Menu

Good kibble cat food

Garga

What is a good cat food for cats?  Preferrably one that isn’t astronomically expensive, as I have 5 cats.  I keep hearing that so much food out there on the market really isn’t good for the kitties, and I’m not sure where to start to find something better without it being very expensive.

Anyone have suggestions?

One of our previous cats had IBD and did very well on Purina One sensitive system kibble. I would have preferred that she eat canned food, but she wouldn't have much to do with it. She made it until she was 14, which I believe is an unusually long life for a cat with IBD.

FWIW, if you're interested in canned--In all the years I've done rescue work and with my own cats over the years--I've never seen a cat who didn't do well on Fancy Feast or Friskies (non seafood formulas).

• Like 1

If you can’t feed wet food, pick a dry food that has meat as the first ingredient (not meat by-product) and corn or wheat or potato way down.  I once used taste of the wild and then I used Aacana and now we are exclusively wet.   

When we had 6 cats, I was buying a huge bag of Acana for $65 every three weeks, or so.  That huge bag was why I starting using it!

if you have a diabetic cat, grain-free is great, but you have to watch out for other carbs - like blueberries or potato.  And then hyperThyroid cats can’t do fish, and some brands use fish oil and ugh.