Menu

Khan or the Beast Academy online version?

My DD8’s school uses Khan because the curriculum tracks students’ progress and shows gaps. Now the BA also has an online version. Is it time to switch to the BA online version? DD does not have time to do both at the same time. So we have to choose one. From what I can tell, the advantages of Khan are the videos and detailed student progress. On the other hand, BA is always more fun for kids who love math. Any comments?

BA Academy *just* opened so it’s hard to review it or compare.  We just signed up, but haven’t played yet. However I live BA, this is my third kid to use it, and I would take it over Khan even blind/without testing.  I will post after we have played with it a while, but I am already sold on it over Khan.

• Like 1

We have used Khan in the past as a supplement to MM and BA. I signed DS up for BA online and in 4 days, he's played for 330 minutes (just checked). I started him at a level he's already done in the books, so it's review for him at this point, but he is loving it. We're still in summer mode, and I'm not sure how I'm going to incorporate the online academy during the school year, but it's very well done and engaging. 

• Like 2

Khan Academy only teaches if the kids watch and understand the lessons.  From what ds11 says some kids just try and do it without lessons and some kids only watch the lessons so they don't have to do anything.  It depends how it is managed.  Ds9 seems to like BA online so far though.

The BA guidebooks are the instruction, and they were always plenty enough for my kid.

In general, I think of Beast as great for understanding why numbers work, and Khan as practice in learning and applying the algorithms. Depends which version of learning math you want.

We tried BA online too but I canceled after a week. The lack of instruction before the problems/challenges was very disappointing. My child doesn't love reading the PDF's online and I didn't want to purchase the books separately because I was really looking for something interactive and in the cloud. It's not our main math it was to just be a supplement.