Australian history resources.  Think I’m just going to start a booklist of everything we’ve found that’s good to share when we’re done.  

Carpentry apprenticeship.  That sounds like a good solid career goal!  My dd still wants to be an animal rescuer.  She just has to figure out how to get someone to pay her to do it ?

We're not in Australia, but we are going to be finished with our school year in late December, so I guess we are on the Australian schedule.  I'm going crazy trying to decide what to do next and when to start.  We ended up using boxed curricula this year (due to serious burn-out), but I'm feeling better.  So, I think I'm going to go back to putting everything together myself.  I think we might do a year of unit studies again, but I'm not quite sure how that's going to look for my oldest (who will be a senior).  I want her last year of high school to be fun, not checking off the boxes to make other people happy.

• Like 2

On 10/18/2018 at 9:17 PM, Rosie_0801 said:

Say what?! Need to hear more about this please Rosie! ?

I've started planning in the sense that I have some vague ideas floating around, some of them I've even noted down in my bullet journal! This year and next have been stupidly busy, we're still midway through building our house so I'm a part time project manager/nagging wife...

Mainly, oldest to be more independent (she'll be in 8th) though I am slightly freaking out about running out of time with my girl. ? She'll probably be excused from most of morning time from next year, then I can give it a younger focus for my little boys. Get my youngest reading! Ugh, have to register him with the new stupid learning plan stupidity. Sorry, I'm sick and cranky lol.

I want to make next year an entrepreneur year, kids set up a micro business.

And I want to start a science fair for my region.

Someone also just asked me to start a choir. 

We'll hopefully maybe FINALLY finish a history cycle - mid 1700s to modern. At least dd will independently so she can do another cycle in 9th-12th.

Most of the actual books/curricula will continue.

13 minutes ago, LMD said:

Say what?! Need to hear more about this please Rosie! ?

Okay, so she's only 11 and won't even be allowed to take woodwork classes in high school, but she has carpentry mates willing to teach her. She built her first work bench (with instruction from those mates) last school holidays, repaired a sawhorse this past weekend and will repair the other one next fortnight.

We didn't even know they ran apprenticeships at Parliament House, but they do and she's decided she's going to be one of them. She got positive reactions from those she spoke to there, even if it did come with a hesitant "Um, you don't look quite old enough yet?" Ha ha. She had her photo taken with some of the technical drawings too, because she think she can learn that as well. 

5 minutes ago, LMD said:

I want to make next year an entrepreneur year, kids set up a micro business.

Well, if you want to get in on the fun and start a small business of your own, you might try the Global Sisters online course. They're not perfect, but they're more use than the Small Business bus.

3 hours ago, Rosie_0801 said:

Okay, so she's only 11 and won't even be allowed to take woodwork classes in high school, but she has carpentry mates willing to teach her. She built her first work bench (with instruction from those mates) last school holidays, repaired a sawhorse this past weekend and will repair the other one next fortnight.

We didn't even know they ran apprenticeships at Parliament House, but they do and she's decided she's going to be one of them. She got positive reactions from those she spoke to there, even if it did come with a hesitant "Um, you don't look quite old enough yet?" Ha ha. She had her photo taken with some of the technical drawings too, because she think she can learn that as well. 

Well, if you want to get in on the fun and start a small business of your own, you might try the Global Sisters online course. They're not perfect, but they're more use than the Small Business bus.

I have an 11 year old who would get along with your 11 year old very well! Sounds like a fabulous opportunity for her! Don't suppose there's a link to the info?  We're waiting a couple of years and then my current 11 year old will probably do a part time metal work apprenticeship with his grandfather.

Thanks for the info, will look into it!

I'm in QLD and currently working on this year's report and the required plan for 2019 for our authorities here.

I love planning but I make a big emphasis that the plans I provide are 'possibilities' and 'will be altered to meet the evolving needs of my daughter'. So, in other words, this is what we *might* do:

My daughter is 12.

ENGLISH:

Writing: Essay writing, Persuasive writing, creative writing, study skills (note taking, summarising, writing exam-style answers)

Reading: for pleasure (her choice) and read-alouds together (my choice from lists such as Mensa reading lists)

MATHS:

Essential Mathematical Methods Year 11 - continue

Maths Quest Year 11 Maths B - continue

Art of Problem Solving - when she's in the right mood 

Logic - Brilliant.org

Finance - ASX Stockmarket Game

SCIENCES:

Biology: Mapping the Body with Art - continue (Tissues, organs, systems); Protozoa (Ellen McHenry); Virology (Khan Academy to begin with); study of the eye

Chemistry: Pascal Press Yr 11 Chemistry, supported by Zumdahl text; repeating Life of Fred Chemistry

Physics: Interpreting Data in Physics, supported by College Physics by Knight; Physics of Crime (brilliant.org); optics (link to biology and hopefully do an eye dissection)

Earth sciences: Rocks and Dirt by Ellen McHenry

Integrated study: Forensic Science (too many possible resources to list here, but I'm happy to share if anyone wants to know)

SOSE:

History:  Ancient Asia - Great Courses, Khan Academy, library books

Indigenous studies: Rabbit Proof Fence

World Religions: Great Courses

Civics: Different types of government systems; Australian law - types, how they are made, some recent ones (not sure yet where to source this info)

Economics: Business structures, consumer rights, researching an entrepreneur 

THE ARTS:

Music: piano lessons, cello lessons, music collaboration, attend orchestra performances; study of Beethoven (Great Course + related piano and cello pieces)

Art: not our forte....I'll aim for an artist study + having a go at techniques; Art that Changed the World (DK book)

Drama: Media projects with her sister - costuming, scriptwriting, filming, editing

LOTE:

Korean - continue progression through Talk to Me in Korean resources; hopefully she'll agree to some group classes to get talking with others

TECHNOLOGIES:

Digital technologies: Hopefully we'll do something...also not our forte. Maybe create a webpage to link to her Etsy store

Design technologies: Crochet, crochet, crochet for textiles. A project related to the ethics of different yarns. Continue running her Etsy shop.

Materials and design: Biomimicry - research project (I haven't sourced resources yet)

HEALTH AND PE

Health: Alcohol and drugs: persuasive essay re medical marijuana; Nutrition: different cultural perspectives including Indigenous 

PE: regular exercise, hoping to get her rockclimbing

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LMD said:

I have an 11 year old who would get along with your 11 year old very well! Sounds like a fabulous opportunity for her! Don't suppose there's a link to the info?  We're waiting a couple of years and then my current 11 year old will probably do a part time metal work apprenticeship with his grandfather.

Thanks for the info, will look into it!

I haven't dug through their website. We picked up a pamphlet.

That's a great opportunity for your 11 yo. ❤️

On 10/17/2018 at 12:43 PM, Ausmumof3 said:

Am I the only one planning next year already?  As the kids are complaining about certain particular curriculum (looking at you spelling workout!)  I’m looking for alternatives and putting stuff in place

So far for grade 7 boys I have

IEW level b

Ellen McHenrys excavating English

possibly math mammoth grade 7 or I might still order Singapore

i don’t own yet but will definitely be doing Story of the World 3 with supplementary extra reading

We didn’t get to Rso Astronomy yet so that will go into next year.

I have typing tutor

I need something for Italian, and something for grammar.  I may use the 3rd grammar galaxy book even though it’s well below his level because he needs more grammar practice.

will be grade 5 girl

I’m thinking to of combining them in the IEW level b and just dumbing down the expectations a bit for her.  She’s pretty good at structure and style of writing though spelling and punctuation is another story.

either math mammoth 5 or Singapore.  Not totally sure.  

SOTW 3

picta dicta natural world latin

RSO earth and space 1 

We need something for grammar and spelling

Ds will be grade 2

Not sure on math - considering beast academy just because I’m so bored of Singapore and this kid could handle a challenge

apples and pears level b

do I need a writing program at this level?  I don’t have anything

Sonlight grade 2 readers

sotw 3

RSO earth and space 1

need something for Italian

what am I missing? (Other than capital letters - I’m lazy typing on my phone!)

logic? Critical thinking.  We kept missing this and only made it halfway through building critical thinking skills 1.  Should I keep going with this or jump to the next level?  I guess I should be starting it with dd as well.

We've worked through Excavating English twice now. It's so interesting! We only recently finished our second go through and we took some great detours, including learning more about linguistics and also doing linguistics puzzles/challenges:

https://lingclub.mycpanel.princeton.edu/challenge/puzzles.php

We now plan to follow on from Excavating English by using Great Courses The Story of Human Language.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Rosie_0801 said:

We're reading through Excavating English too, not doing many of the activities. It's fun though. 

Thanks for that link. I wonder if dd will enjoy them.

Same as you, we skipped many of the activities. Some of it seemed a bit too much like busywork. But the content - loved it!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Rosie_0801 said:

It sure sends you down some Youtube rabbit holes, doesn't it?

That describes our education style, really. Not Youtube specifically, as my daughter has a mental block on watching videos, but the follow-your-nose style of learning. Those 'plans' that I have to create for the authorities are fun to put together and they provide a good framework, but our best learning happens when we head down those rabbit holes.

Just recently, my daughter asked over dinner if Russia had a royal family, so now we're reading about the Romanovs and the Russian revolution and we've taken detours to learn about haemophilia, Rasputin, Tolstoy, Lenin, communism, autocracy etc etc etc. Although all of this doesn't appear in my plan for 2018, I always document it all, so it's in my records for 2018. 

I don't know what hoops you all have to jump through in your states, but one thing I do each year is include a couple of full-day write ups in my report for our authorities here. I give a blow-by-blow account of how a whole day unfolds, to try to demonstrate how our weird balance of plans + rabbit holes seems to work well for us ? 

Edited by chocolate-chip chooky
  • Like 1