Menu

Fitbit Alta HR ( I added a question down thread)

Night Elf

I found a quiz online about which Fitbit is best for me and it suggested the Alta HR. Is this the most simple one? I want to track steps while I move around at work and use my treadmill, in addition to my regular daily life movement. I do not do any other form of exercise. I don't want to track calories. I'm indifferent to the sleep tracker. 

I think you should look at the flex instead.  That's what I use.  To find out your exact steps you have to check on an app or online, but there is a way to tell your progress through the day (a lighted dot system that keeps track of every 2000 steps) on the band itself.  It doesn't do heartrate like the Alta HR.

I have the Alta HR and I really like it. It is slim and I don’t mind the way it looks on my wrist. You can also buy different bands for it, but I haven’t done so yet. 

I like to be able to look at my Fitbit regularly to know how many steps I have. It also send me a reminder every hour to get up an move (if I haven’t walked enough that hour). It does track other things, but you don’t really have to look at those things. I do like tracking my sleep, but that’s because I don’t get enough and my Fitbit is helping me focus on getting to bed earlier. 

• Like 1

I use the Alta. IT doesn't track heart rate. And I've been surprised at how much I love the alarm function and the reminder to get up and move. And I like the fact that I can see who is texting me on my cell so that I can know if a text is urgent enough to pick up my phone and read it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hjffkj said:

Do you care about it ready your heart rate?  Because if so, the alta hr sounds like a perfect match for you.  If no, just get the Alta.  

It's not necessary but I do think it would be interesting to have, especially when I'm walking on my treadmill. I'm not certain how accurate its monitor is.

Question: In my job, I'm sometimes bending over and sometimes reaching up and moving my arms around. I use hangers to hang all window treatments, all types of bedding, and tablecloths. Will moving my arms around do something to the fitbit or does it really recognize steps only? 

11 minutes ago, Night Elf said:

Question: In my job, I'm sometimes bending over and sometimes reaching up and moving my arms around. I use hangers to hang all window treatments, all types of bedding, and tablecloths. Will moving my arms around do something to the fitbit or does it really recognize steps only? 

If you wear the wrist band, the fitbit records your arm movement, not your steps.

My musician friend gets her 10,000 "steps" in by conducting a couple of rehearsals ?

If you want your actual step count, you need to wear it somewhere on your body where it does not register arm movement.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, regentrude said:

If you wear the wrist band, the fitbit records your arm movement, not your steps.

My musician friend gets her 10,000 "steps" in by conducting a couple of rehearsals ?

If you want your actual step count, you need to wear it somewhere on your body where it does not register arm movement.

Like around my ankle? 

1 minute ago, regentrude said:

yes, or clipped onto your pants - there are different styles. Not sure how accurate they are when you put them in your pocket

The wristbands are not large enough to put around a normal adult's ankle.

Ok. I'm still trying to decide which one to get. I just found a silicon clip for the Flex 2 that I could clip on my jeans.

Ok. I'm going to try the Flex 2 and the silicon clip-on. Thanks for the help. I know I don't walk nearly enough and I'm afraid this is just going to show me just how little I do. My job keeps me busy with lots of movements and walking around between the backroom and my department on the other side of the store. I know it's common to aim for 5 miles a day. I bet I could do 3. 

• Like 1

I am glad you did not choose the Alta hr. It does not read your heart rate during exercise accurately.  I received a replacement for my first one due to this issue and the new one has the same problem. After reading reviews online I found that I wasn't the only one with this issue. 

So to anyone looking at the Alta HR, I encourage you to look at the Charge or get a Fitbit without hr capability.