Menu

How do you add more review to Math Mammoth?

MamaHill

We love the format of Math Mammoth - the direct teaching on the page, intentional teaching of mental math concepts, solid word problems, no separate TMs, the extra videos are wonderful, etc.

However, I have a couple of kiddos that could benefit from a more spiral approach.  They complete the Mixed Review at the end of each chapter, but they could use a bit more review throughout the chapter.

I'm trying to wrap my brain around what that would look like.

The lessons in MM are already so long that I occasionally split them into two days.  I can't imagine adding any more work into the math portion of the day.  It would just be too much.

But they're already a little behind  where I want them to be in math, so I don't want to stretch the lessons out even more so they get through the level slower.

I don't require that my 1st and 3rd graders complete all of the problems in the section.  I sit with them for math, so if they show a few times over that they have the concept, we skip the next ones.  My 5th grader, however, asks to do all of the problems because she wants the extra practice.  She struggles with math and doing all of the problems makes her feel more confident.

I will admit that I've looked at CLE Math about 100 times and really like the way it spirals.  But we already own all levels of MM and I know my kiddos can work through it successfully, so I'm hesitant to switch. I feel certain they would place a grade level behind if we did switch. So then there's that. But it's format is very enticing!

So how do you add review for those kiddos that could use a bit more spiral, but want to stick with a mastery approach? Any other thoughts/wisdom you could share?

There are a couple things you can do before jumping ship.  First of all, work out of two chapters at a time.  So maybe you are doing a page from a chapter on multi digit subtraction with regrouping and then you are doing a page from something like geometry, money, or measurement.  Also, there are cumulative reviews in a separate folder from your download.  You might do the cumulative review for chapters 1-3 when you are about midway through chapter 4.  I actually print all the cumulative reviews out at the beginning of the year and stick them in with the other pages so that they show up a few weeks after the last chapter in the review.  They are editable too, so it is kind of fun to put their names into story problems and get a little ridiculous just to keep things interesting.

If the above changes are still insufficient for review/spiral, you can try the new spiral review workbooks.  I haven’t used these, but it seems that it would be adding about 1/2 page per day to whatever they are normally doing in order to still finish a grade level in a school year.  Don’t be afraid to switch though if you think it is best.  I couldn’t get math mammoth spiral enough for my dd without an insane amount of effort.  I switched her to CLE and added fan math for the problem solving and mental math aspect that was included with math mammoth.  The problem solving in Fan math is even a bit more explicit than what is in math mammoth so I don’t think it was a step down at all.  There may be some backing up, but CLE has only 170 lessons per grade if you do all the units.  If you maintain light math through the summer you can skip the first light unit of subsequent grades since it is review of the previous grade.  That drops you to 153 lessons.  I also found that CLE had more review than we needed so we skip the quizzes and only do the light unit tests.  That drops 18 more days.  We are really much happier with our cle/fan math combo than we were when I was hacking math mammoth to bits and reassembling it to make it spiral.

• Like 2

We only use a few MM blue units but in general for review I print random worksheets or simple games free on the internet for routine problems like on the four operations. If its a specific topic that seems to require a looong review (like clocks and money for my kid) then I use Kumon workbooks and have him do a page every two weeks or so.

• Like 1

I use the MM extra worksheet generator for extra practice on concepts they struggle with. It's not perfect, but I like Math Mammoth's approach too much to have any desire to switch. And like a PP said, I use the cumulative review worksheets for practice. I've also just re-printed the review sheets from the end of the chapter and had them re-do the same problems for extra practice. By the time I have them do another review, they don't remember what the exact problems were the first time around anyway ?

I also am not a big fan of how MM approaches geometry past about 4th grade, so I skip those chapters and have them do other fun geometry type stuff on Fridays. We spread lessons out over 2 days frequently, and are still able to the whole level in 4 days/week about 45 min/day.

• Like 2

OH MY I am so excited about those new spiral workbooks from Math Mammoth!!  We've used MM exclusively for the past 2 years, and I had no idea they were in the works.

I just purchased and downloaded and I think they are going to be the perfect fit.  Now keep in mind that I haven't put this into practice yet...but my plan is to go through and break up the sections and do just a few problems each day.  3-4 at the most.  Then there's a little bit of spiral each day without being overwhelming and without adding a ton of more time to our math portion of the day.

I feel so positive and hopeful about this solution! 

And I know that CLE plus Fan math is still there should this not do the trick.

Thank you for all of your replies!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, fourisenough said:

Simple Solutions CC Math. We used it alongside MM from 4th or 5th grade on. It has been brilliant for my MM grad (who used the SS 8 book all through Algebra 1 to stay fresh on all pre-Algebra topics).

Thank you! I'll tuck this away just in case the spiral from MM doesn't quite work out like I think (hope) it will.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2018 at 12:35 PM, fourisenough said:

Simple Solutions CC Math. We used it alongside MM from 4th or 5th grade on. It has been brilliant for my MM grad (who used the SS 8 book all through Algebra 1 to stay fresh on all pre-Algebra topics).

So the sprial-ness (is that a word?!) of the Skills Review Worksheets from MM isn't quite what I need.  I looked at the Simple Solutions Math and it is exactly what I had in mind.  It's very similar to the spiral portion of CLE.

But you can't order them individually, as they're only sold to schools.  I've looked on Amazon for a used copy, but the prices are outrageous.

Where did you purchase your copy?  Any ideas where I can find a workbook for Level 3?

5 minutes ago, MamaHill said:

So the sprial-ness (is that a word?!) of the Skills Review Worksheets from MM isn't quite what I need.  I looked at the Simple Solutions Math and it is exactly what I had in mind.  It's very similar to the spiral portion of CLE.

But you can't order them individually, as they're only sold to schools.  I've looked on Amazon for a used copy, but the prices are outrageous.

Where did you purchase your copy?  Any ideas where I can find a workbook for Level 3?

You can definitely order them directly from the company by calling and identifying yourself as a home educator (I think I provided them with DOB/grade level of each student). Their customer service guy is really great. Once you’ve created an account with him, you can order easily the next year. I suspect they have that language on their website to discourage families from schools where the products are used from getting a copy of the answer keys. 

Just now, fourisenough said:

You can definitely order them directly from the company by calling and identifying yourself as a home educator (I think I provided them with DOB/grade level of each student). Their customer service guy is really great. Once you’ve created an account with him, you can order easily the next year. I suspect they have that language on their website to discourage families from schools where the products are used from getting a copy of the answer keys. 

Oh wonderful!!  I will definitely call tomorrow and inquire. 

As a last resort, I thought that I could order CLE and only use the spiral "We Remember" portion of their curriculum. That would be a bit pricey, but if all else fails, I could do that.  I can still use MM on a daily basis, and then use selections from the We Remember section each day.

Thank you for your quick response! ?

13 hours ago, MamaHill said:

I'm in a similar situation to you, I think. Both of my DDs use MM, but my younger daughter, who is going into 3rd grade, could use more spiral review. I too have looked at CLE many times, but I really like MM and would prefer not to switch. I was going to use the MM Skills Review Worksheets with her, but I'm curious now why they didn't work out for you?

32 minutes ago, Vintage81 said:

I'm in a similar situation to you, I think. Both of my DDs use MM, but my younger daughter, who is going into 3rd grade, could use more spiral review. I too have looked at CLE many times, but I really like MM and would prefer not to switch. I was going to use the MM Skills Review Worksheets with her, but I'm curious now why they didn't work out for you?

Yes, I understand not wanting to switch! I just don't want to give up the critical thinking aspect of MM. It's infused into every lesson, and my children need that.

The MM Skills Review worksheets will work just fine for my younger girl (1st grade). But for my rising 4th grader, she needs a different type of review. She needs money, time, multiplication facts, etc in front of her every single day. Just a problem or two of each will be plenty for her.  The Skills Review worksheets just need a bit more variety for her. Don't get me wrong, I think they are wonderful, but for this particular child, she needs something else.  I even thought about cutting and pasting the parts I wanted to create her a new worksheet each day, but that's just way too much work.

I've spoken with the Simple Solutions people today, and they were extremely helpful and very willing to work with me.  The books are $23.75 each (eek!), which is pretty pricey for a daily review workbook (imo), but I'm going to get it for her.  I really appreciate fourisenough's suggestion and testimony of how well it's worked for her kiddo.  So we will give it a try!

I'll report back here once we've used it a bit.  We're finishing up third grade next week, taking the week of the 4th off, and then starting back early July.  So I'll be able to report back here hopefully at the end of July/beginning of August! ?

22 minutes ago, MamaHill said:

Yes, I understand not wanting to switch! I just don't want to give up the critical thinking aspect of MM. It's infused into every lesson, and my children need that.

The MM Skills Review worksheets will work just fine for my younger girl (1st grade). But for my rising 4th grader, she needs a different type of review. She needs money, time, multiplication facts, etc in front of her every single day. Just a problem or two of each will be plenty for her.  The Skills Review worksheets just need a bit more variety for her. Don't get me wrong, I think they are wonderful, but for this particular child, she needs something else.  I even thought about cutting and pasting the parts I wanted to create her a new worksheet each day, but that's just way too much work.

I've spoken with the Simple Solutions people today, and they were extremely helpful and very willing to work with me.  The books are $23.75 each (eek!), which is pretty pricey for a daily review workbook (imo), but I'm going to get it for her.  I really appreciate fourisenough's suggestion and testimony of how well it's worked for her kiddo.  So we will give it a try!

I'll report back here once we've used it a bit.  We're finishing up third grade next week, taking the week of the 4th off, and then starting back early July.  So I'll be able to report back here hopefully at the end of July/beginning of August! ?

Thanks for the information. I'll have to take a closer look at the MM Skills Review Worksheets to see if they're really what I'm needing. Based on what you're saying they may not be. ?

I hope the Simple Solutions book works well for your DD! It definitely looks intriguing. I look forward to your update. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MamaHill said:

You might also want to peek at the Evan moor daily math practice books.  They seem to be more varied than the mm spiral, but are cheaper, easier to obtain, and perhaps less onerous-looking to a child than the simple solutions lessons.

On 6/19/2018 at 12:50 PM, Syllieann said:

You might also want to peek at the Evan moor daily math practice books.  They seem to be more varied than the mm spiral, but are cheaper, easier to obtain, and perhaps less onerous-looking to a child than the simple solutions lessons.

Thank you for that suggestion!  Yes, they are definitely easier to obtain (L-O-V-E that Amazon Prime...plus I see that you can download a digital version from the Evan Moor site).  

Yesterday, the Simple Solutions people were so nice and willing to help until we go to the part where I actually pay.  Now, I'm having some trouble getting a response.  So we shall see what happens there.

The Evan Moor is a better alternative than my taking the CLE pages and using just the review portion.  I'll make this my Plan B. ?  Thank you!

We are longtime MM users and have used  Math Minutes for review. I wanted more spiral review but didn't want to incorporate another workbook that would add to the overall amount of time my kids were spending on math daily. MM is plenty of math by itself. My kids just needed a quick review page to touch on a variety of skills at a simple level. You might want to check them out. At times, the skills didn't overlap perfectly. For example, Math Minutes might assign a kind of fraction problem before we had introduced that particular fraction concept in MM. Not a big deal. A quick scan of the page will alert you to any problems like that. 

6 hours ago, Little Blue House said:

We are longtime MM users and have used  Math Minutes for review. I wanted more spiral review but didn't want to incorporate another workbook that would add to the overall amount of time my kids were spending on math daily. MM is plenty of math by itself. My kids just needed a quick review page to touch on a variety of skills at a simple level. You might want to check them out. At times, the skills didn't overlap perfectly. For example, Math Minutes might assign a kind of fraction problem before we had introduced that particular fraction concept in MM. Not a big deal. A quick scan of the page will alert you to any problems like that. 

Yes, my feelings are exactly yours in that there is plenty of math work with MM each day, but my 4th grader (especially) needs a quickie one-page spiral review.

So according to the online samples, Math Minutes is very similar to Simple Solutions...except HALF the price! And I just ordered the Simple Solutions this morning! Too bad.  They both have a similar number of problems on the page, with the same type of variety.

My girls will need the next level books in the coming months, so I will just give Math Minutes a whirl then.  I really appreciate you suggesting it!