Menu

Sports Laundry Detergent in Spain

jen3kids

I'm heading to Spain tomorrow for a tournament and I'll need to do laundry while I'm there.  There's a laundromat close to the hotel that I can use to wash my stuff, but my question is about the type of laundry detergent available.  I wear synthetic materials, and my equipment is washable too.  I use this Win detergent here in the US and it works great to get the stink out - so much better than regular stuff.  I assume they have something similar in Spain, but I can bring a bottle of my own if they don't.   My google search was a bust, but perhaps I'm just a bad google ?

Does anyone know what I should look for there?  

Thanks!

I would just bring what you have.   They likely have something that would work.  But, since you aren't a local finding something that you can't find just anywhere will take time.   And, what if you couldn't find it?  
For example, hair conditioner is practically impossible to find in Barcelona.  I wasted hours one trip looking for saline solution for contacts in Germany (sold at optometrists).  

I agree with the above. If I’m traveling for a shorter visit to a place with a laundromat, I just bring a small amount of my own detergent. It’s much easier than tracking down what I need, especially in a different language.

23 minutes ago, shawthorne44 said:

I would just bring what you have.   They likely have something that would work.  But, since you aren't a local finding something that you can't find just anywhere will take time.   And, what if you couldn't find it?  
For example, hair conditioner is practically impossible to find in Barcelona.  I wasted hours one trip looking for saline solution for contacts in Germany (sold at optometrists).  

21 minutes ago, Amira said:

I agree with the above. If I’m traveling for a shorter visit to a place with a laundromat, I just bring a small amount of my own detergent. It’s much easier than tracking down what I need, especially in a different language.

Hah!  My husband thinks I'm nuts for packing my own.  I have a half full bottle that I double wrapped in ziplock bags and put into into my equipment bag.  He just rolled his eyes.  

I told him he'll be happy that I have it because my gear reeks when it isn't washed after every couple of games.  It will be in the mid-upper 80s, plus humidity, when we're there, so I'll be sweating a ton!

European washers are usually HE (high efficiency) and use HE detergents. You might need to use a smaller amount of detergent than usual to prevent oversudsing. Another option is some white vinegar in with the wash. I use Ariel pods and they work really well for normal exercise clothing if you decide you need something else.

2 hours ago, CAJinBE said:

European washers are usually HE (high efficiency) and use HE detergents. You might need to use a smaller amount of detergent than usual to prevent oversudsing. Another option is some white vinegar in with the wash. I use Ariel pods and they work really well for normal exercise clothing if you decide you need something else.

Thanks for the reminder that reminder!  I'll use less the first time round and see what happens. 

42 minutes ago, klmama said:

Just remember to repackage it in a small enough bottle for airline regulations. 

Is that an issue with checked baggage?  

53 minutes ago, klmama said:

Sorry about that.  We always pack light in carry-ons, and I forgot there were different rules for checked bags. Enjoy your trip!

No worries.  I usually do too, but this is a 2 week trip to Spain and then a week in Sweden.  I have to take clothes for both hot and humid Spain and cool-ish Sweden, so I'm not even trying to take all that in my carry-on. 

Plus, I have my big equipment bag, and there is no traveling light with that ?

Although small travel bottles aren't a bad idea.   For every trip to Europe I'd get a bag of small cheap travel bottles from the container store.   Then put all my liquids in those and label.  For some things, I had several bottles of the same thing.  Then when I finished a small bottle, I'd toss it.  I always seem to buy stuff in Europe so the luggage space on the way home is a premium.