Menu

Uncle Sam and You - 2 years?

lgliser

I'm sitting down trying to plan our 2018/19 6th grade year. We will be doing Uncle Sam and You this year and as I'm looking at it, I'm wondering if people often stretch it into 2 years. 

I guess it's just supposed to be one year, done every day. It just kind of looks like a lot! But maybe by 6th grade they should be expected to do more work!

That's what I was thinking, too. We're set to do Uncle Sam & You for 6th grade in the Fall also. We only school 4 days a week, so I was just planning to "do the next thing" (section/lesson) each day we work on it, and see where that got us, but I will be watching to see what comments are made for that issue. I plan on having the younger ds join for the holiday lessons, but not sure if that should be extra-as in do a lesson PLUS a holiday lesson all in one day, or what. Thanks for addressing this, I'll be watching!

We did it in one year for fifth and seventh grades.  But it felt very rushed.  Looking back, I would have stretched it out longer and added videos and more living books.  The older child definitely got more out of it.  The younger one remembers very little from it now. 

I had this exact same question about Uncle Sam and You and also America the Beautiful.  From looking at the online samples, it looks like a lot of reading for one lesson.  Then multiply that times 5 days a week, and that seems like a ton when you factor in reading and work from other studies.

18 minutes ago, GeoKitty said:

We did it in one year for fifth and seventh grades.  But it felt very rushed.  Looking back, I would have stretched it out longer and added videos and more living books.  The older child definitely got more out of it.  The younger one remembers very little from it now. 

I'm considering doing America the Beautiful over 7th and 8th grades with my daughter.  Three days a week with added in living books and videos seems like plenty. In your experience, do you think this would be a better experience than over 1 year?

I wish we could add in Uncle Sam and You this year, but I think it would stretch us too thin.  It looks like such a fun study!

1 minute ago, MamaHill said:

I had this exact same question about Uncle Sam and You and also America the Beautiful.  From looking at the online samples, it looks like a lot of reading for one lesson.  Then multiply that times 5 days a week, and that seems like a ton when you factor in reading and work from other studies.

I'm considering doing America the Beautiful over 7th and 8th grades with my daughter.  Three days a week with added in living books and videos seems like plenty. In your experience, do you think this would be a better experience than over 1 year?

I wish we could add in Uncle Sam and You this year, but I think it would stretch us too thin.  It looks like such a fun study!

Yes.  My DD did America the Beautiful... also over one year. And yes it was rushed.  Plus adding in time for the family activities/ projects. I think Uncle Sam and You would have been better for us to do over many years..... maybe one day a week.... while doing SOTW.  Then spend two years on America the Beaitiful.... or even mix it in to SOTW 3 and 4 at the appropriate places.  

So, yes, I think spreading it out and going deeper would be better ? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nixpix5 said:

I know someone who did Sonlight level D (US History 1) and did book 1 along with it and then the following year did level E (US History 2) and did the 2nd book with it. They said it was perfectly paced. 

I would love to hear more about how that worked.  Do you know how they scheduled this?  We have US&Y planned for our 5th grader this fall.  I've spent some time reading through the material.  It is a LOT to read every day.  I like the idea of spreading it out alongside US History.  I have always liked Sonlight D and E as well!!

48 minutes ago, Bay Lake Mom said:

I would love to hear more about how that worked.  Do you know how they scheduled this?  We have US&Y planned for our 5th grader this fall.  I've spent some time reading through the material.  It is a LOT to read every day.  I like the idea of spreading it out alongside US History.  I have always liked Sonlight D and E as well!!

I can ask her how she did it since I will see her on Tuesday for our nature walk. I know that she didn't try to align anything. Someone else I know did America the Beautiful with these levels of sonlight because they didn't love the history spine used in sonlight. They did find a way to align it. My other friend though, who used Uncle Sam, just sat down and broke volume 1 textbook into the number of weeks of her year. She did the same thing the following year with the 2nd textbook. I will probably do something similar when I use it because it is definitely a ton of reading if you put it all into one year. 

• 2 weeks later...

Both of my children who have worked in Notgrass have taken 2 years to finish as it is so much reading and activities per day.  They would read one day and do the activities and literature reading the next day.  Kind of sad as I really wanted to do all three of their programs.  

Because we actually only want to do heavy history one trimester per year Notgrass is out and Rod and Staff is in.  There are some issues with R&S for some people, but since my children also read CHOW, Story of the World, and other history books I feel that we can discuss differences in perspectives as they arise as it covers Geography, Civics, and History in one semester volumes- This will get completely done.

Brenda