Menu

Like Operation Christmas Child, but different organization

Xahm

The volunteering thread made me remember how much I loved putting together Operation Christmas Child boxes as a kid. I don't currently feel comfortable with the organization doing it (I don't like my religion mixed with politics so strongly). Does anyone know of a similar project, Christian or secular, to do with my kids this year? We'll probably also do a local thing, but I enjoyed the international aspect of OCC. 

• Like 5

There is a foster organization in my area called kids to love.  They have wish lists from foster kids.  Some are as simple as a kindle a d others need more.  Is there something g like that in your area.   Another thing that came to mind d is lunches of love or similar where food is sent home with school children in need on weekends and longer breaks.  . 

Edited by lynn
  • Like 2

United Methodist Women does health kits, school kits, etc. If you contact any UMC church, they’d be glad for the help. I imagine any church that has a mission response program probably does something similar. If you specifically want to do toys/gifts, check with foster care agencies, or the Salvation Army angel tree, or the guidance counselor or social worker for a school that serves a low SES population.

• Like 2

We do backpacks and school supplies for our rescue mission in our high needs area.  Every year they give out free backpacks filled with school supplies to kids who need them.  The organization is Christian, but as far as I know, they don't talk about politics as part of any of it.

We also participate in a coat drive with another organization in the downtown area.  My boys being involved in that.

Angel Tree has been a group we have participated in.  We collect, wrap, and then deliver gifts for kids whose fathers are in prison.

• Like 1