Menu

Common App shrinks my transcript!

daijobu

I created a transcript in google sheets and then create a pdf version of it.  But when I upload it to the Common App, the margins are enlarged.  Like a lot.  And my transcript becomes tiny, taking up half of the area of the piece of paper.  

Did this happen to anyone else?  Is there a workaround?  

23 minutes ago, daijobu said:

I created a transcript in google sheets and then create a pdf version of it.  But when I upload it to the Common App, the margins are enlarged.  Like a lot.  And my transcript becomes tiny, taking up half of the area of the piece of paper.  

Did this happen to anyone else?  Is there a workaround?  

Not sure, but I had problems 4 years ago with my uploaded pdfs not looking "right" but I can't remember the specifics.   While I don't remember the specifics of the problem, I do remember that the problem with the pdf uploads was the result of me using an older version of Firefox that wasn't supported by the application software.  Once I uploaded the pdfs using a supporter browser, the documents looked perfect.   

I would check to make sure that you are using a browser recommended by the Common App.

Good luck.  I hope you get your problem solved quickly. 

• Like 1

So, for the Common App, try saving the transcript with the smallest possible margins (mine are .17) when exporting to PDF. This makes the transcript much larger when importing to the Common App. I wouldn't actually send one with that small of margins if I'm printing it out, but it looks better with super-small margins. I also tried saving my Course Descriptions with super small margins for the same reasons.

* Note: I'm playing around with my bogus account. I haven't opened my student's real counselor account yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, RootAnn!  All this time I hadn't noticed that I had direct control over the size of my margins.  I saw "Wide" "Normal" and "Narrow" and completely overlooked "Custom Numbers" which translate to: "Set your margins to be any size you like."  It totally worked, too.  (Narrow was still too wide when it gets uploaded to CA.)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/14/2018 at 12:10 AM, easypeasy said:

That is frustrating! Isn't the entire point of a PDF file to remain essentially unchanged, no matter the platform used to upload it?

I believe it shrinks because the CA puts their own header (document type and maybe applicant name?) and footer (CA app #) on each uploaded page. To make room, they just shrink down the PDF uniformly, making even more white space and margin. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Woodland Mist Academy said:

I'm just now playing around with the transcript on my practice account. If I click the box that says  "Yes, this looks exactly how I intend"  does that mean there's no going back, it can't be corrected? I was afraid to find out the hard way, so I thought I would ask first. 

I am pretty sure that you can delete the file after choosing "Yes, this looks exactly how I intend."  I think the only time there is no going back is when you press the anxiety inducing "submit" button.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Woodland Mist Academy said:

I'm just now playing around with the transcript on my practice account. If I click the box that says  "Yes, this looks exactly how I intend"  does that mean there's no going back, it can't be corrected? I was afraid to find out the hard way, so I thought I would ask first. 

I think I uploaded and deleted the files six or ten times. You can go back and change them until you do the final submit button. (I just got to the "review and submit" level yesterday and you can even back out of that if the documents don't look right. I deleted & reuploaded, reviewed, deleted, reuploaded, etc.)

I always backed out of that review & submit window when the kids came to borrow the computer because I was worried they'd accidentally push the submit button...

Edited by RootAnn
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1