Menu

Dyslexic student accomendations

Ggg

14 hours ago, Ggg said:

What do you recomend for TEXT to Speech?

What do you recomend for e-reader pen?

What are some good sites that read books?

Thank you,

Lisa

I don’t know answers to your questions but am also interested in e-reader pens and text to speech. 

I don’t understand your last question. Do you mean things like Aaudible and Learning Ally?

On Win and MacOS machines, text to speech is a built-in function and needs to be enabled.  Google the instructions.  On our Windows machines, we use TTS in Word and Adobe.  On the Mac, you highlight what you want to be read aloud and then hit a specific keystroke.  You'll need to look the keystroke info up under MacOS settings.  For Internet browsing, there is an extenson called SpeakIt that may be added to the Chrome Browser.   

For books, son's Kindle Touch and Fire both have a built-in TTS function that works with TTS enabled Kindle books.  We also use TTS for books on Androids and the iPad using an app called Voice Dream.  Lastly, on my Ipad, I can highlight whatever I want to be read aloud, select the speak option, and the device reads the highlighted selection.

We don't use a pen reader; however, you may want to take a look at the Claro app for iPads and iPods.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2018 at 8:27 AM, Pen said:

I don’t know answers to your questions but am also interested in e-reader pens and text to speech. 

I don’t understand your last question. Do you mean things like Aaudible and Learning Ally?

Yes - Asudible or Learning Ally...does either have text books?  Thank you

On 6/22/2018 at 9:01 AM, Heathermomster said:

On Win and MacOS machines, text to speech is a built-in function and needs to be enabled.  Google the instructions.  On our Windows machines, we use TTS in Word and Adobe.  On the Mac, you highlight what you want to be read aloud and then hit a specific keystroke.  You'll need to look the keystroke info up under MacOS settings.  For Internet browsing, there is an extenson called SpeakIt that may be added to the Chrome Browser.   

For books, son's Kindle Touch and Fire both have a built-in TTS function that works with TTS enabled Kindle books.  We also use TTS for books on Androids and the iPad using an app called Voice Dream.  Lastly, on my Ipad, I can highlight whatever I want to be read aloud, select the speak option, and the device reads the highlighted selection.

We don't use a pen reader; however, you may want to take a look at the Claro app for iPads and iPods.

Thank you I had no idea Win had text to speech--

Can you get text books on a Kindle reader?  

Thank you,

Son uses the Voice Dream app to download and use Bookshare books.  There are multiple digital voices available with Voice Dream, and some voices are free while others are low cost.

Bookshare books may be listened to online, but we have no experience with that feature.  Son has also requested and received text books in Bookshare format.  It took about 4-5 weeks for Bookshare to process his requests.

Anyone can search books available without a Book Share account...

https://www.bookshare.org/cms/

• Like 1

Bookshare has a robot reader. Learning Ally has humans. Both have textbooks  With enough lead time it theoretically is (or at least used to be) possible to have them put a textbook assigned for a class into their offerings if it isn’t already. I don’t currently have either so am not up to date on this  

I just succeeded in getting my new iPhone to read pretty much any text on it, such as from Kindle or Hoopla or Library 2Go. I found I liked and could understand the default male UK voice better than the American one. My ds has known how to do this for a couple of years, but I am a dinosaur. 

• Like 2

For text to speech  software, I have found that Snap N Read is the cheapest/best option that has OCR. It does not do numbers will and is very ropotic sounding, but it has been very good with PDFs and etextbooks that don't come with audio. It came on a disc, but I loaded a copy onto a USB so my DS can take it with him and use on any computer.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2018 at 11:53 AM, City Mouse said:

For text to sorach software, I have found that Snao N Read is the cheapest/best option that has OCR. It does not do numbers will and is very ropotic sounding, but it has been very good with PDFs and etextbooks that don't come with audio. It came on a disc, but I loaded a copy onto a USB so my DS can take it with him and use on any computer.

Thank you - I will need to check into this, I really like the idea of putting it on a USB.

On 6/23/2018 at 11:11 PM, Heathermomster said:

Son uses the Voice Dream app to download and use Bookshare books.  There are multiple digital voices available with Voice Dream, and some voices are free while others are low cost.

Bookshare books may be listened to online, but we have no experience with that feature.  Son has also requested and received text books in Bookshare format.  It took about 4-5 weeks for Bookshare to process his requests.

Anyone can search books available without a Book Share account...

https://www.bookshare.org/cms/

Thank you - I will look into Voice Dream--he needed a book for his Worship Arts Intership and we purchased it through Amazon Audible it sounds robotic, but he is able to answer all the end of chapter questions so it is working.  I plan to look into it all...

On 6/23/2018 at 11:20 PM, arliemaria said:

We’ve mostly been requesting nearly every Playaway from our library system.

Yes, our library also has Hoopla and Overdrive subscriptions that we make HEAVY use of. Overdrive, in particular, will let us borrow 10 at a time on *each* persons account... In a family of  6, that goes an awfully long way....

I don't know that they have textbooks, but they have a substantial collection of books.

2 hours ago, Ggg said:

Thank you - I will look into Voice Dream--he needed a book for his Worship Arts Intership and we purchased it through Amazon Audible it sounds robotic, but he is able to answer all the end of chapter questions so it is working.  I plan to look into it all...

Audible has live human readers—IME usually they are excellent.  

I guess you got a bad one, but I don’t think VD will help with Audible recordings.

I tend to listen to a sample of Audible books before buying. Sometimes I have even searched for favorite narrators, and taken a look at what they have recorded. 

• Like 1

My son isn’t bothered by digital voice, and he listens to books at an accelerated speed.  All voices, digital or otherwise, sound strange when accelerated so it makes no difference to him.  

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brettnelson/2012/06/04/do-you-read-fast-enough-to-be-successful/#66667e0b462e

It’s important that our students learn to listen to books at 300-450 wpm if they are college bound.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Heathermomster said:

My son isn’t bothered by digital voice, and he listens to books at an accelerated speed.  All voices, digital or otherwise, sound strange when accelerated so it makes no difference to him.  

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brettnelson/2012/06/04/do-you-read-fast-enough-to-be-successful/#66667e0b462e

It’s important that our students learn to listen to books at 300-450 wpm if they are college bound.

Good to know thank you so much-hopefully he will because he loves to talk so fast that one needs to ask him to slow down 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Pen said:

Audible has live human readers—IME usually they are excellent.  

I guess you got a bad one, but I don’t think VD will help with Audible recordings.

I tend to listen to a sample of Audible books before buying. Sometimes I have even searched for favorite narrators, and taken a look at what they have recorded. 

Well was in a hurry and wanted to make sure he could get the work done for church-- and honeslty this is all new and working on learning for everyone --I so appreciate it

8 hours ago, Ggg said:

He has PC, Android phone and my husband has an old ipad he can use if needed(I think) 

All the things he has are not ones I am very familiar with.

But Try the voices available on the iPad assuming that they are the same as for Mac.  I prefer Alex and Daniel. Some people I know prefer Samantha. Alex is free on my Mac and Daniel and Samantha are free on my phone. There are enhanced versions available for a fee but I’ve been okay with the standard ones.  

If PC and Android have preinstalled free TTS voices too, it might be helpful for him to listen to them in the same way. 

• Like 1