Menu

Ideas for prizes for 4H club......

Um_2_4

Can you guys help me think of low cost prizes for my 4H club to hand out for "Record Book" checks?

So Record Books are basically a journal or log of their work on 4H projects. This year I am in charge of record books and to encourage kids to keep up with them rather than waiting till the end of the year to fill them out (from memory, hahahaha), we are going to meet 3-4x during the year and help them and review any spots missing, etc. I want to do prizes for those who come with their book up to date. (At the end of the year we will do a pizza party for anyone who hands in a completed record book.)

I was thinking to stop by the local McDs and see if they have those coupons for free ice cream cone still??? Any other suggestions?? We have kids ages 9-17, about 16 of them, no allergies in the group, some vegetarians. I don't mind some candy (sure the kids would love it).

But I was looking for maybe non-food ideas??? 

Thanks!!

Sharpies...you can buy a variety pack and kids can choose a color

Eta: I personally love bookmarks.  Our public library always has several styles to choose from.  If you ask your librarian might have a variety to give you especially since you don't need a lot.

Edited by happi duck
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

Have you looked at 4hmall.org?  They have all kinds of 4-H stuff - bracelets, pins, hats, lanyards, pens, pads, squishy balls, stickers, etc.

Yes, I have that tab open now LOL. I am hoping they'll have another coupon sale again soon.... 

Have you ordered any of the "small" items? Are they good quality, pencils, pens etc?

These are mostly food ideas, but they’re free. We were able to get coupons for free ice cream from Dairy Queen, Culver’s, and McDonald’s. Walmart was also willing to donate as long as we supplied a letter with the tax exempt number on it, asking for the donation. They gave us donuts (which would need to be served at the meeting or taken home from meeting) , and they donated a cake for the end of the year party, as well as some school supplies we used as incentives. The easiest thing for them are items you specifically ask for- so if for instance you want them to donate their deli pizza for the party, be specific.  ‘We have 16 members and would like four of your delicious take and bake pizzas for our year end achievement celebration’ 

• Like 1

Personally we always hated the inexpensive prize awards that we got. We preferred a nice certificate (printed, regular size or smaller) that we could put in a scrapbook. 

Our local Walmarts used to have a deal where non-profits could come in on the first of the month with their tax deduction/donation receipt, and they would give you a $20 WM gift card. I don't know if that is still in effect or not, but it might be worth checking out.

• Like 1

Yes, I was trying to avoid the typical prizes. I found 4H plastic tumblers for .70 each, which I might fill with candy for 1 meeting.

I used to go to local stores for a non-profit when I ran a tutoring program with them. Maybe I will do the same here. I'll email my club leader to get the 4H documents for the tax-exempt stuff.

Maybe Joann's would help as they sponsor 4H.

One of my kids eagerly did his co-op homework for the teacher who gave out chocolate bars for completion. (Hershey bars, Snickers, Reese’s, etc - not cheap candy like a dumdum lollipop)

The con of a coupon as a prize is that the child only gets it if their parent will take them to redeem it.  

• Like 1

I was thinking of chocolate bars, I have a sam's club membership so I can get their big boxes...... or maybe their cupcakes.

I agree about the coupons. My kids only used a few of those we got from the summer reading program (mainly the ones that did not require any other purchase, like the donut shop).

• Like 2