Menu

Religion Study...

Donna

I was wondering what programs you all have found to be good for religion study (more in depth than just knowing the basic Bible stories). My kids know the basic Bible stories but I would like to get into something more indepth...the why and historical context, maybe. I am looking for at least 5th grade level.

I don't know if religious affiliation would help but I am Methodist and have a Catholic friend who is also asking the same questions.

Are you interested in doing comparative religion? Teaching more about what your denomination believes? A study of Church history?

I can't give any recs. for materials from a Methodist POV but for your Catholic friend I would suggest:

The Faith and Life series by Ignatius Press

New St. Joseph Baltimore Catechism No. 2

Bible History by Fr. Schuster

Loyola Kids Book of Saints by Amy Welborn

Loyola Kids Book of Heroes by Amy Welborn

Here are a few book titles to consider. Most are from an evangelical perspective. Most are available through http://www.rainbowresource.com Hope something here is a "starting point" for you! Warmest regards, Lori D.

- History Lives Chronicles (4 volumes) (Withrow) -- gr. 4-9

Timeline of major events; each chapter focuses on an important figure in church history; some discussion of aspects of the church at that time:

- vol 1 = Peril & Peace

- vol 2 = Monks & Mystics

- vol 3 = Courage & Conviction

- vol 4 = Hands & Hearts

- How the Bible Came To Us -- gr. 3-8

Like an Usborne book with short chunks of text, and lots of illustrations with captions. Timelines, brief descriptions of many key people and events, description of translation process, and how the Bible has spread over the years and around the world. Put out by Wycliff Bible Translators.

- 100 Most Important Events in Christian History (Curtis, Lang & Petersen) -- gr. 7-adult

2 page "sound bites" of church history

IVP (InterVarsity Press) Histories series (evangelical perspective):

- Christianity and the Celts (Olsen)

- Augustine and His World (Knowles & Penkett) -- gr. 6-10

- Francis of Assisi and His World (Galli) -- gr. 6-10

- Jesus and His World (Walker) -- gr. 6-10

- Luther and His World (Tomlin) -- gr. 6-10

- Christian History Made Easy (Jones) -- gr. 7-adult

Complete study of church history from AD 64 to present day in an introduction and 12 chapters, highlighting key people and events, and includes web links, thought provoking questions, various facts, quotes from past people and a closing activity.

- The Church in History -- gr. 7-adult

The most dramatic episodes in church history; originally created as a textbook for a Christian-perspective class about church history from the year 33 to present times. Topics include the growth of the church, divisions, rises and declines of power, reformations, the church in various countries, various denominations, etc. Review questions, maps, timelines, B&W photos.

- The Church of the East (Holzman) -- gr. 7-9; evangelical perspective

- Bede's Ecclesiastical History of the English People -- gr. 9-adult

Translation of the work written in Latin by the 8th century scholarly monk, the Venerable Saint Bede; covers England’s religious history from the 1st century BC, through and including the events of Bede’s own timeframe. Also included is a translation of Bede’s The Greater Chronicle, which examines the Roman Empire and Europe of his day, and his Letter to Egbert, which discusses his thoughts about the English Church just before he died in 735AD.

Bible study mostly. I am fine with teaching what our church believes. The kids attend Sunday School and Worship service but their Sunday School lessons seem very watered down so I am looking for more in depth Bibly study. Historically why things happened the way they happened, in the Old Testiment and with the early church in the New Testiment. Something more than just knowing the basic children's stories.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

... The Bible (we all read from the same translation) and a set called The Book of Life. It was given to us by a friend at church. It's like an encylopedia set that actually has the scripture in the book, but has lots of photos from the area that is being read about, or has info on customs, pictures of artifacts, etc. The more I tried to make Bible a school subject (with tests and all), they less they got out of it. Once we started sitting down, reading together, looking at the pictures, discussing how that person must have felt, how brave they were, their faith and trust in God, mistakes they made, what we would do in their place, man they started flourishing. Making it more personal made it click in their little minds, but mostly in their hearts. (They like to read the passage from their own Bibles (we take turns reading the passage, then we discuss, open the Book of Life, check out the pictures, etc.))

I don't think The Book of Life is being printed any longer. It's published by Zondervan. I did find a set (minus one book) at a second hand store where I live. (I need to tell someone about it.) You can probably find it used somewhere.

We have taken a small break and are studying the different names of God in the Bible. To give us a picture of God's character. (I found this little book at Publix near the pharmacy, of all places!) It's something I was going to do on my own and they decided they wanted to do it with me. I made a notebook page for them. One box for the Name of God being studied, one box for the Bible verse we are focusing on, one box for what the Name means, one box with a statement for them to finish about how they will respond to God.

I know it's not a curriculum, but wanted to share what was working for us. I hope you find what you are looking for.

Patty

Great ideas so far- Lori, what an awesome list! I'd like to recommend Christian Studies by Memoria Press- there is lots of actual Bible reading, memory work, map study, etc. I'm using it with my older kids too and we are going through it faster than recommended (probably we'll do all 3 in a year) but it is great overview of the major Biblical events. At the same time we are memorizing VP cards - lots of food for thought there too.

SL used to suggest reading 4 chapters outloud a day- we did that for years and it still amazes me how MUCH my older dd's understand of the Bible and how many nuances and details that they picked up.

We are also memorizing huge chuncks of scripture, in both Latin and English and play Lingua Angelica.

Have you seen the new Timberdoodle catalog? There are some awesome Bible study suggestions in there!

... I am looking for more in depth Bibly study. Historically why things happened the way they happened, in the Old Testiment and with the early church in the New Testiment. Something more than just knowing the basic children's stories.

Ahh... In that case, I'd consider getting some good resource materials. These resources really help you understand the geography, history and culture of the various places and peoples. They also explain specific Old Testament ceremonies, items and symbolism so you understand their significance in the New Testament. Hope something here is of more specific help. Warmest regards, Lori D.

Bible History/Culture Resource

- "The Victor Journey Through the Bible" (by Gilbert Beers)

see table of contents and sample pages at: http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=63480&netp_id=182667&event=ESRCN&item_code=WW&view=covers

- "Story of the Old Testament (by Alec Motyer; edited by John Stott)

see an inside page at: http://rainbowresource.com/product/Story+of+the+Old+Testament/021510/1226783749-446009

available at: http://www.amazon.com/Story-Old-Testament-Men-Message/dp/0801012309/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1226782941&sr=1-3

Bible Handbook

- "Unger's Bible Handbook"

See table of contents and sample pages: http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=90565&netp_id=368945&event=ESRCN&item_code=WW&view=covers

Bible Atlas

- Holman Bible Atlas (by Thomas Brisco)

see table of contents and sample pages: http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=97095&netp_id=113420&event=ESRCN&item_code=WW&view=covers

Bible Encyclopedia

- Nelson's Illustrated Encyclopedia of the Bible (by John Drane)

see inside at: http://www.amazon.com/Nelsons-Illustrated-Encyclopedia-Bible-Drane/dp/0785246142/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1226783631&sr=8-1

For Bible Study:

I'd highly recommend Bible Study Fellowship, a non-denominational, international Bible study organization that is 34 weeks long (runs throughout the school year), with many individual branches having a men's study and a children's study in addition to the traditional women's study. Each week you get terrific in-depth notes with history and commentary, then answer questions that get you digging deep into Scripture. The following week you come back and answer the questions in a small group setting, and then as a whole big group, you hear a lecture on that section of Scripture from the teaching leader.

BSF: http://www.bsfinternational.org/

If BSF isn't available in your area (and especially if it doesn't have a children/youth Bible study), you might look at the Explorers Bible Study series. Even though your son is 5th grade, I'd recommend looking at the 7th-12th grade level (Quest) in order to get more of that history and commentary you were wanting:

Explorers Bible Study: http://www.explorerbiblestudy.org/homeschool.htm

Edited by Lori D.
added a forgotten web link

I had the same goal in mind for my dd when I went looking for the right studies for her. We have discovered the Explorer's Bible Study curriculum and have found it to be really great. DD is doing it daily and I'm very impressed with the amount of knowledge she is gaining. She's been studying the book of Genesis for a few months now, and will move on to OT prophets next. She finds the lessons to be interesting and challenging, yet do-able.

Here is a link to their website with more information on what they have available.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I'd suggest the Teen Timeline (also called T3) from Ascension Press (http://www.ascensionpress.com). It's specifically for teens, and it includes a basic overview of the Bible historically. It includes a colorful timeline of Bible events and also a reading schedule for reading selected books of the Bible that provide the big picture "story" of salvation history. There are DVDs available, too. This program is based on Jeff Cavin's the Great Adventure Catholic Bible Study for adults, which is also excellent.

HTH,

Brenda