Menu

3rd Grade Lesson Plans

kroman

Help!  I'm going to pull my gifted 8yr old from the public school (for a variety of reasons that just developed when school started), and I need help developing weekly lesson plans.  I don't even know what one would look like!  ugh.  

I am familiar with the 4th Ed. book (many pages tabbed and underlined), and I'm considering enrolling in the Beast Academy for Math.  I also have the Worksheets that help guide the resources for each subject, but have no experience teaching:  how does one get started/organized from week to week?  Page 264 of the book gives me an idea of the amount of time each day, but I need more detailed help.  It seems daunting and thus, I'm worried about my child's level of enthusiasm and interest.  

Does anyone have a 3rd Grade Planner figured out?  Lesson Plans?  I'm treading water.  Thank you.  

• Like 1

Your lesson plans are whatever you decide to complete for any given subject on any given day.  My 3rd grader's plans are uniquely hers even though she is my 8th 3rd grader to teach.  None of my kids has ever completed a grade the same way.

As an example, my typical 3rd grader normally completes about 3- 4 pgs of math and reads for 45 minutes.  I read science and history with them.  they might complete various activities related to those. We would work on spelling and writing together, also.  That is pretty general summation of what my kids have done.  All in all, 3rd grade takes about 3 1/2 focused hrs of seat work.

Keep in mind that you are not committing to a curriculum, style, schedule, etc forever. It can all change.

Start by looking at one subject. Which ever subject you want. Decide what you want to teach and how you want to teach it - it sounds like you might want to start with a purchased curriculum to help you see how things go. Then try it out. See what you like or don't like. After two weeks add in something else. 

Everybody's 3rd grade is different, everybody's lesson plans look different.

• Like 1

I agree with what has been said so far.

You will need to know what your state requires. I would look into why the public school wasn't working and figure out her learning style.

There are plenty of curricula out there that teaches the same subject. Cathy Duffy has great reviews on numerous curricula.

Many publishers have sample pages that you can see.

Fwiw, my 3rd grader is doing BA/singapore math; Beowulf grammer from Guest Hollow and First language lessons orally (will skip whatever overlaps); writing with ease, sotw, all about spelling, and all about reading readers. I read aloud to her as well. The rest are extras. Science, books from the critical thinking company, art, spanish, etc.

It will take time to get on board, but the good news is that there are plenty of curricula out there to choose from!

Good luck and enjoy!

Do you know what math they were using in school? That might be a good place to start. We use Math in Focus which is used in some schools. It has a recommended lesson plan which is helpful. We also use Beast but it can be a very different style so it would be harder to use. It can frustrate my 3rd grader at times so be aware of that. 

For Language Arts, First Language Lessons 3 and Writing With Ease 3 could be a great option. FLL 3 starts with review assuming the child had not done the previous levels and has a workbook. The lessons are short and there’s a script for you in the Teacher’s Manual. It is grammar focused. WWE is more content. Dictation, narration and reading comprehension. The first week of 3 is relating to the Grimm Fairy Tales. Each day has a different focus. The first day the child reads a two page story, answers questions you ask and writes a summary if it. Over the the rest of the week there is dictation and similar tasks. 

Check out the website RainbowResources.com for great prices and lots of homeschool books. The Cathy Duffy website is a great option to see materials reviewed in different subjects and to give you an idea what’s out there. I also agree with the previous advice to start slow and figure out what works. If you buy too much at once before you know what works you could just have to start over. Have you checked out your state’s requirements?

Thanks to all of you for your awesome recommendations.  I'm not as panicked as I was when I first wrote the post. ?  

Our district offers two options:  complete unenrollment or modified Homeschool with required attendance 1x/week, lesson plans, and a $1200 budget to buy approved curriculum.  So far they have been receptive to my suggestions, but it is overwhelming.  It is the 'lesson plans' I'm suppose to submit that concerns me (what do they even look like!)   I was hoping for a more point and shoot approach to this, as I do have part time work obligations.  But, thankfully, my child is a quick learner.... I'm more worried about boring her.  

We have not formally started homeschooling, except today bc she was sick ?  And, it was fun and easy... I'm so relieved.  

1 minute ago, kroman said:

Thanks to all of you for your awesome recommendations.  I'm not as panicked as I was when I first wrote the post. ?  

Our district offers two options:  complete unenrollment or modified Homeschool with required attendance 1x/week, lesson plans, and a $1200 budget to buy approved curriculum.  So far they have been receptive to my suggestions, but it is overwhelming.  It is the 'lesson plans' I'm suppose to submit that concerns me (what do they even look like!)   I was hoping for a more point and shoot approach to this, as I do have part time work obligations.  But, thankfully, my child is a quick learner.... I'm more worried about boring her.  

We have not formally started homeschooling, except today bc she was sick ?  And, it was fun and easy... I'm so relieved.  

If that is what they want, then here is what I would do:
-open up the table of contents for as many of the intended curriculum you intend to use.  Print those.
-open Excel.  Make a weekly lesson plan template with the major subjects listed on the side and M-F across the top.  Fill in the blanks with either direct copies from the table of contents you printed or a simple description for each subject, like:
Language arts: copywork, Elson reader, grammar workbook (repeat for all days)
Math: Lesson 1
Science: Read            Read           Experiment/Nature study
History: Read            Mapwork               Read            Activity