Menu

I need a backpack with a rigid laptop pocket

Suzanne in ABQ

My 13yodd is required to take a laptop to school.  Her backpack (large Lands' End) is generally stuffed and very heavy.  Her 2 month old laptop's screen went black this week.  It's under warranty, so it's getting fixed, but we're thinking that maybe it is getting squished, possibly flexed, and possibly bounced around in her backpack during the course of the day.

I would like to find her a backpack with a rigid pocket for the laptop, that will keep it from getting squished and flexed, with possibly extra padding at the bottom for when she sets the backpack on the ground too hard (it's vey heavy), though we could add padding, if there's room for it.  A good, wide waist strap would be nice as well, to keep the weight off her shoulders.

Does such a thing exist?  All the laptop backpacks I see offer padded pockets for the laptop, but they're not rigid.  And if they have any waist strap, it's just a little 1-inch nylon strap, not enough to carry the weight comfortably.

Edited by Suzanne in ABQ

15 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

I got this one for ds.  it's wheeled.  there's a flap that folds down to cover the wheels if you're using it as a backpack.

I have exactly that one. It’s painful as a backpack but lovely as a roller backpack to the library. The padding isn't great but both my kids 15” laptops are still surviving after three years of being bump around in that backpack. I put both laptops into the laptop compartment.

41 minutes ago, Suzanne in ABQ said:

A good, wide waist strap would be nice as well, to keep the weight off her shoulders.

Does such a thing exist?  All the laptop backpacks I see offer padded pockets for the laptop, but they're not rigid.  And if they have any waist strap, it's just a little 1-inch nylon strap, not enough to carry the weight comfortably.

The ones with waist strap tends to be hiking backpacks. 

For a rigid laptop compartment, Pelican has one but their main compartment won’t be able to carry many books/binders. Something like this https://www.amazon.com/Pelican-Elite-Backpack-Laptop-Storage/dp/B008K4PGX4

We are getting laptop sleeves for our boys new 13” laptops instead as its “swimming” in the 15” laptop compartment of their backpacks. (ETA: something like this https://www.amazon.com/Pelican-1085-Laptop-Case-Black/dp/B006C21MCU/)

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

I got this one for ds.  it's wheeled.  there's a flap that folds down to cover the wheels if you're using it as a backpack.

I forgot to say that wheels won't work on her campus due to uneven terrain.  And, I'd like to avoid the weight added by the wheels and handle.  Thanks, though.  

12 hours ago, Arcadia said:

I have exactly that one. It’s painful as a backpack but lovely as a roller backpack to the library. The padding isn't great but both my kids 15” laptops are still surviving after three years of being bump around in that backpack. I put both laptops into the laptop compartment.

The ones with waist strap tends to be hiking backpacks. 

For a rigid laptop compartment, Pelican has one but their main compartment won’t be able to carry many books/binders. Something like this https://www.amazon.com/Pelican-Elite-Backpack-Laptop-Storage/dp/B008K4PGX4

We are getting laptop sleeves for our boys new 13” laptops instead as its “swimming” in the 15” laptop compartment of their backpacks. (ETA: something like this https://www.amazon.com/Pelican-1085-Laptop-Case-Black/dp/B006C21MCU/)

I like that Pelican Elite, but you're right.  It would not hold all her books.

Perhaps I can find a rigid case, like an Otter Box or something like it, that will still fit in her backpack (or a small hiking backpack).  

More ideas welcome!  Thanks.

39 minutes ago, Suzanne in ABQ said:

Perhaps I can find a rigid case, like an Otter Box or something like it, that will still fit in her backpack (or a small hiking backpack).  

The Pelican cases are hard rigid, the Thule cases are soft rigid.  I have seen them at Best Buy. I have experience with Pelican hard rigid camera cases but no experience with Thule. 

For a makeshift solution, put a piece of sponge at the bottom of the laptop compartment. Make a laptop sleeve out of bubble wrap. If there is a velcro strap for the laptop compartment of her backpack, make sure it’s strap snug. That reduces movement.

32 minutes ago, Suzanne in ABQ said:

More ideas welcome!  Thanks.

This.

Protectors for laptop itself —

how big is her laptop?

and if she can manage it, perhaps a separate case for the laptop that she would carry in one hand?

I used rigid foam inside a laptop case to add protection, and soft foam could also be used. 

Might this be a situation where a small pad type of computer would work better if allowed? 

What are the laptops at school being used for?

What are other kids at her school doing/using?

At my son’s school they can borrow a computer when needed at school and are only required to carry a flash drive to transfer files to/from home

The backpacks already seem unhealthy heavy weight without adding laptop.  

Are you sure wheels wont work? There are wheeled cases meant to do stairs (which I have not personally used). I have successfully used a wheeled Targus laptop case on very uneven ground.  

Mine was less expensive and less full featured than this one below, but I cannot find link to mine. Possibly mine is not made now:

Targus Mobile ViP 4-Wheeled Business and Overnight Rolling Case for 15.6-Inch Laptops, Black (TBR022)
  1. 31UkGPt2ZhL._AC_SY400_.jpg
  3. 51qBfQe0ycL._AC_SY200_.jpg

25 minutes ago, WendyAndMilo said:

Try looking into the Alienware backpacks.  The entire backpack is very stiff so no stuffing is possible.

My kid squashed this model in a Frys Electronics store so we decided not to buy. We were thinking of getting it for my ipad pro 12.9” https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LDIFZ6Q/

I have a Tumi backpack (https://www.amazon.com/Tumi-Alpha-T-Pass-Business-Class/dp/B076DN3B6C) which is very stiff and great for airport TSA. The main compartment can only hold two thin binders and one or two textbooks though. 

This looks like one I might get next time we need a new backpack.  Looks like computer may still need extra padding, and care with setting the pack down gently, but it at least gets a separate compartment away from books. 

Extra Large Backpack, Durable
Lightweight Travel Laptop Bag with Computer Compartment and Usb Charging Port/Headphone Hole,TSA Friendly Business Backpacks for Men & Women Holds 17 inch Laptops,Blue …
  1. 51gph0ydkNL._AC_SY400_.jpg

7 hours ago, Pen said:

Great questions!  Thanks!  I've put my answers in Bold type.

7 hours ago, Pen said:

This.

how big is her laptop? 15 inch, super thin, ASUS

and if she can manage it, perhaps a separate case for the laptop that she would carry in one hand?  Yes, I might have to go with this, though she really doesn't want something separate to carry, and I'm afraid she might walk away and forget it (or it might "walk away" by itself.

I used rigid foam inside a laptop case to add protection, and soft foam could also be used.  The computer is so thin, I think it might be flexing "around" the books, so I'm thinking rigid, like hard plastic, Kevlar, or something like that.

Might this be a situation where a small pad type of computer would work better if allowed?  Chrome books, iPads, and the likes aren't allowed.  It must be a "real" computer on which software can be loaded.

What are the laptops at school being used for?  Everything.  Most of the classes incorporate them during class.  It's a one-to-one situation, where every kid has their own computer.

What are other kids at her school doing/using? Everyone seems to just keep them in their backpacks. But I haven't paid attention to whether they have special ones.

At my son’s school they can borrow a computer when needed at school and are only required to carry a flash drive to transfer files to/from home.  They do have a couple computer labs, and there are PCs here and there, but not one for every kid in every class.  For in-class computer use, she must have her own.

The backpacks already seem unhealthy heavy weight without adding laptop.  I agree.  They do have large lockers, thank goodness (many schools have eliminated lockers).  So she doesn't have to carry everything all day, but her backpack is quite stuffed every day, and she is highly resistant to carrying a second bag.

Are you sure wheels wont work? There are wheeled cases meant to do stairs (which I have not personally used). I have successfully used a wheeled Targus laptop case on very uneven ground.  One friend has a rolling backpack, and she hates it because of the terrain at school.  There are lots of large trees with exposed roots, uneven brick walks that haven't been fixed yet, elevation changes, stairs, etc).  And the campus is quite large and spread out.  I asked dd about using a rolling case, and she said, emphatically, "No wheels!  Floreta has a wheeled backpack, and she hates it!"  

Soooo...  

I'll look at the Targus case you suggested.  I appreciate it.

8 hours ago, sgo95 said:

Our local schools issue devices to every kid along with a separate carrying case.  They're not allowed to put their devices in their backpacks.  Would that work for your DD?

It would, but she doesn't want to carry anything separately.  I'm afraid she'll leave it somewhere, or it will walk away.  We may need to do that, though.  Thanks.

15 minutes ago, Suzanne in ABQ said:

how big is her laptop? 15 inch, super thin, ASUS

Try searching for hard shell cases for 15” asus. 

If none specific for that there are a lot for 15” Macs 

Try searching for 15” hard shell case asus    I know there are a lot for macs  

and if she can manage it, perhaps a separate case for the laptop that she would carry in one hand?  Yes, I might have to go with this, though she really doesn't want something separate to carry, and I'm afraid she might walk away and forget it (or it might "walk away" by itself.

Then maybe a pack woth separate laptop laptop compartment at least. 

I used rigid foam inside a laptop case to add protection, and soft foam could also be used.  The computer is so thin, I think it might be flexing "around" the books, so I'm thinking rigid, like hard plastic, Kevlar, or something like that.

Kevlar might not be rigid?  But a rigid case makes sense. A large rigid clipboard at the end of book compartment closest to laptop might also help. So that there aren’t nearby small books to deflect around.

And also learning to use care, far more than kids usually give to their bookbags. No dumping it down. Only setting gently etc. 

Might this be a situation where a small pad type of computer would work better if allowed?  Chrome books, iPads, and the likes aren't allowed.  It must be a "real" computer on which software can be loaded.

What are the laptops at school being used for?  Everything.  Most of the classes incorporate them during class.  It's a one-to-one situation, where every kid has their own computer.

Then then she needs it fast and easy to get at, so bubble wrap etc won’t do because too hard to get in place over and over 

What are other kids at her school doing/using? Everyone seems to just keep them in their backpacks. But I haven't paid attention to whether they have special ones.

While her her laptop is being repaired see if anyone at school can give ideas. 

At my son’s school they can borrow a computer when needed at school and are only required to carry a flash drive to transfer files to/from home.  They do have a couple computer labs, and there are PCs here and there, but not one for every kid in every class.  For in-class computer use, she must have her own.

The backpacks already seem unhealthy heavy weight without adding laptop.  I agree.  They do have large lockers, thank goodness (many schools have eliminated lockers).  So she doesn't have to carry everything all day, but her backpack is quite stuffed every day, and she is highly resistant to carrying a second bag.

Are you sure wheels wont work? There are wheeled cases meant to do stairs (which I have not personally used). I have successfully used a wheeled Targus laptop case on very uneven ground.  One friend has a rolling backpack, and she hates it because of the terrain at school.  There are lots of large trees with exposed roots, uneven brick walks that haven't been fixed yet, elevation changes, stairs, etc).  And the campus is quite large and spread out.  I asked dd about using a rolling case, and she said, emphatically, "No wheels!  Floreta has a wheeled backpack, and she hates it!"  

Soooo...  

I'll look at the Targus case you suggested.  I appreciate it.

The Targus is the wheeled one, but they do make backpacks too  

The Yorepek (with blue) looks like it has more book room separated from computer. 

15 minutes ago, Pen said:

Try searching for hard shell cases for 15” asus. 

If none specific for that there are a lot for 15” Macs 

I'll look.

Then maybe a pack woth separate laptop laptop compartment at least.  Yes, the Yorepek cases have this feature.

Kevlar might not be rigid?  But a rigid case makes sense. A large rigid clipboard at the end of book compartment closest to laptop might also help. So that there aren’t nearby small books to deflect around.   Yes!  A clipboard (perhaps with the clip removed) would be perfect.

And also learning to use care, far more than kids usually give to their bookbags. No dumping it down. Only setting gently etc.   I think that being without it for several weeks while it is out for repair will teach her this.  She's having to lug around an ancient, clunky, slow HP laptop now.  She is gaining new appreciation for her ASUS.

Then then she needs it fast and easy to get at, so bubble wrap etc won’t do because too hard to get in place over and over   Yeah.

While her her laptop is being repaired see if anyone at school can give ideas.  I'll have her talk to her friends, and look around at what the other kids have (especially the older kids).

The Targus is the wheeled one, but they do make backpacks too  I looked, but I didn't see any that would suit for her other needs (mainly a large main compartment, pockets for school supplies, etc.)

The Yorepek (with blue) looks like it has more book room separated from computer.  I like the Yorepeks best, but this particular model is meant for travel, so it doesn't have the pockets for pens, calculator, etc.  They have another model with a huge main compartment, as well as the specific school friendly compartments.  I think we'll go with that, and I'll slip a clipboard in so separate the books from the laptop.

Thank you for all your help!

2 hours ago, Pen said:

This looks like one I might get next time we need a new backpack.  Looks like computer may still need extra padding, and care with setting the pack down gently, but it at least gets a separate compartment away from books. 

Extra Large Backpack, Durable
Lightweight Travel Laptop Bag with Computer Compartment and Usb Charging Port/Headphone Hole,TSA Friendly Business Backpacks for Men & Women Holds 17 inch Laptops,Blue …
  1. 51gph0ydkNL._AC_SY400_.jpg

I looked at the Yorepek website, and I really like the School model.  Like you said, at least the computer pocket is separate from the main compartment.  Perhaps we could even slide something rigid down in there between the computer and the books (Pen suggested a clipboard), to keep the computer from wrapping around the books, and put some foam down in the bottom of the pocket to prevent jarring when she sets it down on hard surfaces.  The main compartment is large enough to hold her books, a rare feature in laptop backpacks.  I think I'll get her This One.  

https://www.amazon.com/Backpack-Charging-Friendly-Resistant-Business/dp/B071ZYHCM6?ref_=bl_dp_s_mapp_17509208011

4 minutes ago, Suzanne in ABQ said:

I looked at the Yorepek website, and I really like the School model.  Like you said, at least the computer pocket is separate from the main compartment.  Perhaps we could even slide something rigid down in there between the computer and the books (Pen suggested a clipboard), to keep the computer from wrapping around the books, and put some foam down in the bottom of the pocket to prevent jarring when she sets it down on hard surfaces.  The main compartment is large enough to hold her books, a rare feature in laptop backpacks.  I think I'll get her This One.  

https://www.amazon.com/Backpack-Charging-Friendly-Resistant-Business/dp/B071ZYHCM6?ref_=bl_dp_s_mapp_17509208011

I think it is the same one as I had linked above just in black/red rather than blue.  

Maybe this thing below could further protect the laptop within the backpack  — making books flopping around and setting it down with a 13yo typical lack of care,even if trying her best, less likely to cause damage:

Protective Laptop Case Computer Sleeve: 14 - 15 Inch Laptops Carrying Cover for New Apple Macbook Pro, Microsoft Surface or Chromebook - Padded, Waterproof and Shockproof Hard Lap Top Cases – Black

1. 51w%2BY3trqhL._AC_SY400_.jpg
  2. 41UbpcoI1TL._AC_SY400_.jpg
  3. 41QdG7V2YhL._AC_SY400_.jpg
  4. 51oQkkPbotL._AC_SY200_.jpg
  5. 51cTBoZipaL._AC_SY200_.jpg
  6. 51nDRdeFVVL._AC_SY200_.jpg
  7. 510vlofc39L._AC_SY200_.jpg
  •  

11 minutes ago, Pen said:

I think it is the same one as I had linked above just in black/red rather than blue.  It's close, but not the same.  The one in your picture was a Travel Laptop Backpack, while this one is for School/College.  It's mostly the same, but doesn't have the large, contrasting color, only small colored accents.

Maybe this thing below could further protect the laptop within the backpack  — making books flopping around and setting it down with a 13yo typical lack of care,even if trying her best, less likely to cause damage:

Protective Laptop Case Computer Sleeve: 14 - 15 Inch Laptops Carrying Cover for New Apple Macbook Pro, Microsoft Surface or Chromebook - Padded, Waterproof and Shockproof Hard Lap Top Cases – Black

Ooo, I really like that sleeve.  I'll need to measure her computer to make sure it fits, since they don't list it in the description.  And, you're right.  She does try to be careful, but at 13, she may not be as careful as she thinks she's being.  She has the computer in a wrap-around case, but it may not prevent bending.

5 minutes ago, Suzanne in ABQ said:

Ooo, I really like that sleeve.  I'll need to measure her computer to make sure it fits, since they don't list it in the description.  And, you're right.  She does try to be careful, but at 13, she may not be as careful as she thinks she's being.  She has the computer in a wrap-around case, but it may not prevent bending.

I kind of think you need a multiprong approach. Anti-bending, anti-shock, anti-loss...

But the solution may then last through high school and maybe beyond. 

32 minutes ago, Pen said:

I kind of think you need a multiprong approach. Anti-bending, anti-shock, anti-loss...

But the solution may then last through high school and maybe beyond. 

I think you're right.  Thank you for working through this with me!

Oh, and you're right about both backpacks being the same.  Thanks for that.

Edited by Suzanne in ABQ
  • Like 1