Menu

How is your XBox 360 holding up?

We are considering buying one for Christmas hoping that it will hold up better than Playstation I and II which have each lasted not not much more than 1-2 years each.

Even our Game Cube did not last much longer. We are NOT hard on game systems, they stay at home, in one spot. They just don't last.

Our latest PS II is on its last leg...the new PS III now no longer play the PS I and II games (grrr!) and cost way too much for something that probably will not hold up for more than a couple of years.

Does the XBox 360 hold up any better?

Thanks,

Dh has had his since Feb. and it is still working great. We don't play DVD's in it because DH has heard that it is hard on the disk drive.

A good friend of ours has had to have his replaced by warranty twice, but I'm not sure why.

Oh, something we learned with our original Xbox is to make sure the kids always use the button to close the disk drawer. We had to have the disk drive replaced when it would no longer open and close.

Edited by akmommy

Um... Ours has held up just fine -- but then so have our PS and Nintendo systems (because of dh's research, we have pretty much everything, lol), so maybe that's not helpful.

I think our problem may be dust. In the past we've got ours working again by cleaning it real good.

Besides regular dusting (which I confess I am bad about) is there anyway to guard them from dust? Probably not, but thought I'd ask, just in case.

We bought ours used about a year ago. The only problem we have is with the disk tray. When we push the eject button, the drawer doesn't come all the way out.

The main problem I've read about 360's is that they overheat. We've had ours do it when ds forgot to open the entertainment doors while he was playing. It got too hot and shut off. We let it cool for a couple of hours and it's been fine since.

We have two 360's - a regular one, and one that has been, er, "modified" to dh's specifications. We did have to send one out to be repaired (under warranty) once, but we haven't had any trouble.

Like previous posters, our Wii, PS2, and even the Super NES are also fine. We traded in the Game Cube for credit toward new games. And, trust me, we have *lots* of dust around here! ;)

We have two 360's - a regular one, and one that has been, er, "modified" to dh's specifications. We did have to send one out to be repaired (under warranty) once, but we haven't had any trouble.

Like previous posters, our Wii, PS2, and even the Super NES are also fine. We traded in the Game Cube for credit toward new games. And, trust me, we have *lots* of dust around here! ;)

Meaning they last more than 2 years? I don't know what could be our problem with systems. They don't get moved around or treated rough or anything.

You guys must just not play with yours enough!! :D

My dh is a gamer and the xbox 360 is his favorite. We have had to send it in for repairs twice, both times for the "red ring of death" (as gamers call it). Microsoft didn't give us any problems about repairing it. They even sent a shipping label so we didn't have to pay to send it in.

I would like to say that if you are getting this for younger kids, a Wii might be better as they have more kid-friendly games and the controller fits in their hands better. My 5yo is pretty good at Wii games.

My dh is a gamer and the xbox 360 is his favorite. We have had to send it in for repairs twice, both times for the "red ring of death" (as gamers call it). Microsoft didn't give us any problems about repairing it. They even sent a shipping label so we didn't have to pay to send it in.

This is good to know.

I would like to say that if you are getting this for younger kids, a Wii might be better as they have more kid-friendly games and the controller fits in their hands better. My 5yo is pretty good at Wii games.

I agree and we do have a Wii. My 8 year old is really the only one that cares for it. Besides me, but I never have time to play.

The XBox will be primarily for my 12 and almost 16 year old.

I did see that XBox has the Sonic and Lego (Batman, StarWars, Indiana Jones) games...so they do have some games suited for younger kids, which is good in case my Wii bites the dust.

Thanks,

You guys must just not play with yours enough!! :D

Well, lol, that's entirely possible. Despite dh, we don't use the machines all that much, and because there are so many, each individual one gets used even less.

But dust we have. Lots and lots and lots of dust... ;)