Menu

Will Florence Swamp my Sister?

JFSinIL2.0

Kid sister moved just a few months ago from S. Calif. to just s/e of Raleigh, NC.  Has a creek running about 20 feet from the back of her new house, down a 40-ft gully.  Earthquakes, fires...those we are used to.  Hurricanes...not so much.  Is she inland enough in Clayton to be ok?  

Ps this is JFSinIL with over 10,000 posts but new boards still do not let me post unless I use this new 2.0 i.d. And use my iPad, which I dislike typing on.  Hence my lack of a voice here since new boards went up.

She should keep her eyes on the local news and sign up on the city's website for emergency notifications.  However, it looks, from NC's Emergency Management facebook page,  like she will just receive Tropical Storm force winds there, which may knock out power.  She should prepare for that.  As far as if she will get flooded, is she on high ground?  Does she know if she is in a flood zone?  Expect ridiculous amounts of rain and prepare accordingly.

By the way, in big events like this, power can take many days to come back on, and if flooding in the area is really bad, it can affect the water treatment plants, so they may advise no flushing and there may be no clean drinking water.  So prepare for that. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JFSinIL2.0 said:

Kid sister moved just a few months ago from S. Calif. to just s/e of Raleigh, NC.  Has a creek running about 20 feet from the back of her new house, down a 40-ft gully.  Earthquakes, fires...those we are used to.  Hurricanes...not so much.  Is she inland enough in Clayton to be ok?  

Ps this is JFSinIL with over 10,000 posts but new boards still do not let me post unless I use this new 2.0 i.d. And use my iPad, which I dislike typing on.  Hence my lack of a voice here since new boards went up.

I don't know about your sister's area but I wanted to ask if you asked for help getting back in to your original ID.....

5 hours ago, JFSinIL2.0 said:

Hopefully more people who know the area will answer but I too wanted to respond to the quoted part. I wouldn't have noticed your post count if you hadn't added the PS. I just saw JFSinIL and didn't see the 2.0, so I recognized you right away.

• Like 1

It really depends on how much rain she gets and how many other little creeks and storm drains feed into the one behind her. Unfortunately, usually the only way to figure out what a creek like that can handle is to go through several big weather events.

ETA: We have what is usually a dry creek bed near our house but it has been a raging torrent during a really heavy rain. All the neighborhood runoff funnels down into it. It’s a big worry for us with Florence (along with trees potentially coming down). 

Edited by Pawz4me