Menu

So I just made a new house rule...

EKS

In case your teen is like mine, and loves a loophole, you might want to expand that rule to include situations with one or three cops.  Heck, you might even want to throw caution to the wind and make the rule “one or more emergency responders”.

• Like 5
  • Haha 13

3 hours ago, peacelovehomeschooling said:

Okay, I have to know.  If the teen didn't alert an adult first,  what did he do??

He stood there talking to them.  In his defense, his father is friends with a lot of the cops here (small town).  I thought it was a neighbor, the way they were going on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Or the cops could have just asked to speak to an adult...

I think they might have started by asking if my husband was around, then there was a lot of chit chat.  It was during this that I came to see who it was.  I suspect that they were going to get around to asking for another adult at some point, but who knows?

Edited by EKS
  • Like 2

I think, if they wanted to know if anyone had seen the theif crossing your property, talking to whoever answered the door makes the most sense. A kid, teen or adult all equally may have noticed someone. Why would they skip asking a teen to prioritize talking to an adult?

I would have expected my teens to handle the conversation. Same deal - small community, law enforcement and first responders are likely to be recognized. If they'd specifically needed an adult or the homeowner, they could have said so. "Are your parents home?" is a remarkably easy question for a police officer to ask, and for a teen to answer. And if my boys had felt there was an alert to be shared or that we were in any danger, they would have called for me.

Sorry to be a stick in the mud about the humor, but I'd be concerned about a teen who couldn't cope with this situation on his own.

26 minutes ago, Tibbie Dunbar said:

I would have expected my teens to handle the conversation. Same deal - small community, law enforcement and first responders are likely to be recognized. If they'd specifically needed an adult or the homeowner, they could have said so. "Are your parents home?" is a remarkably easy question for a police officer to ask, and for a teen to answer. And if my boys had felt there was an alert to be shared or that we were in any danger, they would have called for me.

Sorry to be a stick in the mud about the humor, but I'd be concerned about a teen who couldn't cope with this situation on his own.

I have no problem with my kid talking to the police on his own.  The thing that I find humorous/object to is that as he was walking to the door to answer it, he could see who it was (we have windows around the front door).  Since I was sitting in a room immediately adjacent to the front door,  he could have said to me, on his way to open the door, "It's the police."  

• Like 2