Menu

Christmas gift ideas for your hs

I'm getting my act together for Christmas and folks are asking what to get my kids. That got me to thinking...if you could have anything you asked for (within reason, of course! ;)) as a gift for your hs/educational gift for the kids, what would you get? I'd love to hear your ideas.

I'm thinking seriously about a microscope, but DH thinks the kids are too young for that particular investment...

I'm getting my act together for Christmas and folks are asking what to get my kids. That got me to thinking...if you could have anything you asked for (within reason, of course! ;)) as a gift for your hs/educational gift for the kids, what would you get? I'd love to hear your ideas.

I'm thinking seriously about a microscope, but DH thinks the kids are too young for that particular investment...

I think your kids are a great age for a good microscope! We invested in a good microscope that would take us through high school and it has been a wonderful "toy" for all the kids. We have looked at moss, dead bugs, live bugs, pond water, etc. The little ones love it.

I *would* factor how well your kids follow rules- no touching without parental supervision etc. I have had to keep ours out of reach of our 23 month old for a while- she is fascinated.

To answer your question- for a less expensive gift idea for the family, my kids are enjoying a rock tumbler (kept in the garage because of the noise).

Jo

Thumbs up for the microscope. We've got a sturdy field microscope, and it's one of the most-used and magical "toys" we've got. I got tired of getting it out and putting it away, so I leave it out permanently. My boys use it over and over and over. "Let's look at it in the microscope!" is a common phrase in our home.

Cat

I highly recommend puchasing a stereo microscope. We purchased one many years ago and we still use it every once in while! It's great for looking at mushrooms, rocks, leaves, bug wings, etc. Who wants to mess with slides? It's so much more fun to bring something home from a walk in the woods and put it under the microscope for a better look.

It's very kid-friendly.

On the other hand, we had a telescope and after one summer, we never used it again.

I am buying a family membership to the science center for the year, my ex-husband is buying them a telescope that I asked for. I bought my kids a really good quality microscope last year and set of prepared slides(not for christmas, but with my school funding) so that is not needed this year.