Menu

Calling Dr. Hive

extendedforecast

My young adult child has had severe back pain since Sunday, occasional vomiting, and briefly had a couple of UTI symptoms that went away after a couple of days on antibiotics. The urine culture came back negative, and a cat scan did not show any abnormalities with any abdominal organs, though it did show constipation. The ER doctor ordered a dose of Toradol and something for her constipation. This same child has another medical mystery that we haven’t figured out. She has excessive discharge that tends to irritate her cervix to the point of bleeding. All testing has come back negative for yeast, bacterial infections, etc. she has been seen by three different doctors for this with no answers. Is there anything you can think of that we could be missing?

I'm sorry you're struggling with this and that your daughter has been suffering. My daughter has a rare disease and she was so sick. It took 2 years and multiple trips to many doctors and hospitals to get a diagnosis. 

Dont give up. Trust your mama instincts. Do your own research and be the best advocate for your daughter that you can be. 

Sending prayers your way. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ottakee said:

Did they do a CT? My DD had severe pain and while.x Ray showed constipation, a later CT showed infectious colitis.  Did they check for kidney stone?

She had a CAT scan which showed no abnormalities. Would a kidney stone show up on the CAT scan?

8 hours ago, Tap said:

Has she been evaluated for Toxic Shock Syndrome

No, her LMP was on the 13th, and symptoms began on the 17th. 

4 hours ago, extendedforecast said:

She had a CAT scan which showed no abnormalities. Would a kidney stone show up on the CAT scan?

Yea, a CT/CAT scan will show kidney stones. 

How is she doing on the constipation med?  I would see if that helps. It can cause back pain and severe pain can cause vomiting. If it continues I would take her to a gastroenterologist. 

On 6/23/2018 at 4:31 AM, extendedforecast said:

Said nicely.....That wouldn't have anything to do with her having toxic shock syndrome. It is a complication to an infection.  One of the causes of TSS is tampon use, but there are other ways to get it.  But...if it was related to tampons, the information provided wouldn't preclude it as a cause.