Menu

Rash Help!

jewellsmommy

Has anyone ever dealt with or heard of an allergic rash that does NOT itch?  

Last night I discovered a blistery rash in front of my left ear. Within 15ish minutes it had spread down my neck and had reached my forehead and cheek. I took a benadryl, not knowing what was going on. It continued. There was no itch, but it did radiate heat. I had not been feeling the greatest, and so I was concerned it could be viral. I am watching my nephew everyday,and he has a brand new baby brother. I needed to be sure that I had not exposed them to anything, so my dh took me to an urgent care place. The doctor determined it to be an allergic reaction. She said that there were at least 2 hive like patches. SHe asked if I had been in the yard or eaten anything new etc . I asked her if it was strange that it didn't itch. She said, "actually, yes, that is strange," but prescribed me what she called a high-power benadryl. She was going to give me prednisone, but then changed her mind when she saw that I was on meds for an ulcer. 

I took the meds, but have stopped because I want to be conscience now! The label says to take every 6 hrs as needed for itch, but there is no itch! I think it has stopped spreading now. It is across my whole face, but most dense in front of the left ear. It is on my neck , down to my chest, and there is a small patch on my right hand.

I can't figure out what could have caused it. Any theories?

• Mowed lawn last Saturday. No poison plants that I know of. I usually react strongly to bugs and poison ivy etc. (intense itch, redness, swelling)
  • Dinner was boneless, skinless chick breasts with Trader Joes General Tsao sauce and green peas and half my plate were bell peppers. None of this new to me. The last new food was Monday night. I made Coconut Curry chicken ( a recipe posted here actually). I had never had curry before.
  • No new detergents or cleaners

ETA: I had a tick bite back around May 6 or 7. It was attached for maybe 12 hrs. No symptoms post removal.

Edited by jewellsmommy

I don't think shingles fit. The pattern is wrong and there is no sensitivity to touch or pain. 

I don't know if this matters, but I edited op to include that I had a tick bite back around May 6 or 7. It was attached for maybe 12 hrs. No symptoms post removal. That seems to far removed though to be a factor.

My skin is prone to all kinds of crazy rashes. I've had several that didn't itch, but they're always infections, never allergies. The kneejerk thing that non-dermatologists tend to say, IME, is that everything is an allergy because it's vague and is probably right much of the time. It's never an allergy in my case. Well, I've had poison ivy before, I guess that's an allergy technically? But usually for me it's a condition or an infection or a fun combination of both.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Farrar said:

My skin is prone to all kinds of crazy rashes. I've had several that didn't itch, but they're always infections, never allergies. The kneejerk thing that non-dermatologists tend to say, IME, is that everything is an allergy because it's vague and is probably right much of the time. It's never an allergy in my case. Well, I've had poison ivy before, I guess that's an allergy technically? But usually for me it's a condition or an infection or a fun combination of both.

Do you usually have a fever or any other symptoms? I was tired yesterday but no fever or specific pains.

TMI warning: I was pretty sure I had a yeast infection late last week. I got Monistat One and used that Saturday. I did mention this to doc who just sort of glazed right over it. Could that be a thing? At what point would you go to the family doc to look at other possibilities? 

Just now, jewellsmommy said:

Do you usually have a fever or any other symptoms? I was tired yesterday but no fever or specific pains.

TMI warning: I was pretty sure I had a yeast infection late last week. I got Monistat One and used that Saturday. I did mention this to doc who just sort of glazed right over it. Could that be a thing? At what point would you go to the family doc to look at other possibilities? 

No. Sometimes I get itchy rashes, but never fever. I've had a variety of things over the years. I once had a really severe looking rash on my back that someone else had to spot. My friend was like, get to the school nurse asap (I was working at a school abroad). Nurse was like, meh, some kind of allergy. When it didn't go away, I had to go to the doctor, who diagnosed it as an infection. I wouldn't have known if it hadn't spread and been spotted, honestly.

I'm also super prone to yeast infections and, in fact, have had them on my skin. But I also get a form of eczema on my hands and feet, and have had other stuff that's not infection related. So... I'm just saying... it could so be anything. I think they just kneejerk to "allergy." 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Katy said:

You can be allergic to curry powder: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19207436

It often includes: Coriander, Turmeric, Fenugreek, Cayenne, Fennel, Cumin and Black pepper.  You can be allergic to any one or more of those.  As well as any other ingredients in that recipe that aren't familiar to you.

That's interesting. Seems a bit delayed (48 hrs) but I guess it could be. I know I'm fine with fenugreek (took it in capsule form for supplement after dd was born), cayenne, cumin, and black pepper. Not sure if I have ever eaten fennel, turmeric, or coriander. Curry was the only new spice on Monday. I am fine with melons and latex too. This guessing game is so annoying! 

I am considering just calling my family doc tomorrow, seeing him, and getting blood work done. I would feel better knowing for sure that I am not exposing my nephews to anything communicable. It's just so hard to accept allergic reaction when it doesn't itch! I will be sure to tell him, though, that I tried curry for the first time on Monday.

I have had hives that wasn't itchy. But that specific of a location, rather than trunk, is suspicious to me too.  Have you eaten imitation crab recently?  I read once about a rash similar to hives you can get from a form of food poisoning in imitation crab. It's some disease related to what causes typhoid fever in the fish, I think.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Katy said:

I have had hives that wasn't itchy. But that specific of a location, rather than trunk, is suspicious to me too.  Have you eaten imitation crab recently?  I read once about a rash similar to hives you can get from a form of food poisoning in imitation crab. It's some disease related to what causes typhoid fever in the fish, I think.

Yikes. No, thankfully I haven't. I don't eat real or imitation seafood.

25 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

I have had topical reactions to lotions, etc that were red/pink and hot, but not itchy at all. Many times, actually. (the fun part of being a redhead with sensitive skin, lol)

If you don't mind me asking (trying to figure this out)...did the reaction spread much beyond where contact occured? Have you had reactions that were blistery looking or acne like?

I ask because nephew is using Eucrisa. I put it on him twice daily over 3 days time last week when he was staying with us (birth of other nephew). It didn't seem to bother me then as far as I can tell. But he may have rubbed up against my face yesterday morning. The eucrisa would have been on his face because he has an eczema breakout on both sides of his face right now. But there is no way he contacted down my neck and onto my chest.