Menu

I am so upset and disappointed about this schedule conflict (venty)

Ginevra

5 hours ago, LucyStoner said:

Graduation is at 7.  

Game is at 7:30.  

I assume the graduate has to be there early for rehearsal or reception or whatnot.  So using one car:

Both parents and the kids drive to graduation.

One parent leaves to drop baseball player off at 6:30-6:45 while the other parent saves the seats at graduation.  

That parent returns in time for graduation to start at 7.  

Both parents enjoy the graduation.  On the go dinner between graduation game pick-up.  

Everyone picks up the ball player.  

Dinner out the next day to celebrate.  

This is pretty close to how it played out, except DS18 drive himself early to the school for class photos. And I ordered a pizza which we ate at home and then sundaes. 

And DS13’s team won. And he reportedly had two excellent hits. (Truthfully, he was a little sad that he had two great hits that neither parent witnessed. But he will get over it.) Graduation was so great! 

It’s true what they say; it does go fast. He was a baby and then he was ten and then he was 18. 

• Like 11

I'm glad it worked out. Congratulations to both boys!

I'm more than a little worried now that we will face a graduation conflict in the future, because it recently occurred to me that since DD12 and DS13 attend different schools but are in the same grade, that they might both graduate from high school on the same day in two different locations. I'm really hoping that doesn't happen!! I looked up the schedules for this year, and one school had their ceremony on Saturday and the other had it on Sunday, so I'm hoping they stick to that pattern.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Quill said:

This whole baseball season, DS13’s team has been a problem, unfortunately. There were only 8 team members from the start. For most games, we borrowed a player from the opposite team; never a winning strategy, to be sure. Then, one of our players broke his arm, so now we are down to 7 playable players. Because of this, it’s imperative that all players attend every game if it is at all possible. 

So. Now we’re in playoffs. Tonight is most likely the last game we will play. Only tonight is also graduation for DS18. Ideally, we would all attend the graduation, then go out to dinner. But that is not going to happen. I thought we were going to have a pretty good scenario because the field they were supposed to play on is only five minutes from the school, so I thought we could drop DS13 off, go to graduation (true, DS13 would miss graduation and we would miss his game, but...) and then pick him up at game end and all go to dinner (looking like an odd bunch, however). But due to the monsoons here, he cannot be at that field and has been moved to a turf field 15 minutes from the school, AND now his game is supposed to start at 7:30, while the graduation begins at 7. This also means the game will last until 9 or later, making the dinner moot or moot for some of us. 

I am so steamed. There is no good solution here. We will have to drop DS13 at the field early so we don’t miss our son walking across the stage. At some point DH will need to go get DS13, so if we are finished graduation and go to dinner, DH will have to leave dinner, which makes being out to dinner not fun to me. (I don’t care about the meal; I care about the celebration together.) Or we can skip going to dinner altogether and DH can go pick up DS and return back home. 

That was long and babbly. I wish there was a good solution but I’m not coming up with one. If DS13 does not go to the game, they will be forced to forfeit. There won’t be another night this week that we can all go to dinner together. 

I'm very sorry about that. I am a bit surprised nobody mentioned a carpool option for your younger son. I can see him not going to HS graduation and being disappointed, but proud to support his team. I can't see the coach saying "sorry no, minivan's all full up". Can't anyone else on the team drive DS13 to the game and then back into town to the dinner where you all are seated? I've done the same for kids I don't know well.

Whoops: didn't see the updates. Glad it worked out!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Quill said:

This is pretty close to how it played out, except DS18 drive himself early to the school for class photos. And I ordered a pizza which we ate at home and then sundaes. 

And DS13’s team won. And he reportedly had two excellent hits. (Truthfully, he was a little sad that he had two great hits that neither parent witnessed. But he will get over it.) Graduation was so great! 

It’s true what they say; it does go fast. He was a baby and then he was ten and then he was 18. 

Well, you didn't miss it for a TV show or something, his brother was graduating, so he can definitely get over it. Congrats on his hits. ?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

Did I miss where you couldn’t just divide and conquer, with one adult responsible for one boy and another responsible for the other?  Then at least one parent is at graduation.   ?

Wow, I can't imagine missing my own kid's graduation to get my other kid to a baseball game! People are so different.